Dress aboard

Debbers

FYI

Northwest and Continental are following BA's lead and limiting international bags to 50 lbs, with a maximum of two per passenger, citing rising fuel costs as the justification. This won't have much of an impact since NW and CO have limited route structures to Europe. Don't know yet whether AA, Air France, Delta, Lufthansa, Icelandic, or any of Oceania's more common carriers will follow suit.

At least the fuel charge sounds more plausible than when the airlines imposed their 50 lbs cap on domestic baggage out of concern "for the safety of their baggage handlers." This seemed pretty disingenuous, especially when the airlines would allow you to break their backs for a measly $25 surcharge.

I believe many airlines only allow 20 Kilos baggage on internal flights. I also believe a Kilo is 2.2 lbs so the result is 44lbs per person baggage allowance. I was told by China Air that the charge for additional weight is $2 per kilo (about $1 per pound). Does anyone on this board know if I'm right or wrong on this).

arizonaartie

There's been a change in American Airlines' policy. Although American tried imposing a 50 lb cap on international baggage in March 2005, they've since rescinded that policy and now they'll allow bags up to 70 lbs on their international flights. They won't carry anything heavier than that on any flight with a stopover or transfer in the UK, however, consistent with a British Airport Authority rule banning luggage in excess of 32 kgs (70 lbs). (this would apply to any flights using Heathrow, Gatwick, or Stanstead). However, you can repack your belongings into third suitcase (provided that it doesn't weigh over 70 lbs) and pay $80 for the extra piece of luggage.

Other carriers maintaining the 50 lb cap impose a staggered surcharge of $25 for bags between 51 and 70 lbs, and a $50 surcharge on bags weighing between 71 and 100 lbs. But Northwest (and its partner KLM) will allow Business and First Class passengers to check in bags up to 70 lbs without a surcharge, with a $25 surcharge on bags up to 100 lbs. It's only their economy class passengers who are hit with the penalty. And neither of them will take anything heavier than 100 lbs (45 kgs).

Hope this helps!

Archived