What to pack for Alasaka?

stuckinge

We are cruising the Carnival Miracle on 7/22. I'm very confused of what I should be packing. I've heard others say they wish they had brought both cold and warm weather clothing. What's the opinions out there? Should we bring t-shirts, and fleece, etc...? I'm thinking sitting on our balcony, the wind will make it pretty chilly. And heck, I'm always looking for a new excuse for a new jacket.:) Are ponchos recommended?

I haven't been on an Alaskan cruise yet, but I've lived there. Think layers, with the outermost layer being waterproof/windproof. Gloves and hat around the glaciers. Camera a must. Binoculars if you have them.

We are cruising the Carnival Miracle on 7/22. I'm very confused of what I should be packing. I've heard others say they wish they had brought both cold and warm weather clothing. What's the opinions out there? Should we bring t-shirts, and fleece, etc...? I'm thinking sitting on our balcony, the wind will make it pretty chilly. And heck, I'm always looking for a new excuse for a new jacket.:) Are ponchos recommended?

We will also be on the July 22nd cruise and we plan on bringing layers. Everyone we spoke to told us the weather is so unpredictable. You wil need warmth during Tracy Fjord but in Juneau etc it may be much warmer.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

You'll want warm and cold weather clothes, weather in Alaska changes whenever it feels like it, not by the calendar! It's cold in the glacier areas. Rains a lot--it is a rain forest.

I went in May and being from Florida I don't know what long underwear is, never had fleece anything! I bought things I didn't need as we had beautiful weather and got no rain! I did wear a warm coat on deck at Tracy Fjord.

Alaska is so beautiful! Enjoy!

Well I live in Alaska & think I can help you out! The breeze will be chilly, especially when you hit Glacier Bay. Layering is your best bet! We currently have wonderful weather - sun shining & high 60's - high 70's (I'm in Anchorage). It's likely you could experience rain at some point & that will be chilly as well. Layer, layer, layer! :)

We did September and wore long sleeves over t-shirts or long sleeve turtle necks most every port. We always had a sweatshirt along tied around the waist mostly. When you cruise glacier bay you will freeze your @%& off. We could not put on enough to stay warm on deck. In a word "layers".

We never got a day of rain, but had friends on the cruise right after us and it rained every day.

I went in June, was there for the midnight sun. You need layers like everyone stated. Also a rain slicker or poncho will be good to have. I would also pack a pair of shorts, we had such a heat spell, (80's or 90's it was hot) I kept asking when they were turning on the AC in the stores in the towns.

Enjoy your cruise!

if you look down the page you'll see a similar question, and it was answered extensively.

The key is LAYERS, topped by a hooded waterproof jacket. The layer next to your skin would be changed daily so several long sleeveT shirts, then 2 pullovers or sweaters/sweatshirts for warmth. Bring a pair of shorts or capris for warm weather. If you do glacier viewing, bring gloves and a hat/scarf.

Unless you're doing serious hiking, waterproof your sneakers or walking shoes.

And bring a daypack to store your layers when the weather changes during the day.

Yes layers are great! But I think it also depends on where you live and what you are use to. Since I live in Seattle, it wasn't that much different for me. So even though it was only 50-60 degrees I didnt need a coat. If you live in the Southern states and 60 is cold for you, bring a coat or heavier sweaters. The only time I needed my coat was going thru the Tracy Arm. I also checked the weather reports a lot before going and tried to pack accordingly. I just would rather wear a sweater with vest then a big bulky jacket while touring and going in and out of places as well. But for me most of the cruise was comfortable and it was only in the 60's. We even went swimming in Ketchikan and it was only about 66 degrees that day.

I do think some rain gear is a must though. It can even just mist a little. We usually just pack rain ponches to put over our clothes.

I can be cold pretty easily in A/C but found myself wearing short sleeves on the ship in the indoor areas or a light long sleeve shirt as I found in Alaska they seemed to keep the indoor areas warmer then on warmer weather cruises.

I am almost never cold - I haven't worn a coat more than 3-4 times a year...so I was clueless about what to take - and looking forward to being cold! Layering sounds like it will work for me. I don't like wearing a jacket, so if its above 50 degrees and not raining I will be so happy.

I'm packing so that all tops/bottoms will coordinate - slacks [1], jeans [2] and capris [1 or 2]. My tops [6 or 8] will be a mix of short, 3/4 and long sleeve for layering - day and casual nights; a lightweight down jacket, and variety of scarves for warm, fun, dressy. I'm throwing in a pair of silkies to wear under jeans in Glacier Bay. A black dress for formal night with accessories.

Shoes are the killer for me - leaning toward leather Keds [yes, I'm a throwback!] or leather loafers on excursions if it's rainy since my walking shoes are more mesh than leather, and wonder if waterproof spray would work for that. I have tried on hiking shoes and so far they are not comfortable on my feet - even the lightweight ones just feel wrong!

Alaska is its own weather machine and is quite unpredictable. I would be thinking in terms of a water/wind proof jacket (not lined), sweater or fleece, warm socks, warm shoes which have been sprayed with waterproofing) gloves, mitts.....and yes throw in a few t-shirts and shorts you may just hit a few of those warm days. As for a poncho....IMO they are absolutely useless on a ship or in Alaska, when the wind blows its a full time job to hold them in position.

Just finished packing today. We are leaving in the am and doing land on our own the first week. I like to be prepared so I packed a rain jacket, light fleece jacket, heavier fleece jacket (don't like sweatshirts), some long sleeve shirts, short sleeve shirts, 2 pairs of jeans (wearing one on plane), formal outfit, 4 pairs of shoes, fleece vests and a silk underwear top. Some = I don't want to admit how many.lol Probably over packed, but that's what I do.

Alaska is its own weather machine and is quite unpredictable. I would be thinking in terms of a water/wind proof jacket (not lined), sweater or fleece, warm socks, warm shoes which have been sprayed with waterproofing) gloves, mitts.....and yes throw in a few t-shirts and shorts you may just hit a few of those warm days. As for a poncho....IMO they are absolutely useless on a ship or in Alaska, when the wind blows its a full time job to hold them in position.

Yes. Also a hat to keep your head warm . A ball cap

under the hood of a lightweight rain jacket is good if you wear glasses.

Yes. Also a hat to keep your head warm . A ball cap

under the hood of a lightweight rain jacket is good if you wear glasses.

You are absolutely correct, it was on my mind but forgot about the cap, ball caps are good ashore but often what we Canadians call a toque (beanie, knitted cap, watch keepers cap), or a Tilley with its straps is a good bet aboard....they don't blow away.

Thank you so much!! These suggestions were along the lines I was thinking. I am the cold natured one in my family (we live in OK, and I still bring my jacket into restaurants during the summer because I'll freeze in the AC).

These boards are a huge wealth of information, just a little overwhelming when trying to search for specific things.

By the way, I see some cabins decorate their doors or will put cruise critic signs on them. Where can I get one of those? It'd be neat if we could meet some new friends. :)

I have printed up my own sign with the CC logo on card stock then glued on the back some magnetic material that I purchased at a dollar store. You can purchase a magnetic sign from CC if you look at the site.