Is Capri a suitable day trip with a baby?

Jen_Jon_2007

Just wondering if there is anything suitable to do with a baby? Form my research so far it seems most people recommended boat trips around the island or the chair lift, neither of which would work for us and our one year old. Just wondered if there was anything else to do that people would recommend? It looks such a beautiful island but maybe not worth the £80 hydrofoil trip if not baby friendly? Thanks :0)

If you're up for it, Capri is fabulous for walking/hiking. Unfortunately, however, except right in the towns (Capri and Anacapri) it's not particularly stroller-friendly as there are a lot of hills and steps, so you'd need to carry the baby. One possibility is the walk up to Villa Jovis (the ruins of Tiberius's villa) which was mostly stroller friendly (I saw golf carts traveling almost the entire way up so a stroller would work).

It is a long way to go, both physically and financially, with not a lot that's easy to do with a baby.

Naples is a great city, and the cruise port is right in town, so perhaps the better choice in your situation would be to explore Naples. You can walk right off the ship into the historic center, easily return if the baby needs to rest, and easily go back out again.

There is a toy museum in Naples, but I'm not sure how appropriate that is for a baby since they can't play with the toys. However, here's the web site if you're interested: http://www.museodelgiocattolodinapoli.it/#5

In your situation I think I'd pick one or two things I really wanted to see, and then wing it from there based on the baby's mood. There are great parks in Naples and lovely waterfront walks to enjoy, as well as fabulous museums.

In my opinion, to recommend Naples over Capri is to do a disservice to all of Italy. That being said I would not bring a baby or a child or a teenager to Capri. I believe they would soon get bored and it is a long way back to the mainland.

Edited by goose30

In my opinion, to recommend Naples over Capri is to do a disservice to all of Italy. That being said I would not bring a baby or a child or a teenager to Capri. I believe they would soon get bored and it is a long way back to the mainland.

So what would you suggest then?

Personally, having spent two weeks in Naples in February, I found it very pleasant. Not gorgeous, but like any other big city. I did not see nor smell evidence of any garbage issues, and did not experience or see any crime or pickpocketing, not on the train, metro, nor even the apparently notorious bus that makes a circuit round the central area. Of course, there were also few tourists around at that time of year.

On the plus side, there are some lovely churches that can be visited, the world-class archaeological museum, some traditional streets including the one where Christmas nativity figures are made and of course many traditional pizzerias...!