Carnival makes me sooo MAD!

kmcdonald

I would be very upset with the shop giving the estimates. Maybe they thought they could sell some replacement luggage.

Remember, any litigation has to be filed in Florida according to the ticket contract.

Do I understand this correctly? The port damaged your luggage, the port will not even talk with you, Carnival did not damage your luggage, Carnival paid you $100 for the luggage they did not damage, and you are mad at Carnival??!!??

Am I missing something?

I am very sorry to hear about your bad experience. I hope you are able to resolve this with Carnival. It is ridiculous that they won't take care of it.:mad:

Did any of your personal belongings get lost or damaged as well?

May I ask what type/brand of luggage this was? Other cruisers may be interested in learning what types of luggage may not hold up to Carnival's baggage handling procedures! I sure would be interested. We just purchased a couple of bags. I hope they make it ok:rolleyes:

I had American Tourister ($80.00 new) for the suitcase and Eddie Bauer for the garmet bag and duffle bag. The garmet bag (150.00 new) was torn and stained with a ugly rusty liquid, same as the duffle bag ($40.00 new). The suitcase was totally collasped, we could bend it back, but the frame was cracked.

Do I understand this correctly? The port damaged your luggage, the port will not even talk with you, Carnival did not damage your luggage, Carnival paid you $100 for the luggage they did not damage, and you are mad at Carnival??!!??

Am I missing something?

You are missing nothing! I'm saying someone is responsible. Carnival admitted to me on the phone that we can't file against the port, they take full (up to $100.00 max.) responsiblty for any damage! The port workers are contracted through Carnival, therefore they are responsible for anything they do.

Don't ask me why Carnival puts up with that kind of service from the dock workers, but only Carnival can change that, not the customer!

On the other side of the coin, we always use cheap luggage to travel. Carnival destroyed one of hubby's suitcases (only happened once and we have cruised A LOT). We got an estimate for replacement and Carnival gave us $100 anyway despite the fact that we told them the bag wasn't worth that much.

I had 3 separate pieces of luggaged damaged in Port Canaveral getting off the Glory. They told us, "No Problem" just fill out these forms, take the luggage home to your repair shop, mail us the info and we will reimburse.

We had to pay $20.00 for the estimate/repair for each luggage (for them to write the luggage was beyond repair and needed replaced) = $60.00 total.

Carnival sends me a letter saying "It is their policy to only pay for $100.00 maximum, regardless of how much the damage was! We had over $300.00 in damaged luggage and paid a $60.00 fee to have them evaluated!

If I were to destroy something in my cabin, could I get away with the statement, "It is my policy to only cover $100.00 worth of damage I do to your ship" Sorry! That sound ludicrious!!! But they can destroy my property and get away with that (they said it is in my passenger contract).

Horrible customer service!

Ya know my wife has some very expensive designer luggage and hates it when I try and get her inexpesnive luggage. These posts underscore the reson not to spend $500 or mroe on a bag. The airlines have similair policies.

Michael

Try your homeowners insurance.

We had a damaged piece of luggage in March on the Glory also but we had purchased cruise insurance.

Insurance company requested:

1. Copy of our receipt- didn't have, told them the cost of luggage was 220.00 but could now purchase same luggage for 160.00 online.

2. Copy of repair bill- couldn't be repaired, didn't have statement from repair shop, I just typed up that information along with my claim form.

3. Copy of our declarations page on our homeowners policy- our deductable is higher than the cost of the one piece of luggage.

We received a check for the original cost 220.00 even though I was just expecting to receive a maximum of $160.00-the cost of a new replacement.

I had luggage damaged on both cruises. The first with Carnival and the second with RCCL. I did not have insurance with carnival so I did not bother about the claim. I had bought Royal's insurance the second trip and I completed the paper work at the port and they gave me the info for the insurance. When I got home and called the insurance they stated that I had to get an estimate and file a claim. If it was over $50 then I would need the receipt for the luggage and they would either pay for the repair or reimburse for the luggage. Well, needless to say I did not have the receipt since it was a Christmas gift from my parents (for the cruise) and they did not keep the receipt after they knew that I liked the luggage. The insurance said without receipt they would not do anything. I just decided to forget it and I am taking cheap suitcases on my next cruise in January.

I'm surprised you need a receipt for the luggage to be covered under the insurance. Does anyone have any experience with that? I don't have the receipts for my luggage.

I always buy good luggage. I don't consider American Tourister very good luggage.

After traveling for a living for six years, I buy the most durable stuff made and my luggage manufacturer will replace my luggage if it is damaged, not the airlines.

The reason I started doing this is because AA mangled a peice of AT luggage that I thought was very good.

For the record, I buy all of my luggage at places like Tuesday Morning and TJMaxx.

I bought a 28 inch Tumi pullman from Tuesday Morning for $100.

Eddie Bauer should replace your duffel that was destroyed.

I guess what I'm trying to say is good luggage shouldn't be expensive.

Well, I know this has been posted on page one, but maybe it will help again... If you have such expensive luggage, you need to take care of the declaration and pay the fee BEFORE you cruise...

d) It is stipulated and agreed that the aggregate value of Guest’s property, does not exceed $50 per guest or bag with a maximum value of $100 per stateroom regardless of the number of occupants or bags and any liability of Carnival for any cause whatsoever with respect to said property shall not exceed such sum, unless the Guest shall in writing, delivered to Carnival, prior to embarkation, declare the true value thereof and pay to Carnival prior to embarkation a sum equal to 5% of the excess of such value. If Carnival shall be held liable for the loss of or damage to Guest’s baggage or property it is agreed that such liability shall not exceed the lesser of: (1) the actual cash value, or (2) value declared in the manner above provided (up to U.S. $100 if no such declaration has been made). Declared value amounts to be proportionately reduced in any case where less than all of Guest’s baggage or property is lost, delayed or rendered unusable due to damage. In no event shall Carnival be liable to pay any compensation if the nature or value of the property has been misrepresented.

I know having your bags damaged really stinks and you are rightfully angry at someone. Thankfully they didn't lose it. Imagine trying to replace the bag and contents for only $100.:eek: Airlines have really low reimbursement rates for lost luggage as well. Sorry you got dumped on for complaining. It is almost a guarantee that if you criticize Carnival (rightly or wrongly) the 1000 posters will say it really was your fault (or you should have known) yada yada yada

On the other side of the coin, we always use cheap luggage to travel.

The above is one way to go..we on the other hand have briggs and reilly luggage. It is not cheap but not the most expensive. They repair any damage free of charge..take it to local luggage store and it is back in a week...no $$$.

We travel a lot ..not just cruising. We have been very happy with this luggage.:)

I always buy good luggage. I don't consider American Tourister very good luggage.

After traveling for a living for six years, I buy the most durable stuff made and my luggage manufacturer will replace my luggage if it is damaged, not the airlines.

The reason I started doing this is because AA mangled a peice of AT luggage that I thought was very good.

For the record, I buy all of my luggage at places like Tuesday Morning and TJMaxx.

I bought a 28 inch Tumi pullman from Tuesday Morning for $100.

Eddie Bauer should replace your duffel that was destroyed.

I guess what I'm trying to say is good luggage shouldn't be expensive.

I actually tend to buy Rimowa for carryon's and road trip luggage. Good luggage that will stand up to most abuses and has a great warranty. On the flip side, my wife came into our marriage with bags that cost alot of money (They are brown with initials). In the 5 years we have been together, she had 1 piece damaged and a video surveilence tape showed another bag being stolen. Thats why I want her to buy cheap luggage if the bags our outside of our control for an extended period (airlines etc...) My checked luggage is always cheap replaceable bags. But if the company has a great warranty program, why not.

Michael

Michael

Just putting in my 2 cents here.... do you have any homeowners insurance? They might be able to cover the rest. If you had taken the insurance out on the cruise you would be dealing with the insurance company over your damaged luggage.

As much as it hurts to see what happened to your luggage, at least you have your luggage! It would have been much worst if your luggage was lost at the beginning of the cruise and you had to make due with whatever you had left!

As several posters pointed out, the port employees who handle the luggage do not work for Carnival at any of the ports so Carnival is not really responsible for the damage.

Take what money Carnival is offering. I no longer buy expensive luggage. As my travel agent always says, "Traveling with good or expensive luggage is just asking for it! I always use the most beat up, ugly luggage on a trip. This way if it is damaged, I'm still ahead of the game since I got to use it all this time!"

MARAPRINCE

It really is spelled out clearly where their liability ends. I am required to travel for my job, not one major hotel or airline has a better policy, they all limit their liability.

You can be mad your luggage was damaged, if you expected that to never happen you have your head in the sand - you should see the automated luggage machines at the big airports - damage happens a lot - that is why liability is always limited.

The fact that you paid $60 for an estimate, be mad at yourself. Many shops will charge for an estimate, many do not - it is your reponsibility and decision on that one.

While I have sympathy for you, your behavior that it is everyone else's problem is unacceptable - "oh wow is me, I am the victim..." people need to understand the risks they are taking, and be willing to live with them, if not stay home or get insurance.

But I am not mad at you, life is too short to be mad, it can take years of your longevity going through life like that.

That's why I have cheap but sturdy bags.

If cheap bags were sturdy, no one would ever buy expensive bags. There is a reason why they are cheap. Still, you might be better off financially even if they are lousy by treating them as semi-disposable. Only getting a few trips out of them is likely cheaper in the long run than having good luggage destroyed.

If cheap bags were sturdy, no one would ever buy expensive bags. There is a reason why they are cheap. Still, you might be better off financially even if they are lousy by treating them as semi-disposable. Only getting a few trips out of them is likely cheaper in the long run than having good luggage destroyed.

I think he meant buying name brand bags at discount stores. You would be surprised what high quality bags you can find for under $50. I bought a travel pro garment bag for $39. I think they retail around $185.

If you buy your luggage through AAA and buy a brand with a waranty (Samsonite etc) you can take it in there and they will send it to the luggage company to be repaired for free. Tears and stains excluded.

A couple cruises ago Carnival broke off one of the leggs of my luggage so it won't stand up now when you are not rolling it. It was not real expensive and we were going to replace it for next cruise but then we thought - why??? So now I bring the broken luggage on board each time and let them worry about it... :) LOL Didn't even bother to ask if they would replace it - didn't think they would... Should have asked... It was cheap anyway - I watch the way they throw the luggage around and I'm so glad every time mine actually shows up at the cabin! :) Debbie

I agree that Ross and TJ Maxx are the way to go to get reasonably good luggage at very reasonable prices, as are smartbargains.com and overstock.com if you prefer shopping onlinne. I've also used ebags.com. Check out their closeout section and be sure to use any discount coupon codes floating around the internet (often 15-20% off). I've used a huge Delsey "trolley wardrobe" bag on all of my cruises. It's basically a garment bag on steriods that is just under the airlines' limit for bag dimensions. It's finally getting a bit shabby (after 6 or 8 years of use including 7 cruises) and I just found a replacement for it on smartbargains.com.

Happy cruising,

Susan

What are the odds?

1 cruise, 3 bags destroyed.

Vs.

44 cruises, 0 bags destroyed

1 of those bags went thru 25-30 cruises and close to a million air miles before the wife threw it away on me.

Amazing the different experiences we can have doing the same thing.

Dan

I just bought new luggage last year (not expensive). So far it has held up well. It did come with a manufacturers warranty. Perhaps your luggage has a warranty too. You could try contacting the manufacturer.

No travel insurance, but I will have it my next cruise.

you have too always have travel insurance no matter what. you could have taken what carnival was offering you and filed a claim with the insureance for the rest, that would have solved your problem.

I actually booked on Royal for my next cruise.

carnival did not damage your bags, the dock workers did. this could happen on any cruise line. i hope it does not happen on rc when you cruise with them, now, if it does and you get the same response from them, will you travel with another cruise line? i'm not being mean, but you have too read and understand what all cruise lines policies are concerning this.

Archived