Car Rental- fort L. To POM

mclizzy

I would like to rent a car for my hubby and I to go from the FLL airport and take it to the POM to drop it off. I can't seem to find a drop off location that has a free shuttle after dropping off the car at the POM. Thanks for any help!

I would contact the rental company that you are checking out. - call or email them. Most of the companies have a shuttle.

If not, where are you going that you need a shuttle once you get to the port ?

M.A.

I used Budget twice for this route. They did not have a shuttle when I used them, but someone posted the downtown 2nd location now has shuttle. Not sure if correct and you would have to call the location to verify.

Otherwise there is a paid shuttle from the Marriott Courtyard one block away to the port for $5 pp and they will book anyone if there is space available. Taxi is around $10.

Sure make 2 reservations - one for the first day and the second for after the ship docks.

They will each be one-way rentals (you have 24 hours with the cars.) but won't need them that long.

I do that for all the cruises we take.

In January '15 - we'll pick up our car at our local Budget office and drop it off at the Budget office by the Port entrance.

Then 7 days later, pick up another car at the port-area (17th St.) Budget office) and drop it

off when we get home.

We are locals but it works just the same if you are going to ports and/or airports.

Maryandi

Edited by Maryandi

Anyone know which rental is closer to POM. PBI has most of the rental companies FLL has even more.

I actually need the car for 2 days both at the beginning and end. At first I was going to book it for the entire 9 days but the rate was ridiculous, so thus this idea.

I would like to rent a car for my hubby and I to go from the FLL airport and take it to the POM to drop it off. I can't seem to find a drop off location that has a free shuttle after dropping off the car at the POM. Thanks for any help!

Even if you return it downtown and need a cab from there, it will only be $10 or so. If you find a much cheaper rental by dropping it at the airport, cabbing to the port from there is $26.

I would first price out and check availibility for one way trips at the companies at FLL and then call for the most accurate shuttle service info for your date.

Edited by eandj

Thanks for the help! I think this will def be the cheapest option as we are flying in very late to FLL and want to be able to get up and be on our own schedule to get to the POM in the morning. Most rates I have seen (for the car rental) for the time we will need it are right at $25 so even if we pay a taxi $10 to drop it off in town it will still be a lil more than some other options I have read and we will have the flexibility of our own schedule. We will be stopping at a store for wine, snacks, last min items, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hertz can do this...they have a location very close to POM...and shuttle you directly to terminal.

Have you actually used Hertz location there? Are they inside that parking garage there?

I get great rates with Hertz with Marriott Rewards CDP, but did not understand the text they include in rental location. They state that this Hertz local edition does not have a rental counter. What does that mean?

This location should be right across the street from the Courtyard, but I could not find their office and that is why I used Budget/Avis that are just one block up the same street.

Thanks for the help! I think this will def be the cheapest option as we are flying in very late to FLL and want to be able to get up and be on our own schedule to get to the POM in the morning. Most rates I have seen (for the car rental) for the time we will need it are right at $25 so even if we pay a taxi $10 to drop it off in town it will still be a lil more than some other options I have read and we will have the flexibility of our own schedule. We will be stopping at a store for wine, snacks, last min items, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We dropped off at MIA and took the free shuttle from the airport to the port. Sas transport is $15 pp they are wonderful to deal with

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you a rent a vehicle from either Alamo, National, Dollar, or Thifty they have free shuttle service from the Rental Car Center which is located directly across from Miami International Airport. Alamo and National share there shuttles and Dollar and Thifty share their shuttles. The free shuttles are located on the top floor of the Rental Car Center and the trip to the Port Of Miami takes approximately fifteen minutes. Budget, Hertz, and Avis have downtown Miami locations that are located very close to the Port Of Miami. I can't confirm if they have free shuttle service from there facilities but know that a taxi from there locations to the Port Of Miami is relatively inexpensive. At the conclusion of your cruise if you are renting a vehicle from Alamo, National, Dollar, or Thifty the free shuttles will also return you to the Rental Car Center. On some occasions the shuttle drivers will ask to see your car reservation paperwork because some cruise passengers are looking for free transportation back to Miami International Airport. I normally rent from Dollar and have never had a problem. The shuttles normally leave when there have a full load of cruise passengers.