This cruise is nickel and diming me to DEATH!

Okay I read all five pages now.

To the OP: We are a family of 6. Kids are 14,14,12,11. We have taken all four on two cruises and two of them on a third cruise.

My advice to you.... not sure if you want it, but here goes :)

Do not buy soda stickers for all of them unless they drink soda all the time at home. My kids don't get soda daily. Maybe once a month. We bought them the stickers on the first cruise and they didn't really use them. The second cruise we said they were allowed one glass of it a day if they weren't with us. We did let them get a soda every now and then, but it was a heck of a lot cheaper than buying the stickers.

Your main expense will most likely be tips. No way around that one, just try to set the money aside ahead of time.

To get to the port....shop around. Sometimes car rental is the cheapest way for us. Once a limo was the cheapest way to get to the port. A taxi would be tough unless you pack light. It's hard to get luggage for 5 people in one taxi.

Think about restricting your kids seapass accounts so they cannot charge on them if you think it may be a problem. We have never had to do that, but you know your kids better than anyone. It may save a lot of hassle in the long run.

If you have two rooms, stop by the pursers desk the first day and get a card to acess the kids room. We usually get an extra for our room too, so the kids have one.

Check your seapass daily. It's easier to fix problems as soon as they happen, if they do. It's also easier to remember what you spent day to day instead of waiting until the end of the week.

About Johnny Rockets. I am in the minority here. We have sailed ships before the surcharge was in place. The wait was two hours sometimes. I would rather pay $3.95 than wait that long. The only time there wasn't a wait was after 10:00pm and when the ship was in port. I look forward to JR's surcharge and all :) See if Adventure Ocean takes the kids there for dinner, and if the fee still applies. If it doesn't just let the kids go with them and tell them that's it. Your kids will probably enjoy room service more than JR's anyways, and that's free except for the tip.

The kids menu in the dining room is pretty good if they like burgers and fries. I had the waiter bring both the kids and the adults menus for them. Then they could order off both.

If they plan on attending Adventure Ocean and you want them to eat in the dining room with you at night, make sure you have early seating. Second seating usually conflicts with the AO activities.

Most of all enjoy your cruise :) I promise once you are on the ship it won't feel like everything is extra. Our cruises have been very relaxing and affordable. Enjoy cruise critic and ignore the negativity. It is the best place to find information. Most people discover these boards after their first cruise. You are lucky to have found them before yours. Even if it means to vent about extra charges. :)

Happy cruising!

Bobbie

I would rather PAY and be able to get into Johnny Rockets (nominal fee) to eat than to have no fee and be waiting and waiting for a table. When it was no pay the wait time was much longer. It is a small restaurant...not large like Windjammer so it can't handle large crowds.

I just found out on another thread that yet another "thing" is NOT included in the cruise. I know - I know this topic has been beat to death and I'm right there with you and the rolling eyes but before I get anymore unpleasant surpises what besides the following are NOT included?

-johnny rockets

-ben & jerrys

-specialty coffee

-soda

-golf simulator (just found this one out)

-certain classes in the gym

Yes, I know all about alcohol, spas, tips etc. I'm talking about things that really should be (or what we might assume would be) included in the full price...but aren't. :rolleyes:

I know everyone complains about what is NOT included in a cruise, but really, why would you expect everything to be included. I take a cruise for every other vacation, and the other vacation wee usually go to Hawaii, or somewhere else for 10 or 12 days. Anyway, when on a non-cruise vacation, NOTHING in included. I pay a few thousand for a hotel in Hawaii, and more for airfare, and my food is never included. Unless you stay at an all inclusive resort, you get nothing except maybe the daily breakfast. No one even claimed that cruising was all inclusive. So why complain about what is not included when SO MUCH is. Just my humble opinion.

OP - There are two other pay items which are clearly advertised as having a few, however, my kids found their Sea Pass cards oh so easy to use.

Arcade machines in the kids area take sea pass cards and it can really add up! I told my kids they could spend $20 each on arcade for the week thinking that would be reasonable...they both blew through their $20 in a matter of minutes...it was not a good value ;) . From now and we just say "no" to arcades, there are plenty of other things to do on a cruise.

Another item is the internet fees....my teenager logged on a few times using his

Sea Pass card and his fees were under $10 but I have heard horror stories of teens spending their cruise "online" with friends from home racking up hundreds of dollars!

Another item is the internet fees....my teenager logged on a few times using his

Sea Pass card and his fees were under $10 but I have heard horror stories of teens spending their cruise "online" with friends from home racking up hundreds of dollars!

I know someone who took their 3 kids on their first cruise last year. Even though they had talked to the kids about the cards, the kids racked up $250 USD on internet. The parents didn't know about checking the cards (they were NCL), and they got a huge bill at the end of the cruise. Needless to say the kids worked off those costs all year helping around the home. Those cards are waaaaay too easy for kids to use.

I agree that it does seem as though they are nickel and diming guests to death. It seems the more things cruiselines add, the more fees they tack on. Soon you will have to budget another $500 for all the extras when you book a cruise. People on a tight budget like me will have to shop around for bargains to afford to cruise in the future.

I see cruising as a great value today compared to what I paid twenty years ago. My first cruise was approx. $1500.00 a person for a cabin the size of a broom closet. The items that cost extra are optional. You do not have to pay for them. I for one am glad that they have the surcharge for JR's. Keeps the kids away and no lines.

To the Original Poster:

I'm just curious. This will be your very first cruise? How much research did you do before you booked your trip? I saw in your post the lovely picture of your children? That would be 3 people, plus you and another adult? So you booked a cruise trip for 5 people on your particular ship and did not realize before you paid that certain things would incur additional charges?

I'm truely interested how this came to be. From time to time I have been known to jump into certain things without looking ahead and have suffered for it. However, my vacation planning involves TONS, sometimes years, of research.

I won't even go into the volumes of material I gathered for my trip to Italy. :) (Needed a whole suitcase just for the research.)

Anyway, Did you use a travel agent? Did you book online? How did it come to be that you did not know about the additional charges for the various extras?

I live in a cave :rolleyes:

Sorry, just don't get it - I wonder if some of these same attitudes are the same after hotel stays where you can pay a couple hundred dollars just for the room - then pay for food (if I paid for as much food as I eat on a cruise, OUCH!!), tips (the bellman, waiters, etc.), ice cream, coffee, cookies, entertainment, etc.

I've gone on cruises (3 - 5 nites) when my budget was exceptionally tight, and except for tips, my bill came to $48, I had more entertainment, food and enjoyment than I could have had staying at a hotel. Stayed at the Foutainbleu one nite for DH's 60th birthday, had an oceanview room, dinner, breakfast and lunch, and spent over $600.

Michele

Isn't this a bit like Disney World or other theme parks where the attractions are included but you know you will pay dearly for the food, mouse ears and Pumba. Yet you still have the choice to eat at the expensive restaurants or the cheaper ones, stay at the park hotels for a premium or stay off the park premises for less but pay for parking, the list goes on. But the main ticket price gets you into most of the attractions if not the food, drinks and toys. The price is high, but you want the product they sell. I remember when Disneyland used tickets for each ride and there were only so many "E" tickets for the good rides. You had to pay extra to get more E tickets........:cool:

We choose the cruise for the cruise and what it offers. By reading the boards or even the cruise books or mags out there you get a good idea of what is included and what is extra. People choose the cruise package for the sea days, the ports, the activities on ship, etc. I think it's nice there are "extras" to choose from, some of which I care about, others I wouldn't pay a cent for. It's an option, just like the Disney goodies.:)

In reference to Johnny Rockets, you pay for sodas, shakes, etc., but you only pay for the first one. DH had 3 or 4 chocolate cokes for the cost of one. They were not treating him special. They do this for everyone.

I think $3.95 is a small price to pay if you want the JR experience. Once you are a C&A member, you get a coupon for a free visit. We went one time. It was lots of fun, and we were glad we did it. Would I do it everyday? Nope! Who wants to eat that stuff everyday when there are so many other options?

In reference to Johnny Rockets, you pay for sodas, shakes, etc., but you only pay for the first one. DH had 3 or 4 chocolate cokes for the cost of one. They were not treating him special. They do this for everyone.

I think $3.95 is a small price to pay if you want the JR experience. Once you are a C&A member, you get a coupon for a free visit. We went one time. It was lots of fun, and we were glad we did it. Would I do it everyday? Nope! Who wants to eat that stuff everyday when there are so many other options?

From what I understand, it is no longer free. There is a surcharge to eat at Johnny Rockets now, and not just for shakes. For everything. Take it from someone who has Johnny Rockets all over Los Angeles...Not worth it. I would never pay to eat there here at home, and i am not about to pay for it on Vacation. Now if they had In & Out Burger, that would be a different story. (You won't know in & out burger unless you live in California, and I think Las Vegas has a few now).

The JR Experience? What would that be? Bad burger and a pina colada my friend? It's not an "experience" it's hockey puck on a bun. The reason RCCL charges for it is they can; it's alternative dining isn't it? When are they gonna put a hard rock cafe on the ships? I can't wait!

How do we get this "coupon" on the internet? Can you tell me how to find it and do I just print it off?

It amazes me that people are still complaining about the charge at JRs. If they are repeat RCL customers and are signed up for C&A, they will receive coupons for a free visit to JRs. The same for the internet....there's a coupon! Also a coupon (for % off) the specialty coffees at Latte-tudes. My DH loves his frappacinos, and when we mentioned this one night at dinner everyone else at our table gave him their coupons because they weren't going to use them. I'd rather pay for these "extras" than have it rolled into the price of my cruise because for the most part, we don't use any of this stuff. We haven't even sailed on a ship with a JRs (we've only been on Radiance class) but we still get the coupons.

I decline to get into the debate of whether or not "extra" charges should be added or misleading advertising.

I'm just going to say this is a good thread, even if 4merlurker has some regrets starting it. I think it is important for first timers to realize there are extras that can be added to your cruise. Especially if you have children, you will be able to discuss this ahead of time, instead of bickering with them once onboard your cruise. I have 2 kids and I know what they can put you through to try to get their way. I absolutely hate bickering with my kids in public, it's embarrassing and I absolutely hate having to listen to strangers go through it with their kids. It's much better for them to know their limitations ahead of time.

I might add, just wait until you get onboard and start hearing all the announcements about what is going on that day. We have learned that you just have to tune them out, with the exception of the captains announcements. This was the best part about our Celebrity cruise, they didn't have all the annoying announcements.

I cant believe this thread was dragged up from the deep! :rolleyes:

Let it go people!

Didn't mean to offend the original poster by posting and I didn't realize this was an old thread...just thought it was worth mentioning the extras (arcade and internet) since I had not seen those listed. I agree with another poster, the more you are aware of the extras before you go the better your experience will be so I think this is a good thread also...

I decline to get into the debate of whether or not "extra" charges should be added or misleading advertising.

I'm just going to say this is a good thread, even if 4merlurker has some regrets starting it. I think it is important for first timers to realize there are extras that can be added to your cruise. Especially if you have children, you will be able to discuss this ahead of time, instead of bickering with them once onboard your cruise. I have 2 kids and I know what they can put you through to try to get their way. I absolutely hate bickering with my kids in public, it's embarrassing and I absolutely hate having to listen to strangers go through it with their kids. It's much better for them to know their limitations ahead of time.

I might add, just wait until you get onboard and start hearing all the announcements about what is going on that day. We have learned that you just have to tune them out, with the exception of the captains announcements. This was the best part about our Celebrity cruise, they didn't have all the annoying announcements.

Kathy, this is a FANTASTIC and SPOT ON summary of the issue. Many thanks for putting it all "in a nutshell" for everyone who seeks out this thread.

Carol

If I want to go to JR's I can do so at home--don't know what the big attraction is. When im on vaction I like to do thing s I don't normally do at home.

Many of us do not have a JR's near us. That said I would never go on a cruise to eat anyones hamburgers (but if someone else want's to, more power to 'em)! For me, bring on the Filet, lobster, prime rib etc etc etc.

jmo

-Monte

From what I understand, it is no longer free. There is a surcharge to eat at Johnny Rockets now, and not just for shakes. For everything. Take it from someone who has Johnny Rockets all over Los Angeles...Not worth it. I would never pay to eat there here at home, and i am not about to pay for it on Vacation. Now if they had In & Out Burger, that would be a different story. (You won't know in & out burger unless you live in California, and I think Las Vegas has a few now).

We like JRs much, much, better than In N Out (too greasy for us), we have 10 locations in Arizona.

###

I do recall that the internet benefit is based on C&A level.

The JR coupon is a one-time, one-person use coupon that waives only the $3.95 service fee (you still have to pay for shakes, sodas, etc.).

Hope this clarifies it a bit.

beachchick

Archived