Compare Skagway Yukon Pass Train vs. Bus

Susie51

We have just returned from our northbound Radiance OTS and took a bus tour to the white pass summit, into Carcross, and to emerald lake. We booked outside of the cruise line, with Frontier excursions, who were excellent and our guide Mike was also great and knowledgable. Our tour was amazing, we saw three bears along the side of the road and we stopped for pictures of all three of them and the scenery was outstanding. I have never done the train, but I'm assuming you wouldn't be able to stop at the sight of wildlife.

We're going to be on the Radiance northbound at the end of June and booked the same tour with Frontier Excursions. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed the tour, hopefully we'll get Mike as our tour guide also.

I'm wondering when you got back from the tour? Did you have any time left to wander around Skagway, or was it cutting it too close to having to be back on the ship. We're supposed to be leaving port at 4:30, but I'd like a little time to see the town.

Thanks

We're going to be on the Radiance northbound at the end of June and booked the same tour with Frontier Excursions. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed the tour, hopefully we'll get Mike as our tour guide also.

I'm wondering when you got back from the tour? Did you have any time left to wander around Skagway, or was it cutting it too close to having to be back on the ship. We're supposed to be leaving port at 4:30, but I'd like a little time to see the town.

Thanks

It really was a great tour with great scenery!! We got back to Skagway around 2:30. Our all aboard time was at 4 and we departed at 4:30, so we walked around for about an hour. A little more time may have been nice, but the tour was definitely worth it.

I prefer the bus. To start with, it costs less, and you will see far more of the rail bed, and the construction of the track than you can see for the train itself.

john

Thank you for your input.

Hi,

Question for those who have done the bus/train combo that included seeing the dogs. I have read that if you want to do the sledding as well it will cost extra. Can anyone tell me how much extra it costs? We are considering doing it through HAL.

First, it is not a sled ride, but a cart with wheels on dirt.

If you buy the ride directly from Caribou Crossing, their web site shows the following prices:

15 Minute Rides: Adults - $43.50, Children - $41.50

30 Minute Rides: Adults - $68.50. Children - $61.50

HAL might charge you differently if you are booking the tour through them. You also might get a better price (and better overall experience) if you book through an independent vendor, such as Chilkoot Charters.