Cruisetour in Alaska?

Hi - I was wondering if anyone had any information about the NCL cruisetours in Alaska -- both contact information, and given all the up front logistical issues, a report from someone who had a good experience with an NCL Alaska cruisetour would be most welcome!

We are booked on the Denali Express leaving 6/27, and have had all manner of problems -- with mismatched & wrong hotel vouchers & itinerary, and no one at NCL being able to answer a single question in a timely manner. Or at all, at times. Our TA has called numerous times... My dad ultimately called the VP of Sales at the tour company (Tour Alaska or Premier Alaska Tours), but they only handle logistics, and we have some other questions...

Anyone know who to call at the travel company who can answer a few questions -- about hotels or side trips/excursions, etc? Alternatively, what was YOUR experience. Although the brochure they sent us says the side trips/excursions are to be handled on the ground in Alaska, at this point, I don't trust anything about this tour that comes from NCL -- no one there has any information.

Considering it has taken 2+ weeks just to straighten out NCL's error in our travel vouchers...well, if it had been up to me, I would have organized us in a DIY, but this is my parents' event...so thank you in advance for restraining yourself from the opportunity to tell us it was a mistake. :) It is a sunk cost and we are committed -- and we will definitely have a great time in the end. It's just between now and then...

I would however welcome any "It was great!" responses.:)

Hi - I was wondering if anyone had any information about the NCL cruisetours in Alaska -- both contact information, and given all the up front logistical issues, a report from someone who had a good experience with an NCL Alaska cruisetour would be most welcome!

We are booked on the Denali Express leaving 6/27, and have had all manner of problems -- with mismatched & wrong hotel vouchers & itinerary, and no one at NCL being able to answer a single question in a timely manner. Or at all, at times. Our TA has called numerous times... My dad ultimately called the VP of Sales at the tour company (Tour Alaska or Premier Alaska Tours), but they only handle logistics, and we have some other questions...

Anyone know who to call at the travel company who can answer a few questions -- about hotels or side trips/excursions, etc? Alternatively, what was YOUR experience. Although the brochure they sent us says the side trips/excursions are to be handled on the ground in Alaska, at this point, I don't trust anything about this tour that comes from NCL -- no one there has any information.

Considering it has taken 2+ weeks just to straighten out NCL's error in our travel vouchers...well, if it had been up to me, I would have organized us in a DIY, but this is my parents' event...so thank you in advance for restraining yourself from the opportunity to tell us it was a mistake. :) It is a sunk cost and we are committed -- and we will definitely have a great time in the end. It's just between now and then...

I would however welcome any "It was great!" responses.:)

We are on the June 16 Alyeska/Denali tour. Our voucher says Hilton but our excursion/itinerary paper says Sheraton. Called Hilton yesterday and our name is listed there. Also when I called Premier Alaska, this person wasn't at the computer so asked me to email her at ncl@touralaska.net. Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

WE (a group of 13) are on the Authentic Alaska tour following our cruise on July 7th and our hotels had also changed. I just called Premier Alaska tours and they went through everything with me and confirmed the hotels and that we were all together. You may want to try calling them again for confirmation of hotels, etc. They were very helpful.

jodymc

When you return from your cruisetour please post a review. I have been trying to find reviews of NCL Alaska cruisetours for some time now & have found very few. We are planning on the Authentic Alaska tour for next June & have hesitated on booking until we see some reviews. Thanks

Biojeep - I will def. post a review when I get back. There are not alot because I believe this is the first year that NCL started doing the one way cruises with the land tours. I cannot wait for this trip, we actually booked it over a year ago and cant believe it is finally almost here.

I don't think this is NCL's first year doing the cruisetours in Alaska -- because there was a brochure from 2013. It may be the second year; whatever the # of years, it isn't that many.

So far, I think they have a lot to do to better integrate with the tour companies. We haven't been able to find anyone who can answer a question that is not in the 2014 brochure or on line, and they need 5 days to investigate any issue. However, my dad (who booked the tour) tracked down someone in sales at the tour company, and she has been very very helpful in confirming things for us. So that is good...

Still, we are looking forward to it. We are on the Denali Express starting in Anchorage 6/27 then on the Sun 6/30. I will post a review (or at least a thumbs up or thumbs down and what to look for) when I return in July.

I took the NCL Denali (Sawyer) explorer 4 day precruise tour before sailing on the

NCL SUN in July last year.

Arrived Anchorage airport met with NCL agent took chartered bus to hotel (Sheraton - I guess that they use others ?)

Evening meals on your own dime.

Overnight at Sheraton - complimentary breakfast at hotel then Alaska RR trip to Denali Park.

Lunch on the Alaska RR on your own dime.

2 night accommodations at the McKinley resort a few miles out of the park.

All meals at Denali on your own dime.

Next day 62 mile back country tour to see the back side of Mt. Denali - saw

lots of critters varmits bear moose etc. Weather was typically lousy and did

not see the mountain. Rainy foggy and all that pleasant stuff that you pay top

dollar to see and be inconvenienced.

Meals at the McKinley lodge were OK and fair value. Other than breakfast

one could take one of the free shuttle buses to the Denali village for a variety

of fare and liquid refreshment. Gift shops galore.

Next day NCL chartered bus to the Alyeska resort for an overnight stay.

Along the way HURRAY !!!! saw the mountain in all its majesty !!! Photo opts

a plenty. About a third of the park visitors actually see the mountain.

Bus stop at flea market in downtown Anchorage and then on to the First Class

hotel at Alyeska. Par Excellance - Superb accomodations - Spoiled rotten !

Next day breakfast on your own dime.

Free tram ride and complimentary lunch at the top of the mountain part of tour package.

Afternoon departure to the port of Whittier and the ship. Enroute stopped at

a Wild Life Conservation park seeing just about everything that Alaska has to

offer in wild life - Moose - Elk - Reindeer - Musk Ox - Lynx - Owls - Eagles -

Black Bear - Grizzly Bear - Brown Bear.

Interesting wait at the reversible one way Railroad tunnel.

The tunnel was built by the Railroad and the shipping industry to shorten the

path from the Pacific Ocean to Anchorage. Cars and other vehicles were loaded

on flat bed cars to be transported thru the tunnel. Later the tunnel was paved

over so cars; buses and trucks could use the tunnel when the trains did not use it.

Travel is permitted one way for about a half hour and then reversed. You don't

want to be timing your cruise connection and hit this at the wrong time !

After the tunnel check in on the ship and away we go.

Everything worked fine with one minor exception - I was with a party of 6 and

they continually were having me separated from my party. The tour guides fixed

that but NCL and the Premiere Tour folks need to recheck what the heck they are

doing with their group manifests !

In review a very good value (bang for the buck) !

One further closing comment I like the way I did the tour PRE-CRUISE because

you are living out of your suitcase til you get on the ship then relaxation and

feet up no more hassles doing the luggage drill everywhere you go.

So consider if doing this tour in reverse the baggage/luggage living will be at the

end and maybe not to your liking - price is the same either way !

More Questions or details just ask !

I took the NCL Denali (Sawyer) explorer 4 day precruise tour before sailing on the

NCL SUN in July last year.

Arrived Anchorage airport met with NCL agent took chartered bus to hotel (Sheraton - I guess that they use others ?)

Overnight at Sheraton - complimentary breakfast at hotel then Alaska RR trip to Denali Park.

Lunch on the Alaska RR on your own dime.

2 night accommodations at the McKinley resort a few miles out of the park.

All meals at Denali on your own dime.

Next day 62 mile back country tour to see the back side of Mt. Denali - saw

lots of critters varmits bear moose etc. Weather was typically lousy and did

not see the mountain. Rainy foggy and all that pleasant stuff that you pay top

dollar to see and be inconvenienced.

Meals at the McKinley lodge were OK and fair value. Other than breakfast

one could take one of the free shuttle buses to the Denali village for a variety

of fare and liquid refreshment. Gift shops galore.

Next day NCL chartered bus to the Alyeska resort for an overnight stay.

Along the way HURRAY !!!! saw the mountain in all its majesty !!! Photo opts

a plenty. About a third of the park visitors actually see the mountain.

Bus stop at flea market in downtown Anchorage and then on to the First Class

hotel at Alyeska. Par Excellance - Superb accomodations - Spoiled rotten !

Next day breakfast on your own dime.

Free tram ride and complimentary lunch at the top of the mountain part of tour package.

Afternoon departure to the port of Whittier and the ship. Enroute stopped at

a Wild Life Conservation park seeing just about everything that Alaska has to

offer in wild life - Moose - Elk - Reindeer - Musk Ox - Lynx - Owls - Eagles -

Black Bear - Grizzly Bear - Brown Bear.

Interesting wait at the reversible one way Railroad tunnel.

The tunnel was built by the Railroad and the shipping industry to shorten the

path from the Pacific Ocean to Anchorage. Cars and other vehicles were loaded

on flat bed cars to be transported thru the tunnel. Later the tunnel was paved

over so cars; buses and trucks could use the tunnel when the trains did not use it.

Travel is permitted one way for about a half hour and then reversed. You don't

want to be timing your cruise connection and hit this at the wrong time !

After the tunnel check in on the ship and away we go.

Everything worked fine with one minor exception - I was with a party of 6 and

they continually were having me separated from my party. The tour guides fixed

that but NCL and the Premiere Tour folks need to recheck what the heck they are

doing with their group manifests !

In review a very good value (bang for the buck) !

One further closing comment I like the way I did the tour PRE-CRUISE because

you are living out of your suitcase til you get on the ship then relaxation and

feet up no more hassles doing the luggage drill everywhere you go.

So consider if doing this tour in reverse the baggage/luggage living will be at the

end and maybe not to your liking - price is the same either way !

More Questions or details just ask !

Thanks for posting. Have a wonderful Fathers day.

I don't think this is NCL's first year doing the cruisetours in Alaska -- because there was a brochure from 2013. It may be the second year; whatever the # of years, it isn't that many.

So far, I think they have a lot to do to better integrate with the tour companies. We haven't been able to find anyone who can answer a question that is not in the 2014 brochure or on line, and they need 5 days to investigate any issue. However, my dad (who booked the tour) tracked down someone in sales at the tour company, and she has been very very helpful in confirming things for us. So that is good...

Still, we are looking forward to it. We are on the Denali Express starting in Anchorage 6/27 then on the Sun 6/30. I will post a review (or at least a thumbs up or thumbs down and what to look for) when I return in July.

Hi,

You are correct that this is the 2nd year for the NCL Alaska cruisetours. My DW & I did the post cruise Denali - Fairbanks tour last May. I understand your frustrations with NCL. I could understand during the first year the confusion but I thought things would improve. As you have learned the cruisetours are outsourced to First Premier and they do a good job on the tour itself but the communication between NCL and First Premier seems only done on "cutoff" dates. That is, 30 -45 days prior to the tour, NCL provides a the final list of passengers to the tour co who is responsible for the hotels, train, and buses. It was our experience that there were people who were on the cruise portion with us but stayed in different hotels in Denali because they were on a different cruisetour.

The cruisetour itself was good although most meals are on your own. The buses are owed by First Premier and were very clean and the baggage handling was done well. We even had are own train car from Denali to Fairbanks which allowed us plenty of room on the train.

Looking back on our experience, we often now laugh about the fact while we on cruise, no one on the ship even seemed to know what the logistics of the land portion would be such as how the luggage be transported to the tour. The Cruise Reward Manger turned out to be the most helpful while the cruise excursion desk was of no help. On about day five of the cruise we rec'd a letter in our cabin detailing what we were to do.

I sure you will enjoy the land portion of your trip.

Sorry my mistake, I guess they did start the one way cruises last year, I knew it hadn't been long though. I have found the tour company very helpful whenever I called. Awhile back I called to get a basic itinerary because NCL had told me it wouldn't be out for awhile. The next day I had an email from NCL with general itinerary so I am assuming that tour company forwarded my message with an itinerary to NCL. Then I called tour company yesterday to confirm hotels and if our group was kept together and they confirmed everything. I did ask about booking side trips because white water rafting in Alaska is def on my bucket list :) and i was told to just go through your tour director to book.

jodymc

What hotels do you have for the land tour?

I,like you, would like to know what additional excursions/activities are available. I do not want to be just stuck riding on a bus/train & have little free time. I think NCL should publish the list of extra available activities so people could plan & budget accordingly prior to booking. I have expressed this to my NCL ppc on several occasions & never gotten any feedback. I think the authentic Alaska itinerary is one of the best cruise tours but I do not feel that NCL does a good enough job of providing extra details that might help in the decision making process for such an expensive vacation.

I am looking forward to reading your review when you return. You are the only person I have come across that is doing the Authentic Alaska tour which is the one I am the most interested in.

I can help here a bit - - -

The overall land tour is not to be confused with the Shore Excursions offered when the ship is visiting a port.

Check the NCL website for the shore excursions offered something on the order of 150 plus for either the North or South bound voyages.

THE SAWYER DENALI GLACIER TOUR -4- DAYS

With the land based tours there are NO extra organized activities planned except

for what you want to do with your family/group on your own.

The tour guides and hotel staff may offer hints ideas suggestions !

On arrival in Anchorage the hotel I (we) used was the Sheraton nice convenient

location about 3 blocks off the main loop of downtown ANC.

Arrived at the Sheraton about 3 ish and the rest of the afternoon/evening

was on your own - meals and entertainment on your own dime.

Morning complimentary breakfast at hotel and off to the Alaska RR station

for an 8:15 departure to Denali. Meals on train on your own dime.

The train toots along at about 35 mph and takes 6-7 hours to get to Denali.

Numerous PHOTO-OPTS - keep your camera ready !

At Denali my group stayed at the McKinley Village about 6 or 7 miles outside

the park.

Bus to McKinley Village - rest of the day on your own. Meals entertainment on your own dime.

We were there -2- nights - we were in a newer section of several buildings so everything

was in new clean working order and nicely attended.

(BEWARE walking outside towards dusk the mosquitos; little almost no see-ums want to feast and eat you up) !

Morning breakfast (your dime) Denali back country school bus leaves about

8 or so.

Box lunch provided on bus.

Back country tour goes 62 miles one way into the Denali wilderness with the

thought of perhaps you will see the mountain. 1 in 3 chance !

This tour takes about 6 hours with stops and photo opts creature comforts gift shops etc.

Utterly FANTASTIC in any weather - make the most of it unless you plan to come back again !

Evening back at the village - entertainment and meals on your dime.

Next morning breakfast (your dime) and NCL Chartered Motor Coach leaves for

the final overnight stop at Alyeska.

The 4th night we stayed at the Alyeska Resort about half way between ANC

and the port of Whittier.

A real booming place in winter with ski activity - summer time tours to see the glaciers !

This place just reeks of opulence 5 STARS to the "Nth Degree" - when guests come calling at your hotel room

they ring a door bell !

The lounges and restaurant are par excellence - the grounds are a delight to walk around in !

AND BEWARE the little rascals (mosquitos) are here too !

Last day breakfast on your dime later take the ski lift shuttle to the top of

the mountain to view the scenery and have a complimentary lunch.

Back down the lift and check out of hotel and take NCL Chartered Motor Coach to

the Wild Life Conservation park to see a lot of animals indigenous to Alaska

then the FUN begins thru the tunnel to the port of Whittier and the CRUISE !

NOW if you take the 5 day/night tour which ends or begins in Fairbanks (FAI)

I would have to refer you to NCL; Premier Tours or a website brochure.

There are more than a couple tours offered.

Bio jeep......

Our hotels are as follows

Homer - Best Western Bidarka

Anchorage - Millenium Hotel

Denali - McKinley Village Lodge

Fairbanks - Rivers Edge

In my pkg it lists the itinerary with times and optional tours in Denali and Fairbanks.

Denali tours inc Helicopter-Mt McKinley by air (approx cost $350 pp) and whitewater rafting or scenic float adventure (approx cost $89 pp)

Fairbanks - Arctic Circle air adventure (approx cost $460), Alaska Salmon bake (approx cost $33) and can add Golden Heart review with the salmon bake (approx cost $20).

There is time on your own where you can prob. Book things on your own too.

• 1 month later...

We returned last week from our trip to Alaska which inc a cruise on NCL Sun followed by the Authentic Alaskan land tour. The entire trip was fabulous. I will write a full review soon but I have been sick since I got home so as soon as I feel better. I just wanted to get a note out that if you are considering an ncl cruise and land tour don't hesitate....I would do it again in a second. :)

We returned last week from our trip to Alaska which inc a cruise on NCL Sun followed by the Authentic Alaskan land tour. The entire trip was fabulous. I will write a full review soon but I have been sick since I got home so as soon as I feel better. I just wanted to get a note out that if you are considering an ncl cruise and land tour don't hesitate....I would do it again in a second. :)

Looking forward to your review. :)

We're on that same cruisetour on 8/18! So sorry that you're sick, but hope that you'll feel better soon, as I would love to hear all about it. Getting very excited now that we're just 2 1/2 weeks away.

Matt

We too are taking the NCL Cruise Tour on the Sun, August 18th . . . excitement is building! Excursions are booked, and we are ready to roll:) At this point in time, I am trying to decide what clothes to pack for my husband/myself . . . I have a tendency to over pack, but I do not want to do this for the upcoming trip.

I know weather is questionable and ever changing, so everyone says to dress in layers. Also when onboard the ship, while days at sea, I understand it is casual/resort dress. For dinners, I am a little confused about dress . . . any suggestions on packing for this cruise and what to include and what not to worry with taking for those "just in case" moments;) Layering with rain gear in mind, jeans and tennis shoes, etc. can get heavy for the ole suitcase:/

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

We too are taking the NCL Cruise Tour on the Sun, August 18th . . . excitement is building! Excursions are booked, and we are ready to roll:) At this point in time, I am trying to decide what clothes to pack for my husband/myself . . . I have a tendency to over pack, but I do not want to do this for the upcoming trip.

I know weather is questionable and ever changing, so everyone says to dress in layers. Also when onboard the ship, while days at sea, I understand it is casual/resort dress. For dinners, I am a little confused about dress . . . any suggestions on packing for this cruise and what to include and what not to worry with taking for those "just in case" moments;) Layering with rain gear in mind, jeans and tennis shoes, etc. can get heavy for the ole suitcase:/

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

For the month of August think about what you would wear in your home state;

Georgia, during say the month of December - should be somewhere close.

Layering is the rule and have one outer garment moisture proof (rain jacket)

When on the ship a change of clothes is at hand - when out on an excursion

you should be just fine with what you would wear off the ship - with one big

exception a helicopter glacier walk or something in close proximity to a glacier.

You can expect that to be quite cool - check the weather reports for rain and

low overcast skies for an idea on what to wear. You don't need 20 steamer trunks

of fashionable baggage to survive - most all the ground tours you can leave

a layer or two of clothing in the tour bus and would be inconvenienced only

for a few minutes to retrieve. On the ship shelter is immediately available

for your ground tour the tour bus is your shelter point and if taking the Alaska

RR you don't get off the train so no need for excessive clothing here.

Now as for the ship and formal clothing - the Alaskan version of the tuxedo

(aka Smart Casual) is a long sleeve* plaid shirt and (new) clean jeans.

You can wear pretty much whatever you want to haul with you but the airlines

will make you pay !

* Long Sleeve shirt recommend for the ground tours - mosquito protection

For the evening outdoor deck activities on the ship nothing much else is needed.

Don't read between the lines "Jay Naked will not work"! No shirt - No shoes -

No PANTS - come on I got to keep this PG rated !

Alaska is one of the few cruise spots that skip the formal dress code unless

you want a memorable photo with the ships Captain/crew - even at that the

weather is the factor to dress for. One of the two MDR is a tad bit more formal

than the other - so skip the shorts - bermudas here even if it is summer it

really is something else in Alaska.

The Specialty restaurants are more or less in the same vein as the tad bit formal MDR

- slacks and polo collar shirt does fine.

After all this is the NCL "FREESTYLE" cruising and not the snobbish Princess

or Holland-America with upscale elegance !

Other readers may chime in and give you their message regards the FREESTYLE

dress code - Pretty simple !

As noted don't overpack the airlines will kill you with fees.

While NCL does not have self-service laundry - laundry service is available

usually at one point in the voyage for a bargain (well not so much a bargain

but more of a convenience).

If concerned about enough clean clothes check out the posts on Laundry.

You should be able to pack layerable clothing for 7 days of cruise and 3-5

days of ground tour without a great deal of hassle - mix and match !

Noted that the OP posting was sailing 6/27 that cruise is now long over.

Hope GA Peach 16 cruising 8/18 finds all these subsequent posts useful !

Comments raves kudos and Onions from OP ?!?