P&O Adonia visit to Saaremaa Island May 2014

clivep

The following info should provide useful to those wishing to go ashore independently...

Contrary to the route map shown on the 'Ports and excursions' page of the online description, the ship sails to the North of the island and docks at the new cruise terminal in Kudema Bay on the Northern coast rather that sailing to the South of the island and docking at Kuressaare on the Southern coast.

P&O's port information guide is supposed to give info on the distance to the nearest main town/destination. For Saameraa Island it says 'Ship docks in port' and 'No Shuttle Service'. That's a bit useless as I usually find that most times when a ship docks it's actually in a port! Kuressaare is the only town on the island and is about 27 miles (40-45 minutes by bus) from the cruise port.

My research had shown that Thomsons and Fred Olsen normally offer transfers (at a cost) from the cruise port to the town and I was expecting that P&O would do the same.

The guide to Saaremaa Island on the TV said that shuttles could not be provided due to difficulties in getting coaches over from the mainland (involving 2 ferry crossings).

I asked about transfers at the shore excursion desk and the supervisor said that they were going to be offered but were still working out a price. A couple of days later (after they'd got many people to buy their main tour to Kuressaare) they sent out a flyer offering a 'Kuressaare On Your Own' tour for £25. Two times were offered, 9.30-3.00 and 11.00-4.30.

The cruise port is located in an isolated area with very little habitation apart from the cruise terminal itself.

It was a pleasant sunny day and with 3 busy days ahead we decided (along with plenty of others) to walk up the coast about 2km to a small fishing village. I can highly recommend this option.

The tourist information center in the cruise port was very helpful and plenty of passengers and crew were making use of the free wi-fi.

There were no taxis waiting for fares but the girl at the desk at the info center was making phone calls to order them if requested. She said it was about €100 return for a taxi for up to 7 people.

There's a local bus that goes to Kuressaare but it only runs once a day - leaving before the ship docks and returning after the ship has sailed.

Thank you for that information. We are on Adonia to the Baltic in September and Saaremaa Island is one of the places I was finding it difficult to discover much about. My husband has a trip booked but as I can only walk short distances, at the moment I haven't arranged anything. We had thought we would see if we could have lunch anywhere once my husband returns. Is there anywhere not too far from the port? I couldn't manage 2km I'm afraid. I'd be grateful for any information. This is our first time on Adonia and from what I have seen so far I'm sure we will enjoy it.

The other destination we are going to that I haven't been able to find much about is Bornholm - did you go there?

Annie

The area around the cruise port is mainly forest. There are a few houses on the way to the small fishing village but we did not encounter any shops or cafes on our walk.

There's a cafe at the cruise port but that was closed when we were there.

We visited Visby and Kalmar on the 2 days after Stockholm rather than having a sea day then Bornholm so I can't help you there.

I'm sure you'll enjoy Adonia, we certainly have. Our October 2013 Adonia Baltic cruise had been the best cruise we had been on which is why we booked again for the May/June 2014 Baltic one on her. It was just as good.:)

We visited Saaremaa Island on Adonia last July and booked the tour which incorporated a walking trip in Kuressaare including a visit to the castle, then a little bit of free time in the centre of town then a drive round the town and places of interest. From memory it cost about £34 (though I could be wrong!)

There was a little bit of walking on a very hot day though you could have asked to be dropped at one of the cafes and missed the castle.

The drive was mostly through forest and quite interesting, and the drive round the town was worth doing, but having said that if I ever cstopped there again the town centre itself would not tempt me back especially. There was a small market and a couple of cafes and that was about it. Castle worth seeing with the moat.

We were in Visby on the Sunday and it was closed!! Not much to see. I did enjoy Kalmar and wandering round the town

We visited Saaremaa Island on Adonia last July and booked the tour which incorporated a walking trip in Kuressaare including a visit to the castle, then a little bit of free time in the centre of town then a drive round the town and places of interest. From memory it cost about £34 (though I could be wrong!)

There was a little bit of walking on a very hot day though you could have asked to be dropped at one of the cafes and missed the castle.

The drive was mostly through forest and quite interesting, and the drive round the town was worth doing, but having said that if I ever cstopped there again the town centre itself would not tempt me back especially. There was a small market and a couple of cafes and that was about it. Castle worth seeing with the moat.

We were in Visby on the Sunday and it was closed!! Not much to see. I did enjoy Kalmar and wandering round the town

The walking tour of Kuressaare excursion was at least £40 this year, either £45 or £50 if I remember correctly.

Our visit to Visby was also on a Sunday. We visited the cathedral, botanic gardens, stopped for coffee and had a very enjoyable walk around the rest of town. This was probably our most enjoyable port of call.