Fewer Excursion Options Nowadays?

Let me preface this by saying that I'm always afraid to post a topic for fear of being figuratively burned at the stake if the subject has been broached before. So please go easy on me if it has!

That being said, is it just me or has Royal Caribbean really cleaned house in terms of the excursions being offered nowadays? It seems that the last time I sailed Allure's Eastern itinerary, there were a wealth of options. Now, as I conduct research for next year's Oasis cruise (same Eastern itinerary) it seems that there are only a smaller handful to choose from….and many others that had once been offered are no longer available.

Can we chalk this up to non-renewed contracts or perhaps the new cruise planning format which was recently rolled out...or all of the above? Also, what are the odds that additional options will be added in the upcoming months?

We found the same thing for our next cruise. We are going with friends and they booked a tour and when we looked shortly after they booked, it was gone. I called Royal and asked why I wasn't finding more excursion options. I was told that they only post so many tours prior to sailing, and that there are many more to book when you board. Some tours they will close after they fill so many openings, and the rest of the openings are saved for booking on board.

Don't know if this info helps....

We found the same thing for our next cruise. We are going with friends and they booked a tour and when we looked shortly after they booked, it was gone. I called Royal and asked why I wasn't finding more excursion options. I was told that they only post so many tours prior to sailing, and that there are many more to book when you board. Some tours they will close after they fill so many openings, and the rest of the openings are saved for booking on board.

Don't know if this info helps....

Just curious if the "so many tours" means slots in each particular excursion or they only post a few of many excursions in general. I completely understand about slots filling up and no longer being available to purchase online, but it just seems that there are far fewer to choose from than there once was. Weird.

There aren't even any excursions listed that feature Orient Beach in St. Martin anymore. I mean, I know that I can take a cab there from the port, but in the past there were a good few or more even.

Edited by Vividraven

We just got off Allure on Sun (God I hate saying those words) on the Western itinerary & we had booked Nachi Cocum for the day but not thru Royal. When we first did Cozumel in 2008 we did Passion Island thru the ship by booking onboard Enchantment. Out of curiosity I checked the shore excursion sheet in our cabin to see what they were charging for it now & it was gone.

There aren't even any excursions listed that feature Orient Beach in St. Martin anymore. I mean, I know that I can take a cab there from the port, but in the past there were a good few or more even.

You are almost a year out. I would be my guess that more will open in the coming months. We are going on The Oasis in November and around the 6 month mark more excursions showed up for our cruise.

You are almost a year out. I would be my guess that more will open in the coming months. We are going on The Oasis in November and around the 6 month mark more excursions showed up for our cruise.

I sure hope that's the case. I just don't recall it being that way in the past…and I'm a habitual year-or-more-in-advance type of booker.

Agreeded. It's been my experience that they add more the closer you get to your sail date.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

In the past, I've noticed that a few more are added closer to sailing. But, as a whole, there are far fewer options....even if those few were added a bit later down the road, there would still be a much smaller selection than in the past.

Maybe people like to book when they get on the ship and were complaining that they were sold out before they boarded. Maybe that is why they hold back on some excursions. Some people don't know what they want to do in advance or don't like paying for an excursion so far ahead of the cruise. I usually book ahead because I don't like the long lines at the excursion desk. I did notice they have more excursions listed closer to the cruise.

Gwen :)

This is our first cruise with rci going on 31st August and all 4 of us said the same as you. With previous cruises we've struggled to narrow choices down. With rci not only are there very few choices but none appeal. On 7 stops we were hoping to do 6 rci excursions and we're only booking 1

This is our first cruise with rci going on 31st August and all 4 of us said the same as you. With previous cruises we've struggled to narrow choices down. With rci not only are there very few choices but none appeal. On 7 stops we were hoping to do 6 rci excursions and we're only booking 1

That's been my experience in the past as well -- So difficult to pick just one. Not the case this time around.

I have noticed fewer excursions, whether I look far out or closer to, and prices much higher. My last few cruises what has been even more annoying are the large number of cancelled excursions close to sailing, sometimes it says the vendor cancelled a tour, but usually there is no explanation. So I have paid 6 months ahead of time, now at the last minute I have to try and find a substitute that is still open or have no excursion in that port. Yes I do get a credit back to my credit card pretty quickly (or on my sea pass card if it is cancelled after we sail) but it is still very inconvenient to have to find something at the last minute. I really feel sorry for folks who booked an excursion that was their primary reason for going to a particular port and then have it cancelled. Sometimes you can find a private vendor in that port, but not always.

I went on the Oasis two years ago and going on Allure at the end of October on the same Eastern route. Two years ago when I was looking at excursions months in advance the PDF document I downloaded was well over 100 pages this time around it barely hit 77 and keeps dwindling every time I download. I've read on several other posts this is just how it's been lately. No reason why.

Question: If we book ahead of time but see something we like better when we board, will RC allow us to switch excursions? Is there a penalty for switching?

As long as you are switching more than 24 hours in advance, then no penalty.

I think that, as cruisers become more sophisticated about researching ports and tours in advance, the cruiselines have realized that seasoned travelers simply aren't willing to pay more for crowded one-size-fits-all ship excursions. We're more likely to read TripAdvisor or CC Ports of Call reviews and find highly-recommended private tour companies that will provide customized services for smaller groups at a lower price than the ship offers.

One reason for last-minute cancellations of excursions is because too few people signed up, and it isn't profitable for the company contracted by the ship to operate the tour unless they're assured a minimum number. After repeated cancellations, the cruiseline stops offering that excursion.

I think that, as cruisers become more sophisticated about researching ports and tours in advance, the cruiselines have realized that seasoned travelers simply aren't willing to pay more for crowded one-size-fits-all ship excursions. We're more likely to read TripAdvisor or CC Ports of Call reviews and find highly-recommended private tour companies that will provide customized services for smaller groups at a lower price than the ship offers.

One reason for last-minute cancellations of excursions is because too few people signed up, and it isn't profitable for the company contracted by the ship to operate the tour unless they're assured a minimum number. After repeated cancellations, the cruiseline stops offering that excursion.

I can see how that would be true. That being said, I've opted for a non-cruise sponsored excursion a couple of times but spent some time stressing that, if something happened, we wouldn't be guaranteed or owed anything by Royal. If there's something that's appealing, I don't mind paying the additional premium for peace of mind.

Another thing to take into consideration is that it's been scientifically proven that less options mean higher sales. Like MissBrightStar said, "With previous cruises we've struggled to narrow choices down."

I'd have to look up the report again, but ("the story is true, the products and amounts have been changed to protect my memory") a jelly manufacturer did a store sampling with 12 new flavors, and another with only 3 new jellies. With the 12, there were significantly lower sales because, the consumers reported, it was basically sensory overload and they perceived the time & energy necessary to determine the best of 12 was more than they had.

There are also an increasing number of excursion options through independent companies, and frequent cruisers start looking for variety. Your TA could help you if you want to go that route. Just balance the benefits against the protection of time & money by going through the ship. If going independent, I'd make sure the excursion end time is *at least* an hour before the All Aboard call.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5 using Forums mobile app