How Far Ahead to book with dave and Ivan?

mark1

I would book as soon as possible. You don't have to give them a deposit, just make arrangements. You will be so glad you went with them. We booked a couple of weeks ahead then the Miracle changed it's itinerary and I tried to contact David and Ivan. They do not have a dedicated line so sometimes it takes a day or 2. We were very close to our cruise date and I was very worried. On the way to Tampa I actually got a phone call from Ivan confirming my reservation. These guys are the very best I have ever had the pleasure to tour with. I plan to return to Mexico to see several other ruins and will go with David and Ivan. They will pretty much take you where ever you want to go. My sister is going to a resort in Cancun and Ivan said he will do a tour from there for her. Incredible human beings. You will love them.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's their website: http://www.chacchobenruins.com/ Quite well done!

David grew up not far from the ruins in the town of Chacchoben, while Ivan grew up on a small farm in the midst of the ruins themselves, before they were restored. (Mayan temples that have not been disturbed for 1,500 years apparently just look like tree-covered hills in the jungle. )

I've been e-mailing Ivan the past couple of days, and he mentioned that they are considering setting up a snorkeling operation in Mahahual, if they can get the proper government authorization. We want to do a snorkeling trip when we get back from the Chacchoben ruins.

• 2 weeks later...

We went on their tour last week (August 2005). One of them talked during the ride to the ruins, the other on the way back. They took turns at the ruins telling about the history, life there and the spiritualness of the area and the meaning to the people that lived there. It was very informative and not pushy. We were very impressed - was a highlight of our cruise this year. They answered every question that was presented and even answered some questions my 10 yr old had after the tour.

The first few hundred yards are in the sun, then the rest is in the shade. It was a pleasant walk, maybe a mile total? We did walk up the side of one of the ruins to see another group of ruins at the top. There were 16 steps (?) on one side, 32 or so on the other, but they are BIG steps.

We saw a large snake in the trees (kids loved it!) and our kids found centipedes, millipedes and a toad. It was an exciting trip.

DeAnna

Archived