Driving from bush int to galveston ....anything to avoid

Funbobby68

Having driven this route numerous times over the years, I suggest you take 59South when leaving airport to 45 south to Galveston, which you will pick up in town.

Hwy 45 from the airport is always congested and a lousy road.

Hwy 59 is a nice, wide hwy that is rarely congested.

Having driven this route numerous times over the years, I suggest you take 59South when leaving airport to 45 south to Galveston, which you will pick up in town.

Hwy 45 from the airport is always congested and a lousy road.

Hwy 59 is a nice, wide hwy that is rarely congested.

Thanks for the info

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

The thing about downtown Houtson traffic is that it can be something of a crap shoot if it's clear; it only takes one accident downtown to royally foul things. If you have a smart phone, I'd check traffic reports after your flight. Find the link at traffic.houstontranstar.org for mobile. Smooth sailing? Go 59 to 45. Back ups on various interchanges that do not include "loop 610" or "loop 8/ Sam Houston Toll", I'd go 610 - take the 610 East branch around to 45 south of downtown.

If you stay on 59 to 45 South, it is on the south side of town. Just have to be sure to be in the right lane just past town to exit.

I find the 610 loop backs up and ends up taking longer than the straight shot.

I drive Galveston - Woodlands - Galveston all the time to visit DS.

If you stay on 59 to 45 South, it is on the south side of town. Just have to be sure to be in the right lane just past town to exit.

I find the 610 loop backs up and ends up taking longer than the straight shot.

I drive Galveston - Woodlands - Galveston all the time to visit DS.

I don't do it all the time. Just often enough to have had the fun of trying to get through when somebody broke down/ had an accident at the 45/ 10 or 45/59 interchanges. That's why I suggested checking the website - the route you suggested is the best as long as there aren't horrible traffic snarls downtown - but I sometimes have rotten traffic luck.

Better choice would be to fly into Hobby Airport if at all possible.

Flights are booked and cars already rented ect , and the flight was way shorter going to Bush

The Beltway is a better option but might have to watch out for the toll amounts. If you use the rental car's easy tag you may be charged additional amounts for easy tag. Check the notice in the car before using the toll roads.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What kinda toll are there , do u stop and pay is it cash only

They've gone toll-tag ONLY on the north-east side. So that's 13 miles you'd have to either take the frontage road or have a tag. It isn't densely populated with lights, but it does have stops. Once you hit 90, you can get on with paid tolls. Tolls run between one and two dollars each; it seems they keep climbing.

https://www.hctra.org/tollroads_rates/sam-houston-tollway-clockwise?CSRT=4073283716747783010

They've gone toll-tag ONLY on the north-east side. So that's 13 miles you'd have to either take the frontage road or have a tag. It isn't densely populated with lights, but it does have stops. Once you hit 90, you can get on with paid tolls. Tolls run between one and two dollars each; it seems they keep climbing.

https://www.hctra.org/tollroads_rates/sam-houston-tollway-clockwise?CSRT=4073283716747783010

Will the rental car have the tags , not worried about cost more being arrested for not paying a toll ,kinda like running a border , in BC we just get a letter in the mail for the two bridges that have toll

Be very wary of driving the toll road in a rental. I don't believe they have tags. The fees the rental agency will charge (from the toll road authority) are very high. Your credit card will be charged - not inexpensive!

Will the rental car have the tags , not worried about cost more being arrested for not paying a toll ,kinda like running a border , in BC we just get a letter in the mail for the two bridges that have toll

The best thing to do is to ask the local rental agency. The tollway authority will trace the tags to the rental agency, who will make it a rather expensive add-on if they didn't have a tag. But you should be okay with 610 east.

The best thing to do is to ask the local rental agency. The tollway authority will trace the tags to the rental agency, who will make it a rather expensive add-on if they didn't have a tag. But you should be okay with 610 east.

I would still take 59s to 45S.

A straight line is much shorter than the loop. May be some traffic, but the loop can also back up in Pasadena and there are lots (lots) of trucks because of the refineries.

Whichever route you take

The likely slow down traffic

Will be after the Beltway 8 and 45 south interchange.

This being on 45 South between BW 8 and Nasa rd one .

Construction is there but there will always be 6 lanes

3 each way open at all times.

It will be Saturday with Galveston bound and bed room community traffic.

Thanks for all the advise , nice thing is that I have time , we sail on the Sunday and arrive at bush at 130 ish . So as long as I'm in Galveston for some good sea food for dinner , I'm all good , just want to make it painless , and get there so I can snap a beer and relax

Thanks for all the advise , nice thing is that I have time , we sail on the Sunday and arrive at bush at 130 ish . So as long as I'm in Galveston for some good sea food for dinner , I'm all good , just want to make it painless , and get there so I can snap a beer and relax

I assume you arrive on a sat and sail on a sun. Forget all the toll road nonsense. No need to use them whatsoever. As Galveston Cruiser said. US59 south to I45 South. I45 ends on Galveston Island. It really doesn't get any easier. (you can use I610 to avoid the downtown area, but not really needed on the weekend). You may hit a little traffic though downtown or some on I45 just south the connector with 610 but not a big enough of a deal to worry about. Just take the direct route and enjoy the ride and view. (you will pass right by the baseball stadium, convention center, toyota center, soccer stadium, and all the tall buildings of downtown will be in view as you transit downtown. :D )

All Great advise , and yes coming in Saturday for Sunday sailing , since I seamed to have tapped in to a wealth of knowledge , after to arriving back from the cruise , we don't fly out till 5:00 pm , so any suggestion for a quick side trip to kill a few hours

ssb has a standard page-long printed blurb that you can find for 'things to do' in Galveston... but if you tell us your top 5 interests, we can tell you if there's something 'can't-miss' for you guys.

Got my to kids in tow 18/14 so clothes shopping , wife and I just enjoy walking around looking around shopping for eclectic stuff , and good food , but after a week on the ship might still be full