Suggestions for an itinerary

neetneet66

We will be in port from 1pm to 8pm. The best I can tell we will be the only ship in that day. Things we would like to see are, Maho for the plains, Fort Lewis for the views, Marigot for desserts, and Grand Case for local foods. We will be renting a car and my questions are.... Is this all doable with the time we have and is there a good way to do this? Since this will be our first visit any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

We will be in port from 1pm to 8pm. The best I can tell we will be the only ship in that day. Things we would like to see are, Maho for the plains, Fort Lewis for the views, Marigot for desserts, and Grand Case for local foods. We will be renting a car and my questions are.... Is this all doable with the time we have and is there a good way to do this? Since this will be our first visit any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

We were just there from 1-8 pm on Memorial Day and we were also the only ship in port. They was hardly any traffic at all around the island and in town. I much prefer being in port from 8-5 pm as you would be able to spend more time at each of your stops.

Even though we've been to St. Maarten many times we have never rented a car. Others in the forum have rented cars so hopefully they can add some helpful hints on driving and parking in St Maarten. I know parking can be a little difficult in just trying to find a parking spot.

Since this is your first visit, have you thought about taking a tour and having them show you their island of paradise?

We have taken Bernards Tour many time and they are highly rated here on cc and tripadvisor. On Tour 1, they will take you to Maho and Marigot and make other stops along the way.

http://www.bernardstours.com

Your plan sound very doable and having one ship in port will makes it a lot easier for you with less traffic in driving around the island. Keep in mind you will still hit some traffic with the locals coming home from work and those going to work for the late shift, so allow yourself enough time to get back to the port.

The easiest and most practical route for you would be to go to Maho first and then to Marigot via the new causeway and then have pastries at Serafina's and then drive up to the parking lot by Fort St. Louis and then drive to Grand Case for some local food and then head back to the ship.

Thanks for the replies. Karysa I saw you posted in another thread that you enjoyed roads to Anse Marcel and cliffs in Cupocoy (sp). Do you think we could fit in some nice scenic views? Thanks again

You might be able to depending on how much time you spend at each place and the traffic. If you want to go to Cupocoy then look in to taking the road through the Mullet Bay golf course after your stop at Maho. This road leads to the parking for the cliffs at Cupocoy but it is not easy to find. The same road that takes you through the golf course at Mullet will lead you to Marigot. After Marigot and then Grand Case you can drive to Anse Marcel in about 10 minutes but you will need to leave plenty of time for the return trip to the port as it takes 40 minutes or so. Now one thing that I would suggest is that you check with your car rental agency to see when is the latest that you can return your car at. If the rental agency closes at 6 then you will need to narrow down your choices.

I'm also planning a day on my own, but would rather stick with taxis. We're in port from 8:00 to 6:00 so I think there'll be plenty of time. I want to start at Orient, then head to Grand Case or Marigot (or both) then down to Maho before returning to the ship. I'm traveling solo but hope to share at least the first cab with someone from my ship.

Does this sound like a reasonable plan? I've seen the comments about taxis between Orient, Maho, & Phillipsburg, but I'm wondering if I'll have any problems getting taxis from Orient to Marigot or Grand Case and from there to Maho? Are there any safety concerns?

• 2 weeks later...

Since you're in port 1-8pm, definitely hit up Maho first! Get there ASAP or you'll miss the biggest (most fun) planes, which are usually in the couple hours around noon.

As for staying til 8pm..I guess I would just be cautious on planning out the later hours of the day. I've never been in St Maarten that late but we've found at other ports that a lot of shops close by 5-6pm, so I'd make sure to thoroughly research your later plans!

I'm also planning a day on my own, but would rather stick with taxis. We're in port from 8:00 to 6:00 so I think there'll be plenty of time. I want to start at Orient, then head to Grand Case or Marigot (or both) then down to Maho before returning to the ship. I'm traveling solo but hope to share at least the first cab with someone from my ship.

Does this sound like a reasonable plan? I've seen the comments about taxis between Orient, Maho, & Phillipsburg, but I'm wondering if I'll have any problems getting taxis from Orient to Marigot or Grand Case and from there to Maho? Are there any safety concerns?

Are you at all flexible about skipping Orient? I would go to Marigot first and then head to Maho and then walk over to Mullet Bay Beach and then taxi back to the port.

I guess you could do Orient until 10:30, Marigot from 11-12:30, Maho from 1-3 and back to the ship.

The first plan would be cheaper and you would have more beach time and less travel time.