Shore excursions

DrJW

Well said, Bowie MeMe. Live and let live. I admire those who work so hard to plan their own tours. I am too lazy to take it up, for the most part. Maybe this is the answer to the thread on why people won't join roll calls - if they see it strictly as a way to hook up for private excursions, they may not see the need.

I am going to say it again - you all have the right to do nothing but private excursions, we get that you are happier, smarter and better. Can people please not attack and belittle people who decide to take the O tours? Can we not all "just get along?"

As has been said before, sometimes the ship's tours are chosen as a matter of convenience and - to a certain measure - security. We have enjoyed the vast majority of ship's tours we have taken. We have also enjoyed the few private tours we undertook.

We have taken many, many O excursions - NEVER were there 50 people on a bus. The groups never exceeded 35, and rarely were that large. There was always room to spread out on a bus.

Please, I respect that you all see those of us who take the ship's tours as fools and idiots. But can you show enough restraint not to say that while you are gloating in your superiority????

Thank you.

Hi, I think you are taking this the wrong way. None of us who plan private tours thinks any of you don't are "fools and idiots," but rather you aren't taking full advantage of a smaller, more intimate tour with 10 or 12 and not 35, which is a large group.That's why there is Rocky Road and Cherry Garcia!:D We are not superior in any way, shape or form, we just have different ideas, and you should respect our views as well. The best tours are not always taken up by the ship. When we were in India, we used a wonderful tour agency and it took a few days for her to get back to us with the "proper vehicle" for us. I asked if she was working with Oceania, and her response was - I never work with the cruise lines, any of them! And sometimes if the agency is big enough, you can share. That happened to us in Egypt. I booked a tour for 12 of us to go to Cairo from Alexandria and when I got off the ship, not only was our small van waiting for us (with an armed guard), but a dozen buses from the same company. I know what I paid; I know what Oceania charged - just about double. So, not everything is created equal, and as you said we should all respect each others views. Some of us are just more vocal about our tours and would never travel in a group as large as 35 - only if it were the only show in town. We love Oceania, as you can see from the previous 17 cruises we've taken with them, but we draw the line at ship's tours. And to add something else, we have never, ever been late for a departure. We always come back in plenty of time for sailing. Arlene

Well said, Bowie MeMe. Live and let live. I admire those who work so hard to plan their own tours. I am too lazy to take it up, for the most part. Maybe this is the answer to the thread on why people won't join roll calls - if they see it strictly as a way to hook up for private excursions, they may not see the need.

Apologies, did not intend to insult. Our first 2 cruises cost us an absolute fortune because we were not informed of the choices out there and that is why I am an advocate making private arrangement including tours. I have also read on CC and overheard MANY passengers complaining how they had to wait, line up, to hot, too crowded, too long a day, etc..etc..after taking O tours and transfers. This is why some should consider the alternatives...or just not complain about things they can easily eliminate by arranging their own hotel, transfers and excursions. I fully respect peoples choices:o

Well said, Arlene. I am one who prefers DIY tours but certainly don't feel superior for those who want to use ship's tours. There are many excellent reasons for doing so. My DH, otoh, likes ship's tours so I often consent for one or two on a cruise. We did so in Quebec City last week because at the last minute it seemed advantageous and we had a lot of OBC to spend.

But it doesn't matter the reason. No one should be criticized for their choices.

We did a private tour in Corner Brook, NF, but we did take into consideration that if we missed the ship (we didn't) we'd have to get to Dublin on our own.

Without passports.

That isn't an easy fate to contemplate!

Mura

Well said, Arlene. I am one who prefers DIY tours but certainly don't feel superior for those who want to use ship's tours. There are many excellent reasons for doing so. My DH, otoh, likes ship's tours so I often consent for one or two on a cruise. We did so in Quebec City last week because at the last minute it seemed advantageous and we had a lot of OBC to spend.

But it doesn't matter the reason. No one should be criticized for their choices.

We did a private tour in Corner Brook, NF, but we did take into consideration that if we missed the ship (we didn't) we'd have to get to Dublin on our own.

Without passports.

That isn't an easy fate to contemplate!

Mura

Thanks Mura. And just word about missing the ship. Your passports will be left with the port agent at the empty dock when you get back!! You would still have to get to Dublin by yourselves, but at least you'd have your passports. They cannot leave you without them. Arlene

Edited by tanny18

Thanks, Arlene. I hadn't been aware of that significant fact.

Fortunately, we've never been in that situation. Although there has been a time or two when they were calling our name and the gangway was being dismantled!

NOT OUR FAULTS. Well, mostly not.

Once (on Renaissance) my husband needed an emergency bathroom break in Oslo and we missed a bus ... the next one came half an hour later. So did three others. We actually got to the ship at 25 minutes before sail time but they were already hauling up the equipment.

In 2005 our guide parked his car a distance away (we were in Jerez de la Frontrera, docked in Cadiz) and when he went to get the car he was stuck in traffic. He floored the pedal to the metal and we got there in time, but late. Still, not too late.

On this cruise we arrived promptly at half hour on one occasion and they were already pulling up the gangway.

Just for general advice to people who want to push the issue ... these stories are over 3 cruises on Renaissance, 11 on Oceania ... and over 15 years of cruising.

We haven't missed a sailing yet and sure don't intend to!

Mura

I have often felt berated for being an excursion participant instead of DIY but my husband does not read CC and does not care what they think -- it's our money and we should have the right to spend it as we see fit and WITHOUT JUDGEMENT FOLKS. I promise not to judge you when your private trip does not go EXACTLY as planned. I also don't want to plan for other than my party who treat me pretty well even if something doesn't go exactly as it was hoped. You can't please everybody most of the time is fairly accurate and thus the excursion desk (or the one who planned for DIY) does catch much flack! If you plan it yourself all you can do is look in the mirror and be more forgiving:o but the people with you might not be so civil and might just be hostile/nasty/inconsiderate even before it went wrong) There is also the risk of hiring someone with bald tires, bad driving record, bad breath and body odor, unwilling to put on air conditioner, and the one who has a cousin with very good deal! Not to mention the one who does not show up to the far out pier that is miles from public transportation of any kind. (Beware large ships are often in ports miles from the city that appears on the itinerary). Please let those who DIY and those who leave it to the excursion desk just declare a "no comment" zone and live peacefully on our little boat in the big sea!

Edited by Bowie MeMe

Yes, it's Spain Day Tours. I know they have a great reputation, so I'm not worried about a refund, should we want or need it, although I doubt we will! Nope, I don't blame the companies for wanting a deposit either!

You're not to worry about getting a refund based on our experience but you might need one even though the cancellation is out of you control.

We were booked with Spain Day Tours for a tour of Alhambra from Malaga. That was to be our highlight tour on that cruise but unfortunately Marina did not dock due to weather/sea conditions -too windy I suspect.

Unlike a previous poster our organizer did not take on making deposits for all of us but we all did our own. As I recall SDT had a simple link to follow that connected us with the booking and it was done. I might be confusing that with not her. However even easier was the refund; one email from the organizer as we sailed away from Malaga to SDT and we each received the money refunded straight-away. Very well done.

I've always thought it was generous for those that do not request deposits. I assume the have been lucky and only had a few who have stuck them.

I have often felt berated for being an excursion participant instead of DIY but my husband does not read CC and does not care what they think -- it's our money and we should have the right to spend it as we see fit and WITHOUT JUDGEMENT FOLKS. I promise not to judge you when your private trip does not go EXACTLY as planned. I also don't want to plan for other than my party who treat me pretty well even if something doesn't go exactly as it was hoped. You can't please everybody most of the time is fairly accurate and thus the excursion desk (or the one who planned for DIY) does catch much flack! If you plan it yourself all you can do is look in the mirror and be more forgiving:o but the people with you might not be so civil and might just be hostile/nasty/inconsiderate even before it went wrong) There is also the risk of hiring someone with bald tires, bad driving record, bad breath and body odor, unwilling to put on air conditioner, and the one who has a cousin with very good deal! Not to mention the one who does not show up to the far out pier that is miles from public transportation of any kind. (Beware large ships are often in ports miles from the city that appears on the itinerary). Please let those who DIY and those who leave it to the excursion desk just declare a "no comment" zone and live peacefully on our little boat in the big sea!

The situation you describe for private tours has never happened to me and never will. Maybe to rookies. You have no idea how much planning checking and confirming is involved in doing things right

Those of us who do private tours are happy others book ship tours. Less competition for the best guides and the line makes a profit off someone else. We don't pass judgment but we do like to

Educate folks who visit the o boards that there are alternatives to Oceania's very expensive excursions

Nice to have choices

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app