Disappointed in Comedians

kat2009

With the watered down production shows that Carnival is now providing I have found that the comedy is my go to entertainment on the ship. Sure not every show that I have been to is top shelf but the vast majority were very good.

We have found playlist shows to be real bad so we also spend most of our evenings in comedy club and piano bar.

For me, there is a difference between using profanity because it's appropriate and using profanity just because you can. It's like the difference between George Carlin (who didn't shy away from adult subjects or profanity) and Kevin Hart (who throws out f-bombs and everything else regularly for no good reason). I love George Carlin and still find his work relevant and funny as heck. I can't sit through ten minutes of a Kevin Hart performance without wanting to chuck rocks at the TV because he uses profanity just to use it and it's not funny.

I can agree with that. I love shows like The Office, Parks and Recreation, 30 Rock, but it seems as if the comedians take it a little too crude and not enough true humor.

I've never really watched any of those shows, but then again my TV tastes run a bit more to science, sci-fi and historical dramas than comedies.

One of my favorite comedians, Ron White, is as foul mouthed as they come. But he's always got good material and I end up laughing so hard I've got big fat tears coming out of my eyes. Now *there* is somebody I'd go see if he were ever to grace lowly Carnival with his presence for a week. :D

Like many things, comedy is subjective, some comedians you'll like, some you won't. I was on the Dream in April, I think there were 4 different comedians, 3 were great and 1 was ok. But that doesn't mean the other couple hundred guests didn't love the 4th one. But I also don't expect that all comedians or jokes are going to be gut busting ROFLOL funny either. I have seen some comedians on multiple ships, and yes it would be nice to hear different material, but I watched a video of Ron White where he told some of the same jokes 15 years ago he's telling today. If it's one you don't like just leave.

I have to agree. We just got back from the Liberty and the comedians were okay. Happy Cole was the funniest, but the female we had was terrible. We went to both the family friendly and adult shows and I said to my husband that they were just as funny without all the profanity and sex jokes at the family friendly show. Some of them used the "f word" more than others and one got a little too raunchy for me. They do give you the disclaimer, though.

Our host was only around 22 years old and he even seemed embarrassed when he told a dirty joke or had to say, "get the f out." I guess the majority likes that and that's why Carnival is keeping that kind of comedy.

i was also on that sailing. i didn't care much for the female comedian, but the others were good. My wife and I especilly liked Jason Blanchard.

I'm just off the Dream a month ago and the Elation yesterday. One comedian on the Dream was "ok" but the other wasn't funny. On the Elation - one wasn't funny at all - nothing prepared just poked fun at a few members of the audience - and the other was funny occasionally. The Adult comedy was so raunchy that a lot of us walked out. Before some of you say I knew what I was getting, there are comedians that use adult subjects but not a liberal use of the "f" word. In my opinion, the George Lopez comedy isn't working.

We were on Elation 0n 5/22...Mutzie was hilarious, AND does not curse...you can find some of his routines on youtube...We didnt miss one of his shows...THe other comedian"Cowboy" was so-so. We only saw one show of his, and had o real desire to see any more..too hyper, not funny enough..

We were on Elation 0n 5/22...Mutzie was hilarious, AND does not curse...you can find some of his routines on youtube...We didnt miss one of his shows...THe other comedian"Cowboy" was so-so. We only saw one show of his, and had o real desire to see any more..too hyper, not funny enough..

If your on a cruise where cowboy performs multiple shows, he does a different routine each time. I thought his first two shows were great, 3rd and 4th not as good.

I have a question for all those offended by the "Adult" shows: Are you aware that there are multiple "family-friendly" shows each night? I ask this because we have cruised with my mother-in-law a few times, and she has no desire to hear any cursing or crude subject matter while attending the shows. She absolutely loved the family-friendly shows. I have attended both styles of shows, and both are enjoyable, but honestly, they do run a disclaimer at the beginning of the adult shows "If you are under 18 or easily offended, please get out now (or words to that effect)". Is it that you don't believe that you are easily offended, but discovered that you are? I am curious, because every time I see a thread like this, I ask myself "Did these people not read the Fun Times, or listen to the disclaimers?".

As far as the quality of comedians, they do vary, but are on par with or better than what you will find in your local major metropolitan comedy club. The other thing to keep in mind is that some comedians are more comfortable in an adult setting, and some in a family friendly setting, and also the comedians do multiple different shows. My own hypothesis is that the first show is the more standard style of comedy (the comedians' established set), and the later shows are more freestyle, with some experimenting and playing with the audience. The great thing about the 7 day cruises is, even if there is one comedian you do not enjoy, there are still 3 other comedians that you can see at some point that week. JMO

If your on a cruise where cowboy performs multiple shows, he does a different routine each time. I thought his first two shows were great, 3rd and 4th not as good.

It took a bit to warm up to the cowboy but overall thought he was pretty good.

Still wondering what they pay George Lopez for.

I have a question for all those offended by the "Adult" shows: Are you aware that there are multiple "family-friendly" shows each night? I ask this because we have cruised with my mother-in-law a few times, and she has no desire to hear any cursing or crude subject matter while attending the shows. She absolutely loved the family-friendly shows. I have attended both styles of shows, and both are enjoyable, but honestly, they do run a disclaimer at the beginning of the adult shows "If you are under 18 or easily offended, please get out now (or words to that effect)". Is it that you don't believe that you are easily offended, but discovered that you are? I am curious, because every time I see a thread like this, I ask myself "Did these people not read the Fun Times, or listen to the disclaimers?".

As far as the quality of comedians, they do vary, but are on par with or better than what you will find in your local major metropolitan comedy club. The other thing to keep in mind is that some comedians are more comfortable in an adult setting, and some in a family friendly setting, and also the comedians do multiple different shows. My own hypothesis is that the first show is the more standard style of comedy (the comedians' established set), and the later shows are more freestyle, with some experimenting and playing with the audience. The great thing about the 7 day cruises is, even if there is one comedian you do not enjoy, there are still 3 other comedians that you can see at some point that week. JMO

I've attended quite a few "adult" comedy shows and I've found most of them funny. I've practically peed myself watching people like Ron White or Whitney Cummings. I don't care about f-bombs or other adult references. But I don't think they are inherently hilarious on their own. They don't fix a lame joke. The freedom to use more realistic language and explore more adult topics can definitely enhance the performance and make the conversation and interaction with the audience more real.

I don't think anyone is complaining about the adult content of the shows. The base routine still needs to be good quality whether or not you're allowed to curse. The performer shouldn't go into an "adult" show with no material besides f-bombs and jokes about anatomy and sex and that's how it seemed sometimes on our cruise. If you're going to pick on the Asian audience members, have something besides "Oh, your Asian! That's so funny" with a few f-bombs sprinkled in.

I've attended quite a few "adult" comedy shows and I've found most of them funny. I've practically peed myself watching people like Ron White or Whitney Cummings. I don't care about f-bombs or other adult references. But I don't think they are inherently hilarious on their own. They don't fix a lame joke. The freedom to use more realistic language and explore more adult topics can definitely enhance the performance and make the conversation and interaction with the audience more real.

I don't think anyone is complaining about the adult content of the shows. The base routine still needs to be good quality whether or not you're allowed to curse. The performer shouldn't go into an "adult" show with no material besides f-bombs and jokes about anatomy and sex and that's how it seemed sometimes on our cruise. If you're going to pick on the Asian audience members, have something besides "Oh, your Asian! That's so funny" with a few f-bombs sprinkled in.

EXACTLY! We regularly attend adult comedy shows locally and expect the language and crude humor to be part of the show, but using foul language and just being crude is not being funny. We have had mixed experiences onboard during our 11 years of cruising. I do think that we prefer the "family friendly" versions as the comedians rely more on jokes and less on seeing how many f bombs they can fit in each and every sentence.

Next cruise: Carnival Breeze June 2014

Oddly enough I find myself agreeing with most of y'all here, and I don't even have an objection to profanity. I found the family friendly comedy shows genuinely funny (at times... hit or miss really), while the adult comedians made liberal use of profanity in order to mask a mediocre routine comprised of low hanging fruit and locker room humor.

I agree with your point. The use of the "F" word is sometimes used for its shock value, but also to generate a "hip" attitude to offset something that otherwise would not be that noticable.

I understand what you are saying - that just hasn't been my experience onboard with the comedy shows. Luckily, on the week long cruises, you get a choice of 4 different comedians, so if you don't like one, you have 3 others to see. I also understand that comedy is a very subjective art form. Case in point, since he has already been discussed, the Cowboy comedian, John Wesley Austin. My wife and I both really liked him, so much so that we watched two of his shows. However, I thought his first one was amazing and his second just good, and she thought the reverse. Overall, I do believe that the comedians on Carnival are very good and a great alternative to the showroom.

I understand what you are saying - that just hasn't been my experience onboard with the comedy shows. Luckily, on the week long cruises, you get a choice of 4 different comedians, so if you don't like one, you have 3 others to see. I also understand that comedy is a very subjective art form. Case in point, since he has already been discussed, the Cowboy comedian, John Wesley Austin. My wife and I both really liked him, so much so that we watched two of his shows. However, I thought his first one was amazing and his second just good, and she thought the reverse. Overall, I do believe that the comedians on Carnival are very good and a great alternative to the showroom.

I'm sure there is a lot of variation around the fleet and on different cruises. I don't even remember the guys' names at this point.

And the cowboy runs a very nice charity giving cowboy hats to little kids with cancer who have lost their hair.

I don't care for comedians who rely on profanity rather than material that is actually funny. I also think some of these guys figure that enough passengers have had enough to drink that they'll find anything funny.