Carnival, Please Take More of My Money, Their Response, "No"

LasseKjus

So here's the deal. I booked a last-minute cruise on Carnival. As you see from my signature, haven't traveled on Carnival much, but this worked out with dates and price.

Booked an OV guarantee for three at the Super Saver rate and a Inside guarantee for two at the Super Saver rate. At the time, I was fully aware that I was not likely to get the rooms together. I've done this before on different lines. One time on Disney, I actually got two side-by-side ocean views when booked at inside. Other times last minute, I literally got the last cabins on the ship, so I just had to deal. We can deal with being separated.

I got my room assignments. Deck one for the ocean view (in the lowest category) and deck 7 for the inside (in the highest inside category).

I paid $770 for two for the inside room. On the Carnival site, there is an inside directly across the hall from the assignment for the ocean view available. It is $200 MORE than I have currently paid, but it is in the second lowest inside category.

I called Carnival to see about switching and paying the difference in fair. Again, I've done this before several times. Granted, we got in super cheap and I am not upset this can't be done. I knew what I was getting in to.

They would not make the switch because the cabin can not be downgraded. In short, they would not take more of my money because I can't downgrade a room.

Strange, but true.

Staterooms can be downgraded on a case by case basis at the discretion of a supervisor.

Usually, if the lower category stateroom is cheaper, they will not downgrade you unless you state you have no intention of asking for the difference in price.

Keep calling, each answer with Carnival's customer support representatives will be different. There is no consistency at their call center.

Edited by Disconnections

Lets see, a customer who wants to spend more money with carnival, needs to call and call and call to beg them to take his money. Does not seem the company is being run the right way.. If I was the OP I would not call again, I would save the money.. why beg someome to take your money.. Spend it at a business at one of your ports, I am sure they will appreciate the money.

So here's the deal. I booked a last-minute cruise on Carnival. As you see from my signature, haven't traveled on Carnival much, but this worked out with dates and price.

Booked an OV guarantee for three at the Super Saver rate and a Inside guarantee for two at the Super Saver rate. At the time, I was fully aware that I was not likely to get the rooms together. I've done this before on different lines. One time on Disney, I actually got two side-by-side ocean views when booked at inside. Other times last minute, I literally got the last cabins on the ship, so I just had to deal. We can deal with being separated.

I got my room assignments. Deck one for the ocean view (in the lowest category) and deck 7 for the inside (in the highest inside category).

I paid $770 for two for the inside room. On the Carnival site, there is an inside directly across the hall from the assignment for the ocean view available. It is $200 MORE than I have currently paid, but it is in the second lowest inside category.

I called Carnival to see about switching and paying the difference in fair. Again, I've done this before several times. Granted, we got in super cheap and I am not upset this can't be done. I knew what I was getting in to.

They would not make the switch because the cabin can not be downgraded. In short, they would not take more of my money because I can't downgrade a room.

Strange, but true.

Most likely it is true... but it sounds rather silly on Carnival's behalf. Personally I would save my money and deal with the separation. But if it is important to you I would recommend that you keep calling until someone gives you the answer you want.

I agree with everyone keep calling till you get the answer you want to hear. I've done that plenty of times. Is it frustrating YES! But all it takes is one person on the other end to say ok. Also, the choice of words you use when calling plays a great deal. If you call and say you want to change rooms especially after final payment more then likely will get you a quick No. However, if you say you'll like to see how much it would cost to upgrade myself from this deck or stateroom to that one usually results in a better result. Petty yes...but some of those agents are on autopilot...they hear only select words. Lol. Good luck.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

My advice is stop calling them.....

JUST KIDDING {*_*}

I always wanted to take the "dumb" side of an argument!

SERIOUSLY...

call until your fingers get blisters.

We go through a AAA TA and when we want something changed, we

ask her to do it since she has more "juice" b/c she's with AAA

and we're just ...passengers.

If you can deal with being separated, I wouldn't keep wasting time just before vacation calling and calling. That money can be used for something else. If it was that big of a deal I would think you would have booked another way and picked your rooms. I had a situation where I needed to change my room, which meant a downgrade, and Carnival would not do it. I called twice. Booked early saver, which for the purposes of downgrading, has the same restrictions as the rate you booked. Obviously they aren't concerned with the extra money. Someone will book that room regardless.

I'm going to deal and see if there is anything that can be done at port. Looks like plenty of rooms are available currently.

Most of the time, nothing is done at port. This ships usually have a sign posted saying this ship is full, no cabins or upgrades available. They will do what they can last minute to fill it, even giving away cabins.

If you want the change... call again...

This is one of those scenarios where having a veteran TA can help.

Mine has gotten a few concessions for me that were technically against policy.

As others have said a few more phone calls should take care of it.

That's because too many customer service reps can't think for themselves, they just read from a script and follow guidelines. I would call back and ask for a supervisor.

Its not a matter of 'can't think'; its of 'not allowed to'.

CSRs at almost every business have standard guidelines they have to adhere to. This allows for a uniform customer experience. If every CSR was allowed to do whatever they deemed fit, there would probably be lawsuits waiting to happen left, right & center.

Of course, the downside is idiotic stuff like what the OP encountered.

As others have posted, call again and speak with a different CSR; you will get a different response.

Or save the $200 and buy 'moar' drinks.:D

For the sake of comparison, I looked today and there are a mess of cabins available and at least 8 pair that are connecting. The "select your room rate" is currently even cheaper than my super saver booking (stupid me). I also counted the sheer number of rooms available just one week out from sailing and it's 72 (now that may not be an actual count, but that's what one can select ... maybe some of those are soon to be assigned to guarantees). 72 rooms available seems like a ton.

Anyway, I called again to try to see if I could get the one oceanview room changed,even though I technically shouldn't be allowed to pick my stateroom, and upgrade the inside to oceanview.

I think my wording changed my outcome too. I asked "how much would it cost to change my rooms to the two connecting oceanviews?"

At first, I was met with, "this can't be done... we can upgrade both rooms to a balcony." But this agent was more salesperson than the first. When I said I wasn't interested in balcony, she said she'd see what she could do.

She coudn't do it, she said, to oceanview connecting since both rooms were for 3 people. I pointed out the sheer number of rooms available and I doubted they could sell 70+ rooms in the last 7 days unless they went on super sale and she again said she'd see what she could do and needed to talk to a supervisor.

After about 20 minutes of hold time, CARNIVAL DID AGREE TO ACCEPT MORE OF MY MONEY. Granted it wasn't much money and it's a less than a week cruise so we could have dealt, but it's nice to know they finally were rational and wanted more of my cash. Everything has its price. Problem solved.