Motivational Support Needed

Hello all! This is my first time cruising (NCL Getaway) and I had big plans when my fiancé and I got engaged to loose weight before the cruise. Well its three months til the cruise and I still have lots of weight to loose. Maybe some motivational support from fellow cruisers will help me loose a little within the next three months.

Any advice for me would be appreciated as well!

Three months until your cruise is about twleve weeks. If you lose a pound or two pounds a week that is twelve to twenty-four pounds, roughly one to two dress sizes. If you need to lose a lot more than that, it might require an effort that is too rigid and even bad for your health and well-being.

Is all the three month effort worth it for one dress size? Or can you resonably sustain the sacrifice in diet and exercize for twelve weeks in order to lose two dress sizes which is more noticeable? Remember strangers won't know how much you lost and probably won't care.

My own philosophy is to eat and exercize in a manner that is healthy and sustainable for life and not try to go to extremes to attain some ideal for a special event.

Whatever you decide to do, I wish you the best of luck with your plan and have a wonderful cruise regardless of what you weigh when you sail.

Three months until your cruise is about twleve weeks. If you lose a pound or two pounds a week that is twelve to twenty-four pounds, roughly one to two dress sizes. If you need to lose a lot more than that, it might require an effort that is too rigid and even bad for your health and well-being.

Is all the three month effort worth it for one dress size? Or can you resonably sustain the sacrifice in diet and exercize for twelve weeks in order to lose two dress sizes which is more noticeable? Remember strangers won't know how much you lost and probably won't care.

My own philosophy is to eat and exercize in a manner that is healthy and sustainable for life and not try to go to extremes to attain some ideal for a special event.

Whatever you decide to do, I wish you the best of luck with your plan and have a wonderful cruise regardless of what you weigh when you sail.

I completely agree with you. The best way is to eat balanced meals, and to lose weight in a healthy manner; no more than 2 pounds a week. Do not go on fad diets because they eliminate food groups.

Hi. Good to hear from a fellow cruiser in need of a few lost lbs. I'm about 160 days +\- out from my next cruise and I'm looking to lose around 40lbs. I'm back around the lose before you cruise boards for the first time in months. Im glad to be back.

Hey there!

I'm lucky; I don't cruise until January. I just started dieting with exercise about two weeks ago and lost six pounds. I am aware that most of it is water weight, but I could also use some help staying on track (....I had pizza for supper and hash for breakfast today, yikes!). As added motivation, I'm hoping to get married next October. The weight I lose for my cruise can continue to carry on through my wedding. I don't have a whole lot to lose, I would be happy with 15-20 lbs. If you ever need motivation, feel free to message me.

Hello all! This is my first time cruising (NCL Getaway) and I had big plans when my fiancé and I got engaged to loose weight before the cruise. Well its three months til the cruise and I still have lots of weight to loose. Maybe some motivational support from fellow cruisers will help me loose a little within the next three months.

Any advice for me would be appreciated as well!

People hate to hear this, but losing weight is easy. Be healthy and educated about your plan then be consistent and dedicated. Pretty simple. Eat ENOUGH food, don't ever starve yourself, your body needs calories, from protein, carbs (yes) and healthy fat (YES) sources. Look into a Paleo type nutrition plan, cut processed foods out as much as possible and eat 5 small meals a day. Combine that with 6 workouts a week, various intensity and methods (weight training is essential...you won't get "bulky", but rather toned and strong). 1 gallon of water a day to keep everything fluched and moving...12 weeks will get results. But for real, mirror and clothes HAVE to be your guide. NOT a number on a scale. You want to look better and be healthier right? A scale has nothing to do with either!!! Not good luck, earn the results you desire.

Hi,

I am cruising in 32 days and started trying to lose some weight in late February when I realized I weighed almost what I had when I delivered my daughter. (She is 23).

I went on weight watchers online and have lost 19 pounds. I am exercising four days a week and sticking to my point allowance. I don't intend to plug WW, just saying it has worked for me.

It isn't fun, but it is nice to wear some of my old things again and feel like I can go on my trip and enjoy myself without digging myself into an even deeper hole health-wise.

Good luck!!

A few days ago I was watching Extreme Weight Loss. It clicked that it was not going to be easy, and that I was going to have to bust my butt! I had put this weight on, and I was going to have to be the one to decided when and how to take it off!

The real eye opener came when I tried my wedding dress on. It zipped, but it was tight and not comfortable. If that didn't make me want to loose weight, I do not know what would want to!

I know that technically it is easy...diet and exercise, however, if your mind is not in the game, weight loss is a very hard thing to deal with. I think that many things have happened that have caused me to use food to hide stress and emotion, and I cannot do that to myself anymore. My health and well being are more important!

Thank you to all for your words of encouragement! We will keep each other on the right track!

I'd suggest doing a program that way you can track your workouts and talk with others about it. I hear nothing but great things about Beachbody workouts (my brother lives by them). They just came out with 21 Day Fix which focuses on portion control and has workouts that go along with it- http://www.beachbody.com/product/fitness_programs/21-day-fix-simple-fitness-eating.do It seems like a good option to jump into if you haven't been on any sort of exercise regimen. I'd also incorporate walking/jogging into your everyday as added cardio. It all depends on what types of workouts you like but once you find one just remember to stick with it and track your progress so you have something that keeps you accountable. It's not a race, so to take it day by day and you'll eventually get there :)

This week hasn't been quite as successful as last week. Still have a long way to go to my goal. I have been good about walking on the treadmill in the evening though.

I tried WW once but never got anywhere with it. It always seemed that my point allowance was too big because I could pretty much eat like normal. Oh well we'll see what today brings.

I spoke with my fiancé last night and we looked at the Beach Body programs.

My fiancé was an avid believer in Crossfit and Paleo when we first met. Of course, life happens and his schedule is super crazy so it is hard to get to the gym.

We decided to order the Insanity program DVDs and do them together when able. I know it is a bit extreme, but I think it is what we need in order to jump start ourselves.

I spoke with my fiancé last night and we looked at the Beach Body programs.

My fiancé was an avid believer in Crossfit and Paleo when we first met. Of course, life happens and his schedule is super crazy so it is hard to get to the gym.

We decided to order the Insanity program DVDs and do them together when able. I know it is a bit extreme, but I think it is what we need in order to jump start ourselves.

Stay motivated and you will get there sounds like you have a good support system with soon to be hubby

Keep up the good work and happy loosing :)

• 3 weeks later...

Snorkelman is correct! Walking is only ideal if you are obese or injured. You could try jogging or maybe some HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) 5-6 times a week. Make sure to incorporate weight training at least 3 times a week. Always remember Diet is 70% of weight loss. There are 3,500 calories in a pound. shoot for a weekly deficit of 3,500-7,000 for a 1-2 pound loss max. Anything over that and you will loosing muscle and other tissue along with the fat. Just some pointers that have helped me in my weightloss journey.

Don't wear anything comfortable...when that pair of jeans or shirt starts to get loose and comfortable go down another size. Nothing makes for better Motivation than being uncomfortable.