Venice Vaporetto or Walking?

cleobella

I am trying to decide if we should buy a three day vaporetto pass, or if this is not worth it. We plan to take the vaporetto at least once but I

am thinking that we may just be able to reach most place by walking. Our hotel is near Piazza Roma-so I it looks like most attractions are within about a 2 km radius, which is manageable. My husband has a really bad back and cannot walk or stand for long periods of time.

I am not a fan of the vaporettos and use them as a last resort. They grind to a halt and this is like nails on a chalkboard to me. I'd rather walk because you can almost walk as quickly as taking the vaporetto. That said- with someone who has trouble walking, it is a good option. You could also splurge and do a water taxi. Everyone should do this at least once because it is really fun.

Venice is really for walkers. The charm of it is walking through the maze like alleys. From Piazzale Roma, just follow the signs (they are on the side of the buildings) to San Marco and coming back to your hotel, follow the signs to Piazzale Roma. You may want to try walking one way (takes 20 minutes without stopping to shop or browse) and then take the vaporetto back.

If you are in Venice for three days- you may want to visit the Island of Burano. It takes about 40-50 minutes to get there and your husband will be able to stand up and move around. Burano is really compact and less hustle bustle than Venice. You can do your shopping there without breaking a sweat. They'll mail everything home for you. I bought neat things there- mosaic frames and jester dolls. There are places your husband can sit and relax if walking is too much.

If you take the vaporetto to "Giardini" there is a park there that is relaxing with benches. More of a residential place where you can go to escape the mobs of tourists.

To answer your question.. I would get the passes because it sounds like walking may not be in the cards and if you are relying on transportation.. this is the only real means, beside a water taxi or gondola.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

I think, especially if someone has a limitation, the vaporetto pass is an excellent idea. You can wander until you are too tired to go any further and then just hop the vaporetto back to your hotel. If the weather is bad you can take the vaporetto everywhere and stay dry, or even do a round trip without getting off, and also go to Murano and the other outer islands. I was intimidated by the vaporetto the first time I was in Venice but now would not think of not investing in a pass. On the express vaporetto down the Grand canal I love that they announce the upcoming stop with "nexta stoppa".

My best advice for Venice is to visit Piazza San Marco in the early morning or the evening. If it is the fall and they are experiencing an acqua alta, stay away from the area entirely! Also, the back alleys and real neighborhoods in Venice are so fun to get lost in and are where you will find the best food in Venice.

Edited by Carolyn R

We enjoy using the vaparetto system. While you can walk almost anywhere in 30 minutes, you are always walking up and down the stairs at the bridges over small canals. In our experience (two week long stays in 2012 and 2009 plus several short term stays) it will rain. While the vaparettos are not totally weather proof, they can be drier than a walk. In our last stay we rented an apartment in the Zaterre. While it would have been a 30 minute walk from near the Rialto Bridge, we were tired and did not want to walk. My suggestion, but the 3 day pass. If you are going to Murano or Lido, you can use the vaporetto.

Enjoy

I walked a TON in Venice. It's a perfect city for walking. I walked several times from my hotel at P. Roma to the San Marco area. BUT, over the course of 3 days, I also used the vaporetto enough to justify the cost of a 3-day pass. With 3 days, you'll have time to pop over to one or more of the islands for different viewpoints and sites. Sometimes after several long hours of walking around it will feel very nice to sit down and relax as the vaporetto takes you back to P. Roma area. I would vote YES on the pass.

Edited by MeHeartCruising

Hard to know how the bridge crossings will affect your husband's back. I think the 3 day pass might be a wise idea, at 7E per ride it adds up quickly. Or maybe a 48 hr pass?

Personally, I enjoy riding the vaporetto. Love watching the boat traffic and the architecture and visiting the other islands. I also enjoy wandering around but I have zero sense of direction and always get lost in Venice. Our walk from St Marks to P Roma took 4 hrs ... the lack of public seating and restrooms didn't help. It's fun to wander around, but for point to point, I prefer the vaporetto.

This link has info on walking around Venice which you might find useful: http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/finding-your-way-in-venice.htm

Have a great trip!