Hawaii Cruise in a wheelchair?

rickdeni

A year ago I booked the POA and 6 nights at Aulani to celebrate our 50th Anniversary. Last week I fell and fractured ankle and tore ligaments. Tomorrow I am scheduled for surgery. My son and family is going with us. My son keeps telling me to cancel but I am determined to do it since I am sure my grandchildren are really looking forward to it. I figure I will have a wheelchair and I have a walker. I know the tender port might be a problem but has anyone in a wheelchair had other problems.

You may be in extensive pain and unable to do many of the sights safely.You also would need a handicapped cabin. POA runs constantly. Save the experience for a full recovery when all parties can enjoy the HA experience.

I am aware of my pain level and what I will be able to do. My enjoyment will come from grandchildren telling me of their daily adventure. I will rent an additional car for my husband andI to do what I am able. What I am asking is for people's personal experiences.

I have done these ports with a wheelchair and most recently a walker. We do rent a car at each port and drive to whatever we want to see. I have not tendered at Lahainia in a wheelchair but have seen other s accommodated. My understanding is that each captain has the authority to deny tendering to mobility devices at his discretion.

Have a great trip.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

I wrote this in your original post on NCL but just in case...

I have been on the POA twice & both times I was pushing a wheelchair- the first time was expected, the second was not & was supposed to be a make up trip for me since the first I was helping my mom & pushing her all around!! :rolleyes:

The first time my mom was about to have a hip replacement so we brought a wheelchair. My parents did not have an accessible room & they did fine- although they had the folding wheelchair.

The second time my husband re-injured his knee during our pre-cruise stay on Oahu!! :mad: We had to buy crutches & rent a wheelchair. Again, we did not have an accessible room. No problem.

I am only 5'2 & 120lbs & I had no problems maneuvering my mom & my husband, both very hefty compared to short me, in the wheelchair around the ship. You also can most definitely tender as long as you don't have REALLY bad weather- we did both trips without issue. They were great helping us off the ship.

Not to sound mean, but Hawaii is primarily filled with tourists that are "a little more seasoned". ;) Everywhere we went was very accessible. First trip we did all excursions without issue, second trip we rented cars, without issue. The only time I had trouble pushing my hubby was first getting on the ship in Oahu. The ramp is VERY steep, but you can just request help & they will push the wheelchair for you. I did not realize that & I thought my hubby was gonna go flying over me, down the ramp & make a grand entrance onto the ship. Thankfully the CAPTAIN came & helped me- didn't realize it was him until I went to take back the helm. :D

Edited by MissMet

Thanks for the info. I was going to go solo to Hawaii, but now thinking of taking my mobility challenged sister.

Oh do take your sister, she will so enjoy it and so will you. My DH has mobility issues and cruising is the only way I can get him to go anywhere. I push the wheelchair and I always get help from kind strangers who are also on the cruise with me (especially if they are Australians). Have a great cruise and enjoy Hawaii.:)