First time cruiser quick review

2red4u

We sailed on the jewel, may 31- June 7. My husband and I are in our 40s and the girls are 16 and 12(insert many eye-rolls and teen attitude). We were in 14012, two bedroom Haven. It was absolutely amazing and a new obsession for cruising has began! We utilized in suite breakfast for 2 port days.

In Ketchikan we booked a private fishing excursion and did very well. In Juneau we booked Harv and Marv whale watch and were not disappointed. But our absolute favorite was the helicopter, glacier walk in Skagway. Well worth it.

The girls singed up for kids club, but we had a unique mix of kids on board. There was a large youth group that occasionally participated and when they did they kept themselves. However my oldest hung out with another CC son and his friend and had a blast with them. My 12 year old was the oldest in her group and didn't really care for it so only went once. She hung with us most times or her sister when she wasn't with her friends. She was also quite happy to read on the balcony, alone.

We had the UDP for everyone but the oldest and ate in cagney's twice, moderno, le bistro, and the Italian place.

We also did the chocolate tour in Seattle. That was a very yummy experience and entertaining.

We are already planning on the pearl next year to Glacier Bay

We are booked on the Jewel in September. How was the ship itself? Did you eat at any of the for free dining places? If so were they good? How were the shows? I'm really looking forward to getting away from work and this horrid heat in Florida!!

We ate at the garden cafe for a few lunches and enjoyed it. We really liked the panini's. Also had dinner there, we thought it was also good. It does get crowded! We noticed large family groups holding many tables by the windows and booths then setting up cameras to film, however they didn't eat just drank coffee. We shared our table with others on a couple of occasions. We also ate in the MDR when we dined with an officer. Everything we ordered was excellent. We went to the barbecue by the pool, it's was very yummy! Also had O'shehanns for a snack and breakfast. Breakfast was good. The other was typical bar food. Our carpet and couch was new, at least that's what they told us, and said other areas had new carpet too. We really liked the ship and enjoyed window seat hopping and looking for whales. Drink in hand, of course.

It's with savour seattle. I think they occasionally have something on groupon also, for a discount. I wish we could have gone on some of their other tours as well. Go with an appitite. The "samples" are generous!

Thank you for the positive comments. Honestly we were anti cruise people. For the life of is couldn't figure out the draw of cruising. Well it took 20 years, of marriage, and now we see the light! Seriously planning our booking for next year, for alaska, with friends, but also for away for us to travel to other parts of the world, with my husband to feel "safe" for us. Yep getting past our red neck ways. Lol. <Waving stupidly to our new friends we met on this cruise, through cruise critic>

We sailed on the jewel, may 31- June 7. My husband and I are in our 40s and the girls are 16 and 12(insert many eye-rolls and teen attitude). We were in 14012, two bedroom Haven. It was absolutely amazing and a new obsession for cruising has began! We utilized in suite breakfast for 2 port days.

In Ketchikan we booked a private fishing excursion and did very well. In Juneau we booked Harv and Marv whale watch and were not disappointed. But our absolute favorite was the helicopter, glacier walk in Skagway. Well worth it.

The girls singed up for kids club, but we had a unique mix of kids on board. There was a large youth group that occasionally participated and when they did they kept themselves. However my oldest hung out with another CC son and his friend and had a blast with them. My 12 year old was the oldest in her group and didn't really care for it so only went once. She hung with us most times or her sister when she wasn't with her friends. She was also quite happy to read on the balcony, alone.

We had the UDP for everyone but the oldest and ate in cagney's twice, moderno, le bistro, and the Italian place.

We also did the chocolate tour in Seattle. That was a very yummy experience and entertaining.

We are already planning on the pearl next year to Glacier Bay

Glad you have decided cruising is for you. As for the kids programs: I can imagine a 12 year old would not be thrilled stuck with a bunch of younger kids; as for the older girl, I think every experience I have had and everyone I have spoken with, including my own grandkids, after age of about 15, what you daughter did is pretty standard. The kids just meet someone, close to their age and hang out. Our grandkids, when we did Alaska were so busy because the cruise is so port intensive they didn't really need the kids r. It sounds like your kids did just fine without it. Enjoy your new found obsession.