Going crazy trying to figure out transportation to Anchorage

pokerpro5

How about just admitting that they are gouging people, but that the gouging is taking place partially because it's a 1-season business, and they basically make no money for about 8 months per year?

When you consider a shuttle bus from a cruise port traveling 60 miles, $53 doesn’t sound that unreasonable. SuperShuttle in LA appears to charge similarly from San Pedro to LAX, about $1/mile. ShuttleExpress in Seattle charges $22 from Pier 91 to the airport and it’s about 17 miles. Why is charging $53 for traveling 60 miles being gouged? What are you comparing it to?

They aren't gouging. It is supply and demand. They are just trying to make a living in a very expensive place to live.

If you don't like it, why don't you just stay home and quit complaining?

I don't need to stay home.

Using a 5% discount code on that side recommended here, I got all 3 bus tickets for a TOTAL of $99.

Then I am renting a car in Anchorage for $55.

Ouya-Kickstarter-02.jpg

When you consider a shuttle bus from a cruise port traveling 60 miles, $53 doesn’t sound that unreasonable. SuperShuttle in LA appears to charge similarly from San Pedro to LAX, about $1/mile. ShuttleExpress in Seattle charges $22 from Pier 91 to the airport and it’s about 17 miles. Why is charging $53 for traveling 60 miles being gouged? What are you comparing it to?

SuperShuttle is a van. It doesn't carry 50 people. Huge difference.

For example, you don't see me complaining about the price of taking a taxi from Whittier to Anchorage, because it is understandable that taking a 60-mile trip in a private car is going to cost a lot of money.

Funny story, I was faced with those same rental car prices last year when I had to pick up in Anchorage and drop off in Seward. Hertz is the only player in that game, and Seward is a lot further away from Anchorage than Whittier is. The rental prices were over $300/day and I needed a car for close to a week. However, when I told them I was there on business, the prices dropped down to about $100/day for a small crossover.

This was the Anchorage airport Hertz, not like the small town Whittier Alamo. So I do think pokerpro5 isn't too far off base with his gouging remark. Spray it with perfume by calling it supply and demand, that's fine, but considering those drastic price differences between tourist and professional, I do think the tourists are being extorted.

I booked this company before the season for $28pp, there was 13 of us, and once at the port they were taking people that didn't have a transfer for $32. We had Judy as a driver and she was wonderful. This is a 50ish seating shuttle with a trailer and did a great job. They have been doing this for about 4 years so I think that was a fair price. Anchorage Tours & Transfers.

Happy cruising,

Pam