H - obstructed view?

joanna111

Just purchased an Aegean Explorer cruise on the Ryndam at a great price for an "H obstructed view." The next category listed is the Vista Suite. So how do they assign the intervening categories? Is there anything I can do?

Just purchased an Aegean Explorer cruise on the Ryndam at a great price for an "H obstructed view." The next category listed is the Vista Suite. So how do they assign the intervening categories? Is there anything I can do?

Joanna - I could be wrong, but I think you are reading the categories incorrectly. Category H on most ships is the LEAST EXPENSIVE of the oceanview staterooms and there are MANY categories above H before you get to the Vista Suites -- going alphabetically from H to C. Look at the specific deck plans for this ship, or go to the HAL website and review it there.

Mickie

So I'd need to call them to find out what each of those categories cost?

You can do that (call HAL), or do it yourself by going on the HAL website and make believe you are making a reservation, without putting your name or Mariner number on it. You will get to the area where you are supposed to pick a category and then you will be given the option of choosing among about a dozen different categories.

Or have your TA do it for you!!!!

m

I agree with Mickie. The obstructed view cabins are below the other oceanview categories in price.

Yet, you've stumbled on one of my little secrets -- the obstructed view cabin. We book these whenever we are able, for those times that we would rather spend $ on shore excursions or that we have to spend a lot on airfare. (In the case of Europe, that's both!) We like them as they are usually just as spacious as the regular oceanview cabins and still let in light.

JMHO.

I agree with Mickie. The obstructed view cabins are below the other oceanview categories in price.

Yet, you've stumbled on one of my little secrets -- the obstructed view cabin. We book these whenever we are able, for those times that we would rather spend $ on shore excursions or that we have to spend a lot on airfare. (In the case of Europe, that's both!) We like them as they are usually just as spacious as the regular oceanview cabins and still let in light.

JMHO.

Thank you for this! We are in a partially obstructed on the Westerdam and I was worried it would be "less than" - even tho I intend to spend every possible hour on deck or at least with a view of the ocean.

We book these cabins also for good deals. Sometimes we hope to get an upgrade but have been stung by being under the kitchen. You can still see outside with your window and the upgrade would be a little less obstructed or full window. If we are visiting many ports on the cruise, we usually don't spend much time in our rooms anyway. We like to hang out at the Crow's Nest for their gorgeous windows , great views and wonderful chairs.

When we first started cruising, we booked what we thought would be our assigned cabin straight in (the cheapest balcony cabin possible). Somehow we got lucky and were upgraded immediately. Still being a dumb newbie we went with the roll and had a ball.

My DSIL told us about Cruise Critic before we booked the second cruise and that is when the light bulb literally exploded in my head. That is when I learned that:

Book the cheapest cabin that you will be happy in. That means if you think you can deal with a cabin with no light except the artificial light - go for an inside cabin. If you HAVE to have light coming in from the outside, book a cabin with a porthole type window. If you want to have quick access to the promenade deck - go for a cabin on that deck and book the CHEAPEST.

That is where we are happiest. So for the next three cruises we booked a cabin on the promenade deck - obstructed. We were upgraded each time at no cost - a.) upgraded from fully obstructed view to a lanai on the Rotterdam. b.) upgraded from an fully obstructed view to the cheapest balcony cabin on the Oosterdam and c.) from an fully obstructed view to a full UN-obstructed view.

This upcoming trip, we booked a partially obstructed view (that was all that was available) and LAST (rather than getting a free upgrade) we were offered and took a mid-ship unobstructed BALCONY for the low cost of $29.00 each. WHOOT!!! WHOOT!!!

Remember this is all luck of the draw and I remember everyone reminding us that we are only in the cabin normally to sleep, bath and change clothes. Which is correct. So be sure you are in the cabin you will be the happiest in and pray that the upgrade fairies will be good to you.

Have a great cruise and hope you will let everyone know where you eventually landed in the ship.

Okie

Started planning the next trip - Panama Canal - February or March, 2015

Edited by Okie1946
spelling

Thanks everyone. This is a 7 day Mediterranean cruise so I think we won't spend much time in the room. This sale was an partial view for the same price as an inside -- and it looks like the Ryndam has only 20 H cabins so the chance of an upgrade is good! If not, we'll still be happy.