Vegan/gluten free...princess food ratings?

WINEMANVISALIA

Would love to know from recent cruisers who are vegan, veganish and or gluten free how they felt about the food choices on Princess....I know there are Vegan choices and some foods can be ordered in advance...but how is the taste and did you feel you missed something in the food choices...

Thanks in advance, we have not cruised in a while and wondered if now is a good time to return in our senior years with different eating habits? :>))

I am Celiac and am very pleased with Princess. They probably do the best with desserts of any of the lines we have tried. You will find them very accommodating and the food is excellent. Have not had any bad reactions. The waiters, as a rule are very careful. It does vary from Ship to Ship and depends on the Chef's knowledge. Enjoy!

If you do a search, there was a recent Emerald Princess review by "Justin & Lauren" that was amazing! They are vegan and she included lots and lots of info and pictures of their meals. :cool:

Edited by canadarocks

I am gluten intolerant and will be sailing on the Golden on Saturday. What kinds of specialty gluten free items do they have? Like bagels/pancakes/muffins/buns etc??? I was on a cruise a few years ago and didn't find out about some items until the end of the cruise because I didn't know to ask for it.

Would love to know from recent cruisers who are vegan, veganish and or gluten free how they felt about the food choices on Princess....

LOL. "Veganish." I had a dinner companion on one cruise who would be that, I guess. She put cream in her coffee, but was vegan in all her food choices. She raved about several dishes, and I don't remember her complaining much. I think Princess must be doing a good job keeping up with the different dietary needs. It can't be easy to feed thousands of people with all kinds of different issues.

Amanda, I ate most of my meals in the MDR, so I can't comment about the buffet.

I had everything from special bread to desserts, and everything in between.

If you don't see anything on the menu that appeals to you, just tell your head waiter and they will make it especially for you.

The only thing I didn't like was the gluten free noodles. That wasn't the fault of PCL,. I don't care for most of them.

The first night, they can't make anything special, but if you ask, the head waiter will advise you what to eat. From then on, they will bring you a special menu, and you choose you food for the next day.

PCL is awesome about this.

Pat

You can ask for GF bread at HC, GF muffins at the IC, and GF pizza at Prego's. Except for the HC, you have to go a day ahead of time. I asked the IC to just always have muffins available and they did. The muffins were great and the pizza was good. I am not a huge fan of the bread as I prefer whole grain and this was white with that strange rice flavor if you know what I mean.

Oh, and there is always a GF desert at the IC. I am only gluten intolerant, not celiac, so sometimes I would get a cheesecake and be careful to only eat down close to the bottom. DH was always happy to eat the rest.

Would love to know from recent cruisers who are vegan, veganish and or gluten free how they felt about the food choices on Princess....I know there are Vegan choices and some foods can be ordered in advance...but how is the taste and did you feel you missed something in the food choices...

Thanks in advance, we have not cruised in a while and wondered if now is a good time to return in our senior years with different eating habits? :>))

My husband has been a vegan (formerly a vegetarian) for the last 2 1/2 years with the added restriction of no oil and no nuts.

Princess has always bent over backwards to make sure he has tasty meals with some variety.

And , as to your second question, yes - you do miss out on the many choices but that diet has that built into it in the first place.

Edited by chamima

You can ask for GF bread at HC, GF muffins at the IC, and GF pizza at Prego's. Except for the HC, you have to go a day ahead of time. I asked the IC to just always have muffins available and they did. The muffins were great and the pizza was good. I am not a huge fan of the bread as I prefer whole grain and this was white with that strange rice flavor if you know what I mean.

Oh, and there is always a GF desert at the IC. I am only gluten intolerant, not celiac, so sometimes I would get a cheesecake and be careful to only eat down close to the bottom. DH was always happy to eat the rest.

Thanks! GF muffins sound great!!