Sideways inside rooms on Maasdam

Orcrone

On the Maasdam there are three inside rooms in category K (548, 549, 565) that are turned sideways and are against the stairs or escalators. On the deck plan they look a little bigger than the other inside rooms.

Two questions:

1. Does anyone know if they are bigger?

2. Is it noisy being near the escalator or stairs?

Thanks,

Marc

1/1990 - RCCL Song of America

4/13/2003 - Carnival Inspiration

10/30/2004 - Maasdam

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0924ff&cdt=2004;10;30;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0400

Till sailing on the Maasdam

I don not know about the Maasdam, but on the Amsterdam, it seemed maybe a little smaller, but you have a little hole or nook around the corner to stash stuff like suitcases. Didn't hear any noise.

Kathy

Last Cruise -- Maasdam - E. Carrib - 11/03

Next Cruise -- Volendam - Eastfarer - 12/04

Thanks Kathy,

Looking at the deck plans it seems that the sideways rooms are larger on the Maasdam. I didn't find it any obviously larger or smaller looking at the deck plans for the Amsterdam. I'm thinking of booking it if it's larger, but I'm concerned about the noise. So I appreciate the feedback about that.

Marc

10/30/2004 - Maasdam

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0924ff&cdt=2004;10;30;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0400

My husband and I had one of the "sideways" rooms on "A" deck on the Ryndam. We loved it. The room had more "walking" space. It had a feeling of being less crowded than the regular rectangular shaped rooms.The only downside was less closet space. It was also more midship - which was better for my husband who occasionally suffers from "mal de mer". If I had to take an inside cabin again, I'd take the "sideways" one.

Regards, Elizabeth

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff00ff&cdt=2003;11;30;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Until 30 Nov 03 - Maasdam Eastern Caribbean Cruise

ecormier,

were you near the steps, and if you were how was the noise?

After posting this I took a look at the deck plan of the Ryndam. The sideways rooms are no where near the stairs. On the Maasdam they abut either the stairs or the escalator. That's the part that has me worried.

thanks,

Marc

10/30/2004 - Maasdam

Marc-

One of our CC buddies had one, it was pretty good sized. I think it was near the stairs, they didn't mention any noise. I can email them and ask...

Laura

Noordam 1984

Veendam 1999

Amsterdam 2000

Noordam 2001

Statendam 2001

Noordam 2002

Zuiderdam 2003

Maasdam 2004.

Noordam 2004

Laura,

That would be great if you don't mind doing that. I don't want to tell DW about this "big" room we can have for the same price, then have her wake up every time someone goes up or down the stairs. She would not be happy. On other threads I've read that people have not had trouble with noise in different areas, but I want to double check.

Thanks,

Marc

10/30/2004 - Maasdam

I think cracker ken had one on the Volendam #1875

Mardi Gras - 2/81

Festivale - 10/86

Holiday - 10/90

Festivale - 10/94

Norwegian Sea - 11/97

Norway - 10/99

Zaandam - 10/03

next - Veendam - 11/05

Laura - thanks, looking forward to your friends thoughts.

boards - I posted a topic for Cracker Ken, but he hasn't seen it yet. Think it's lower down on the page. I'll give it a bump if it gets too far down or if I see him show up as being online.

10/30/2004 - Maasdam

Sorry had not got to it. I was interested in it too after having read his review, because normally book inside cabins also. We are booked for cabin 600 on the Veendam for Nov. 26, 2005. We had an outside cabin 2630 on the Zaandam last year and it was great, but we were orignally booked in 2584 until we say a price decrease. We checked out the inside cabin anyway and it appeared to be just fine and that is why we booked the inside cabin for next year.

Mardi Gras - 2/81

Festivale - 10/86

Holiday - 10/90

Festivale - 10/94

Norwegian Sea - 11/97

Norway - 10/99

Zaandam - 10/03

next - Veendam - 11/05

Dear Marc,

If I can't get my favorite J-category inside cabin on the Lower Promenade deck, I like to try and get K-565 on Main Deck ... which is oriented sideways beside the escalators in S-class ships. It most definitely has the "feel" of being larger ... in part that's due to the difference in the deck-plan of these inside the cabins ... you enter through a side door, rather than from the end. It certainly FEELS bigger. I would prefer being one deck up, and in a J, but if I can't, I try to go for THAT cabin. I would gladly try K 548 or K 549 ... they look like they might be similar; the same would be true for M 773 or M 769 on A deck. But, I prefer to stay AFT of the forward elevators and ... thereby ... cut down a little bit on the motion.

As for sound ... I didn't have a problem with sound when I stayed in in K 565.

Greg+

Maasdam: Western Caribbean Cruise Pictures

Volendam: Wayfarer Cruise Pictures and Video

Statendam: Hawaii Cruise Pictures and Video

Volendam: Alaska Inside Passage Cruise Pictures

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0924ff&cdt=2004;09;25;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-1000

Until Departure on the MS Zaandam, Panama Canal

<center>

<a href="http://www.escati.com/counter98/free_time_codes.htm">

time98.gif</center>

What do you like about the J-Cat.? Just fact of being on the Lower Promenade? Just curious, as I said in an earlier comment, we usually book inside cabins, but on the main deck.

Mardi Gras - 2/81

Festivale - 10/86

Holiday - 10/90

Festivale - 10/94

Norwegian Sea - 11/97

Norway - 10/99

Zaandam - 10/03

next - Veendam - 11/05

Thanks Greg,

I spoke with HAL and the rooms are 217 square feet vs. 182 for the regular rooms. I'll speak to DW and if she wants I'll give our TA a call. At last check 2 of the 3 were still available.

I hadn't noticed the 'M' rooms, mainly because we're already booked in 'K', and for some reason the 'K' rooms are less money even though a higher category. But they look like they have the advantage of not being near any stairs.

Marc

10/30/2004 - Maasdam

I agree with Greg in favoring the Js among the S clsss inside cabins. From them it's just a few steps to an outside deck and just up one flight of stairs to the offices (pursers' and tour) as well as the Java Cafe and lower level of the show lounge.

bb,

DW makes me take the lowest level to make me walk the stairs. icon_frown.gif

Only managed Main deck this time because 'K' was the least expensive room.

10/30/2004 - Maasdam

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> What do you like about the J-Cat.? Just fact of being on the Lower Promenade? Just curious, as I said in an earlier comment, we usually book inside cabins, but on the main deck.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Boards, the J-Category is wonderful for the following reasons:

1. They're just a few steps away from the outside promenade deck. Hence, one has a balcony on BOTH sides of the ship just a minute away.

2. They're in the MIDDLE of the ship -- both from fore to aft and port to starboard -- hence sea motion is the least of anywhere onboard.

3. Being in the MIDDLE of an S-class ship, it's never a far walk to get ANYWHERE onboard. They're just aft from the Atrium, hence access to all public decks is easy through the central stairs. Additionally, on R class ships they're not far from either the Atrium or the central stairs/elevators, which improves matters even more.

4. They're very close to the self-service laundry.

Those are the 4 big reasons why I prefer J-catagory inside cabins. In short, location location and location. icon_smile.gif

Greg+

Maasdam: Western Caribbean Cruise Pictures

Volendam: Wayfarer Cruise Pictures and Video

Statendam: Hawaii Cruise Pictures and Video

Volendam: Alaska Inside Passage Cruise Pictures

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0924ff&cdt=2004;09;25;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-1000

Until Departure on the MS Zaandam, Panama Canal

<center>

<a href="http://www.escati.com/counter98/free_time_codes.htm">

time98.gif</center>

Hi Revneal, Do you know much about the M cabins on the Rotterdam VI, my TA told me they were the same size as the regular, but they look a little larger from the brochures and we are booked in the regular cabins, but I could easily change since I am 17 months out.

thanks in advance

jc

Upcoming cruise HAL Rotterdam VI 11/2005 South America

Legend of the Seas RCI 3/03 New Zealand, Tahiti, Hawaii, Adventure of the Seas RCI 2/02 Southern Caribbean, Radiance of the Seas RCI 10/01 Vancouver to Hawaii, Millennium Celebrity 10/00 Eastern Mediterranean, Galaxy Celebrity 12/99 Southern Caribbean, Sensation Carnival 4/98 Eastern Caribbean, Majesty of the Seas RCI 1/96 Western Caribbean

email me at xpcdoojk@yahoo.com

On a cruise last year on an S Class, the hotel manager had his children and grandchild in this cabin, so it could not be too bad. I did notice that they turned the escalator off around 8 pm on this cruise for some mysterious reason. BTW-they were wonderful people.

Gary

Hello folks!

Orcrone - The sideways inside cabin we had on Ryndam was 773. I think it was on "A" deck. It's a cat. M cabin. 769 and 773 are situated sideways. I don't know the proper term for these cabins, but "sideways" works for me. icon_wink.gif

This room is quiet. This is midships, and there's no stairs or elevators around. The only nuisance is if someone makes noise in the corridors. You can get great exercise using the stairs to go to this cabin. Closet space isn't as much as on the Rotterdam, but it's still adequate. This cabin is roomy.

xpcdoojk - jc - When we sailed on Rotterdam VI, we were on the Dolphin deck, cabin 1875 (a "sideways" cabin), cat. M. I love that cabin. Lots of room. If I'm ever on the Rotterdam again, I'll be begging for this one. Lots of closet space, and plenty of room. This one is midships near the stairs and elevators. We don't recall any noise at all. There's no cramped feeling in this cabin at all. I'd be curious as to the real sq ft of the cabin, as I think it exceeds 185 sq ft.

One thing to watch for when looking at cabins, is whether or not they are listed as "Large" or "Standard." It's hard to tell from the diagram. We thought we had one of these roomy cabins booked on Zuiderdam (#5005), but it turned out to be a "standard" cabin and was really tiny (someone thought maybe 130-135 sq ft, I agree). It was a "sideways" cabin, but really small. Buyer beware.

I don't get an inferiority complex by being inside and in steerage. We help pay the freight too. icon_cool.gif

Hope this helps.

Ken

Rotterdam 5/03 NE/C

Zuiderdam 8/30/03 E. Carib.

Veendam 11/22/03 W. Carib.

Ryndam 12/21/03 Mexico

Celebrity Mercury - 5/04 Alaska

Next - Caribbean Princess - 9/04

Thanks everyone. We're waiting to hear back from ekerr's friend and then DW and I will make a decision. Right now we're mid-ship. This will be a little bit further forward, but still pretty near the middle.

10/30/2004 - Maasdam

• 2 years later...

We are sailing on the Statendam on March 2, 2007 and have one of those sideways cabins. Our concern is that we want a sofa to sit on to watch TV at night and no one is able to confirm that there either is one or there isn't one. Even HAL won't talk to us since we made the reservation through a TA. Can one of you that has occupied this type of cabin confirm the furniture setup?

We are sailing on the Statendam on March 2, 2007 and have one of those sideways cabins. Our concern is that we want a sofa to sit on to watch TV at night and no one is able to confirm that there either is one or there isn't one. Even HAL won't talk to us since we made the reservation through a TA. Can one of you that has occupied this type of cabin confirm the furniture setup?

like this?

Virgil

That looks like it, is it oriented front to back instead of side-to-side? We have not stayed in one of these before and were worried, but happy with the extra room. Hard to deal with reps that don't want to talk to you. Will change TA before next trip. We are doing a back-to-back and don't want to be stuck in the same room if it is awful. Thanks a lot, that is a comfort.

Archived