Bringing soda on RCL in Galveston

crpbmp2011

This is our first cruise on Royal Caribbean so I am wondering how they are on allowing you to bring your own soda on board... Carnival never gave us any problems when we brought a 12 pack in our carry-on.

Just want to bring my own Dr. Pepper since they don't have it on board :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is our first cruise on Royal Caribbean so I am wondering how they are on allowing you to bring your own soda on board... Carnival never gave us any problems when we brought a 12 pack in our carry-on.

We just recently cruise on Navigator out of Galveston and we carried on some Dr. Peppers. It is strictly against the rules but I like to have the small bottles in our cabin to take my medicine with and if I want something to drink in the middle of the night. I also bought the soft drink package which I really enjoyed except for when the bars were so busy it was hard to get a drink. We had no problem getting them on. Most people say that the hardest time to get them on is during Spring break.

Just for your information, they actually do have Dr. Pepper on the Navigator. Dr. Pepper is bottled by Coca Cola in Texas.

Hope you have a great cruise!

it really is hit or miss. my 12-pack of water was confiscated (I could have taken it to the car but it wasn't worth the walk to save $3) even though it was still sealed. I even tried a second pack in my checked and that never made it on board.

it really is hit or miss. my 12-pack of water was confiscated (I could have taken it to the car but it wasn't worth the walk to save $3) even though it was still sealed. I even tried a second pack in my checked and that never made it on board.

We have not had issues with 12packs.

And while bottled in Texas, Dr. Pepper is not a part of CocaCola.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We have not had issues with 12packs.

And while bottled in Texas, Dr. Pepper is not a part of CocaCola.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I know they had Dr. Pepper on the ship. I assumed that Texas was like Arkansas. In Arkansas Dr. Pepper is distributed by Coca Cola. I guess I used the incorrect word. Sorry!

According to RCI, taking ANYTHING other than two bottles of wine onboard is forbidden. You may or may not have it confiscated when you arrive and go through security.

Personally, I can handle taking my medications with the free water that is already on the ship. Selling those things is a profit item for the cruise line. Any contriband (and that really is what you are bringing on the ship) just cuts into their profit and increases the odds that the prices charged for the cruise will increase. You may say "It is only a 12-pack", but do the math. If they are making just $1 per drink profit (and my guess is they make more than that) and an average of 2,000 took that many "illegal" drinks onto the ship it cost the line over $28,704,000 profit each year for all their ships. And that doesn't include the extra fuel needed to propel the ships.

Well ifthey offered every soda brand on board it wouldn't be a big deal... That's why I'm asking! I don't want coke products

You do realize that there is in excess of 120 different carbonated beverages sold in the US. :eek: Then add the different brands of bottled water (because someone just cannot live without Vitaminwater...even though they only have 3% of the market, meaning less than a dozen people on board probably drink it regularly).

In my opinion...if you cannot go without ANYTHING that isn't absolutely necessary to sustain human life for a week, you have a problem. :D

But that's just me...YMMV

According to RCI, taking ANYTHING other than two bottles of wine onboard is forbidden. You may or may not have it confiscated when you arrive and go through security.

Personally, I can handle taking my medications with the free water that is already on the ship. Selling those things is a profit item for the cruise line. Any contriband (and that really is what you are bringing on the ship) just cuts into their profit and increases the odds that the prices charged for the cruise will increase. You may say "It is only a 12-pack", but do the math. If they are making just $1 per drink profit (and my guess is they make more than that) and an average of 2,000 took that many "illegal" drinks onto the ship it cost the line over $28,704,000 profit each year for all their ships. And that doesn't include the extra fuel needed to propel the ships.

In my case, I am not costing them any profit because as I said I had already bought the soft drink package from them. I just prefer to have bottles in the room when I would like something to drink especially since I have mobility problems and it is not easy for me to just run somewhere and get a drink.

Another problem I have with it is every other cruiseline that we have been on allow passengers to take drinks on board

It is fine if you like water and want to use it to take your medicine. However, I do not like water and do not drink it to take my medicines. I do drink bottled water once in a while but I prefer something else.

You do realize that there is in excess of 120 different carbonated beverages sold in the US. :eek: Then add the different brands of bottled water (because someone just cannot live without Vitaminwater...even though they only have 3% of the market, meaning less than a dozen people on board probably drink it regularly).

In my opinion...if you cannot go without ANYTHING that isn't absolutely necessary to sustain human life for a week, you have a problem. :D

But that's just me...YMMV

I could do without it if I absolutely had to but I prefer not too. I believe that should be my choice. I don't believe that RCCL will be losing any more money than any other cruise line which allows people to bring drinks on.

If you enjoy soft drinks then you might feel differently.

we ended up having our stateroom attendant keep the ice bucket full and we just did the tap water with ice. the ship's water really wasn't that bad, a lot better than tap in some cities. every time we came back from the buffet we brought a glass or two each and we never ran out.

I could do without it if I absolutely had to but I prefer not too. I believe that should be my choice. I don't believe that RCCL will be losing any more money than any other cruise line which allows people to bring drinks on.

If you enjoy soft drinks then you might feel differently.

Oh...it is your choice. You can choose;

1) Book a cruise on RCI and choose to follow their rules

2) Book a cruise on RCI and choose NOT to follow their rules (and deal with possible ramifications)

3) Book a cruise on a line that lets you do what you want

I was just pointing out that there is a significant financial hit incurred by the line when people bring things on board that are not allowed. Besides, I never said any cruise line was losing money by allowing drinks to be carried on by passengers. However, it does adversly impact the profit. Bottom line is the primary responsibility of every business is to make a profit for their owners.

If I were CEO of the line my instructions would be to confiscate "illegal" things. Anything non-alcoholic would be periodically donated to homeless shelters in the port cities. That way the "bad press" of enforcing the rules would be more than offset but the "good press" when we tip the media.

TC1957, are you the same goofball driving 62 in front of me in the left lane?

Run your company like you want, let RCCL run their company like they want. As to confiscation, 99% of those decisions are based on power and control egos, not dollars and cents.

Sure, line up 2000 pax at spring break all carrying rolling coolers - you will see a micro blip on the bottom line. NOT due to beverage sales, but due to security and other customer impacts. You have average families bringing 12 cans on, that is so far to a rounding error you can't imagine.

And so what if it does? RCCL raises their price, hurray for them. I decide to keep sailing and you guys can stay home.

TC1957, are you the same goofball driving 62 in front of me in the left lane?

Run your company like you want, let RCCL run their company like they want. As to confiscation, 99% of those decisions are based on power and control egos, not dollars and cents.

Sure, line up 2000 pax at spring break all carrying rolling coolers - you will see a micro blip on the bottom line. NOT due to beverage sales, but due to security and other customer impacts. You have average families bringing 12 cans on, that is so far to a rounding error you can't imagine.

And so what if it does? RCCL raises their price, hurray for them. I decide to keep sailing and you guys can stay home.

Play nice:(

It is dollars and cents - bottom line of any company is affected.

But TC1957 was not being rude - however:rolleyes:

I hope you a talking about bringing the "good" Dr. Pepper. :D and not the stuff the rest of the country gets. I usually grab a 12 pack from the HEB everytime i see it on the shelf just to have some in the fridge. Sorry those not in TX who have no idea what I am talking about, but we have to keep the good stuff here, if you want some you will just have to come and visit.

The whole country will fall down around us while playing nice.

I didn't start the tangent that we are some big collective and that more rules was to the betterment of all of us. But once out there, I am happy to reply nice or not, that is a dangerous way to think.

If we can't see this over a can of Dr. Pepper (mmmm delicious), then no wonder we can't see it across the next generation of misery headed our way.

The calculation of bottom line is enormously complex and dynamic. Should RCCL never have sales? Doesn't that lower price affect bottom line? Yes for a split second, but according to their planning - it is more than made up for in cash flow and steady booking rates.

My bottom line? Common and decent sense. Don't bring on ten gallons of vodka stuffed in your socks (cool trick), patronize the cruiselines and staff along the way, and stay they heck out of other people's business.

Eh, ignore the post. What will it matter?

I normally stay out of other people's business...up until it can have an impact on MY business. The cost of my cabin is impacted by the bottom line. If it isn't large enough, the price goes up. I am intelligent enough to know that the bottom line is a complex thing. Hopefully people are intelligent enough to understand that smuggling things on board impacts everyone. Even if it doesn't ultimately increase cost. A few years back, bringing ANYTHING to drink onto a RCI ship was prohibited. They finally agreed to allow two bottles of wine. If people keep bringing on hard liqour (in rum runners), soft drinks, water, etc. and cutting into their profits it is reasonable to expect the line to just ban all liquids.

I know it is anecdotal and many will not believe it, but my cousin and her husband are retired and cruise A LOT (three or four times a year). We were talking at a family reunion about cruising and she mentioned how much more water and soda she has seen during embarkation. Is it possible her observation is abnormal and skewing the amount high...yes. It is also possible that it is skewing the amount low.

My calculation may be high. But the average RCI ship has 3,000 berths and in their last annual report they cited sailing with an average of 104% capacity...or 3,120 passengers. Do 2/3 bring on a 12-pack? Of course not. But on our last cruise the family of three in front of us in line had two cases with them (an average of 16 per person). Additionally, a cruise line makes more than $1 per drink. The majority may bring on water and soda but a lot bring adult libations and that profit is a lot higher. Even if it only cost an average or $5 per passenger...that is $15,600 per cruise. That ship sails year round...that is $811,200 a year. But wait...there's more! RCI has 23 ships (per their site)...that is $18,657,600.

One of the problems I see with people is general is the "Me" mentality. The "I should be able to have my favorite drink regardless of where I go." Do they also sneak drinks into restaurants, sporting events, movies, bars, etc.? Those places do not offer every option in the marketplace...what is different?

If in your world it is all about you and others don't matter...bring on anything you want. I find it hypocritical when people complain about others breaking some rules, turn around and break the ones they don't like and then complain when they have to suffer the consequences. Do I follow every rule...of course not. Believe it on not on an open highway I sometimes speed. But not when others are in the car. That way when I break the rule it only impacts me and if I get caught I just pay the fine.

When it comes to rules like the one discussed...I just follow it. I can survive and enjoy a vacation if I don't have that special drink. It isn't a huge sacrafice and I understand that sometimes like isn't fair and I won't get exactly what I want.

Just my opinion...

I brought 3 bottles of each, zero cal powerade and water, on our last cruise nothing was said or confiscated. PowerAde was in checked bag and water was carried on board

In the past ive brought soda or water on, even in the middle of a B2B nothing ever said by security or crew.