New San Francisco Cruise Terminal Photos

trbarton

This is "standard procedure" for Princess for embarkation lunch. They don't post it in the patter, they encourage you to go to the buffet, they need to talk to a supervisor because it is only for in transit passengers, but if you politely insist on it you will be served. Slightly annoying, yes, but as a "Cruise Critic Insider" like us, it's a nice perk! Been this way for years, well before BVE.

We've been on many Princess cruises (including 2 this year) and we have never been 'denied' access to the dining room for lunch on embarkation day. Yes, crew members you ask may know nothing about it and direct you to the Horizon Court, but if we walk up to the dining room we've never had a problem being seated. My surprise was when the previous poster reported that they were told that the dining room was for in transit passengers/BVE only. That is something that has never happened to me.

This is "standard procedure" for Princess for embarkation lunch. They don't post it in the patter, they encourage you to go to the buffet, they need to talk to a supervisor because it is only for in transit passengers, but if you politely insist on it you will be served. Slightly annoying, yes, but as a "Cruise Critic Insider" like us, it's a nice perk!
It's a "perk" that you can have without any annoyance whatsoever on every sea day of your cruise. No need to insist politely, no need to get a supervisor's approval, no need to confront them with a print-out of the FAQ and say *gotcha*, now serve me my leisurely lunch!

Of course the harder they try to discourage people from trying to have embarkation lunch in the MDR, the more certain CC members will insist on going there.

Thanks for the heads up Phalmer55. I have read a zillion times to look in the Patter for the embarkation dining room. This is the first time I did. :D :eek:

We weren't denied...just told it was only for intransit and BVE passengers. When I expressed disappointed, we were let in. There were only about 6 tables in use.

Sail away was picture perfect. Review and photos hopefully when we return.

Adiós, Denise

Glad to hear that boarding for the current cruises is happening earlier, that people are not having to stand in a line outside of the cruise terminal, and that it is still possible to get a served lunch in the MDR.

It sounds like they are really trying to do away with a served lunch in the MDR on boarding day. I wonder what they will do on cruises where there is no BVE experience? Will they just close the dining room? Our upcoming cruise is like that (No BVE), so I will report back on how that goes. It does seem like a bit of bait and switch, i.e. show people a served lunch for their BVE and let them think this is what is available when they board for their cruise, then not allow that on embarkation day.

What is BVE?

What is BVE?

Bon Voyage Experience. On selected sailings people who are not sailing on the cruise can come aboard, have a meal and a glass wine in the dining room, explore the ship, get a souvenir photograph. Cost is $39.

They are on board from about 11:00 AM to 3:00 PM. Great program. A secret with it is if you are going on a cruise with Princess then ask if they will have a BVE for that voyage, then try to get a friend to do the BVE, and you get to go on early with them. :)

Shortly after we welcome you onboard your spectacular Princess ship, you're invited to relax and dine at the Horizon Court or in one of the ship’s multiple dining rooms.

Open from 5 am to 11 pm (12 am on select itineraries), the Horizon Court offers a wide selection of buffet meals or snacks. A primary feature of Princess ships, the top-of-the-ship restaurant features floor-to-ceiling windows with stunning sea views as a backdrop.

Or join us in one of our main dining rooms for lunch served up by a staff -- from chefs to waiters -- dedicated to making your dining experience something special.

Together, Princess' unique combination of gracious dining staff, fine continental cuisine and new friends make every meal onboard a memorable occasion.

I was going to mention that I thought it was indicated somewhere that embarkation lunch was available in the dining room. I would suppose that the number of people available to work the dining room on turn around day is limited. Maybe that's why it's not highly publicized or even discouraged. Frankly I don't find the menu very exciting and prefer my leisurely lunch on embarkation day at the International Cafe.

Edited by bdjam

Since you're from San Francisco, I'm sure you're aware of the ongoing controversies about waterfront development. Seems to me that the new terminal was designed not only to be better for cruisers than 35, but also to be an asset to the City on the 80% of days no ship is in port.

San Francisco's waterfront is not Port Everglades, a huge expanse of nothing with room to build all sorts of niceties (though I never thought of it as particularly "nice"). But I'm sure that the amateur urban planners here can come up with a development scheme that squeezes protected short-term parking, protected outdoor passenger waiting-area seating for a thousand people, good traffic circulation, and a working terminal onto the confines of the pier, while improving traffic flow and pedestrian flow on the Embarcadero and preserving waterfront views and access.

Oh, and to be a 5-minute walk away from Fisherman's Wharf, max.

Yes, I believe San Francisco politics played a large part in the building of Pier 27.

Hopefully the issue of not being able to enter the building prior to 1:00 PM will be resolved, and people who arrive early will have a covered space (with seats) to wait until registration opens.

This seems to be a reasonable thing to provide, since you have places you can wait at airports and train stations if you are early for your flight or train. As was noted, people fly in for their cruise and need somewhere to wait with their luggage.

I think 1:00 will be the exception, rather than the rule. If Pier 35 is an indication, I believe entering the building will begin around 10:30/11.

You are assuming that the building was designed with lots of extra space to accomodate your request. I don't think it was. There appears to be a small lobby on ground level (with few seats) before you are on an escalator (or elevator) to the second level, where (I am assuming) like Pier 35, there is not enough room for everyone. Perhaps Aerobear can clue us in to specifics, since he works there. I don't think much consideration was given to passenger comfort in the design of the building, which leads me to question why it was built :rolleyes:.

It is my opinion that the terminal designers had never before seen a cruise terminal. I also think the plans were changed and the terminal funding was changed and they cut the size significantly.

After King Larry had the plans changed to meet his needs (which the port and local officials bent over backwards to accommodate his highness) the redo after his little shindig was cut again.

There is no waiting room on the ground level, just a lobby where your ID is checked (also restrooms) after heading up the escalator or elevator, you are immediately entered into the lines for security. Once cleared through Security and Alcohol inspection, you enter the check-in area, fill out the health forms and get in the proper lines for check-in (Preferred, Suites, Elite, platinum) or regular check-in.

After getting your keycard you will be directed to different seating/waiting areas. Preferred, regular, ADA. Boarding usually begins about 11:45 or 12:00. Elites/suites first, then Preferred, then regular boarding in separate groups (designated by numbers given out as you exit the check-in lines.

As to the signs about the Terminal opening at 1:00pm, they are required by Princess. They put the information on the boarding passes which many people just ignore and then throw a hissy fit when they can't get into the terminal. We will open the terminal when the Captain says it is clear to start check-in and not before. Usually this is about 11:30 or so and before the 1:00pm as the sign states, BUT it can be as late as that if there are problems with the disembarkation, especially since the design of the Baggage hall was about 2/3 the size needed. You may see a large tent one of these days to hold overflow luggage.

You are absolutely right about no thought of passenger comfort. The actual check-in hall is really really nice. That is it. On super sunny or rainy days it is going to be chaos. Waiting to board the airport buses will not be pleasant. We have to work outside in the rain all morning until all the airport buses have been dispatched, passengers will be put on the buses as soon as possible, but be prepared to get wet.

This will be the same for ANY cruise line that uses the pier, so don't blame Princess.

You will also have to contend with the unprofessional highly paid extortionists known as the ILWU porters. They are out of control, so beware of that.

Anything else, just ask

Edited by aaerobear

bon voyage experience

you get on board, have a little tour and a little lunchie, then you get off--no actual cruising takes place.

Thanks Suzann & Smokeyham.

I went to a travel show last night and the Princess rep confirmed that they still have the BVE. She didn't have a list of availibility, but said to contact TA or Princess.

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack the thread. This unique benefit from Princess probably needs a sticky. Then again it may be better as a best kept secret.

...You are absolutely right about no thought of passenger comfort. The actual check-in hall is really really nice. That is it. On super sunny or rainy days it is going to be chaos. Waiting to board the airport buses will not be pleasant. We have to work outside in the rain all morning until all the airport buses have been dispatched, passengers will be put on the buses as soon as possible, but be prepared to get wet...

Thanks much for such a clear description of what to expect.

I do have a question. Is there room at the outside entrance to the terminal to set up either permanent or temporary awnings to protect pax and staff from sun or rain? I imagine any actual structural addition to the building to accomplish this would take years of planning and apporval these days, even if the money were there. But they might be able to fast track something like awnings, if they are not considered structural.

Edited by Ryndam2002

It is my opinion that the terminal designers had never before seen a cruise terminal. I also think the plans were changed and the terminal funding was changed and they cut the size significantly.

After King Larry had the plans changed to meet his needs (which the port and local officials bent over backwards to accommodate his highness) the redo after his little shindig was cut again.

I was going to ask who King Larry was, but I just figured out...Ellison! I know there were some changes made to suit the Cup.

Is the developer doing any follow up on how the building is functioning as a cruise terminal? I mean it would seem it would be fairly easy for a canopy to be attached to the front of the building for shade and shelter from rain. And while the building probably can't undergo any big changes inside, perhaps luggage halls could be made larger with an extension at the end of the building.

But again there has to be some ongoing evaluation of the facility and how it works before any changes would be made.

I always did (and still do ) love Pier 35 and thought that some shoring up and rebuilding would suit it fine. But everyone wanted a new pier...I guess you should be careful what you ask for.

Disembarking on 10/1 from the Star Princess was also pretty bad. The terminal is just to small to hold all the luggage and the passengers trying to get to them. Very frustrating. I hope they can figure out a better way because it was really awful.

I was going to ask who King Larry was, but I just figured out...Ellison! I know there were some changes made to suit the Cup.

Is the developer doing any follow up on how the building is functioning as a cruise terminal? I mean it would seem it would be fairly easy for a canopy to be attached to the front of the building for shade and shelter from rain. And while the building probably can't undergo any big changes inside, perhaps luggage halls could be made larger with an extension at the end of the building.

But again there has to be some ongoing evaluation of the facility and how it works before any changes would be made.

I always did (and still do ) love Pier 35 and thought that some shoring up and rebuilding would suit it fine. But everyone wanted a new pier...I guess you should be careful what you ask for.

There is a very high over hang, we were shaded as we stood in line.

If you are interested in writing a letter to the director in charge of the Cruise Terminal, here is the address.

Port of San Francisco

ATTN. Ms. Monique Moyer, Executive Director

Pier 1, The Embarcadero

San Francisco, CA 94111

To be effective I suggest you focus your concerns on one or two significant issues, such as the lack of anywhere for embarking passengers to wait prior to check in, or issues with the luggage area.

The more letters the director receives the more ammunition she has to go back and ask for additional funding or changes to the facility. As others have noted, the short term changes may just be the erection of shade/rain shelters to protect passengers.

qusa3agu.jpg

qypavu9y.jpg

You can see the overhang on the left side of the building. That is where we were lined up.

Thanks for the pictures - maybe that park area could include some benches and overhangs for waiting passengers...although it might not be effective in the winter, at least it would be a shady spot to sit.

Does your family confirm removal of Glacier Bay is a direct result of the delayed SF departure? Reason I ask is because Juneau and Skagway are scheduled stops (Wed/Thur) before Glacier Bay on Friday. It's hard to imagine a 5-6 hour late sail from SF on Sunday would affect Glacier Bay on Friday. Are their Juneau and Skagway stops affected or altered in any ways?

The itinerary was changed due to the delay. Juneau was supposed to be our first port with arrival around 1:00pm. Sailing 5 hrs late made that impossible. So they made Ketchikan our first port instead. And substituted Tracy Arm for Glacier Bay though we were not able to get into Tracy arm and ended up at Endicott arm.

It is true there is an overhang, but with 2600+ passengers disembarking and waiting for pick-up etc, there is no extra room. The line that forms to enter the terminal would, at the most, be able to have 50-75 people under it. Not a good number when 100's are in line.

There is talk of putting a "tent" at the end of the baggage area to accommodate more luggage, but have heard of no plans to actually build something

In the picture you see the large evergreen in the center? Everything to the left of it is where disembarking passengers are waiting, the sidewalk is, maybe 12 feet wide. Now add to that, porters carts, a few hundred people (most of whom want to wait at the very beginning of the line and refuse to move down further) and you have chaos. The exit from customs gets blocked and passengers refuse to move when asked by the directional people working there. Many people try to stand directly in front of the exit "I am waiting for the rest of my party" hence making it difficult for others and porters to get out and through the crowd.

There is no solution to the problem YET, but if everyone and I mean EVERYONE writes to the port (and i write to the Chronicle and the Mayor) something will get done.

We, the workers get laughed at when we complain, yelled at by the passengers, and harassed by the ILWU porters, so if you see new faces occasionally it is because people are leaving a job they once loved to do. I do not plan to leave as I worked in the airline industry for 40+ years and am used to being yelled at for something i didn't cause or couldn't control.

So, keep those letters coming and keep sailing out of San Francisco and we might just get it working.

So sorry for the rant, just had to get it off my chest, falling off the soapbox now from exhaustion.

Happy Sails

Bon Voyage Experience. On selected sailings people who are not sailing on the cruise can come aboard, have a meal and a glass wine in the dining room, explore the ship, get a souvenir photograph. Cost is $39.

They are on board from about 11:00 AM to 3:00 PM. Great program. A secret with it is if you are going on a cruise with Princess then ask if they will have a BVE for that voyage, then try to get a friend to do the BVE, and you get to go on early with them. :)

FYI - with Fleet Week in SF Oct 11 we tried to book the BVE to allow early

boarding - Our T/A was told it was NOT available to booked passengers.

We tried calling Princess directly - we were told the same thing - we would

NOT be allowed to stay on board

I HAVE seen it work otherwise for folks on other sailings - not sure if this is

a new policy, or if you need to bring a non-cruiser along with you to book

the package.

It will be interesting to see how boarding goes on Oct 11 - We have our hopes

up based on the comment about boarding on the 1st. But not looking forward

to a mess at disembarkation.

They may want to rethink the set up for the Customs check also. We were on the Grand Princess that made a port visit to San Francisco on Sept.25th. Due to a storm between Victoria and San Francisco we did not arrive until noon so everyone with a morning excursion booked was out of luck. So to were a lot of people with afternoon excursions as it took hours to get through Customs. Some passengers I talked to were not able to get off the ship and out of the terminal until 4 pm.

This took much longer than any other port terminal I have passed through and this was just a port visit with no disembarkation/embarkation going on.

Let me get this straight.

The new modern advanced cruise ship terminal accomodates ONE cruise ship!

According to their self publicity:

"When completed, the 1,358-foot berth will be able to accommodate the largest visiting cruise ships. It is designed to handle 2,600 passengers routinely, and up to 4,000 in a pinch. Pier 35 will become the back-up berth when two ships are in the city at the same time"

What kind of advanced forward thinking planning is this? The very old Pier 35 can at least currently accomodate TWO cruise ships. Plans to accomodate the largest ships and targeting for 2600 passengers!?!? Another disconnect.

This is typical of the decision making of the elected rulers of San Francisco.

Very sad.

This is typical of the decision making of the elected rulers of San Francisco.

Very sad.

And you're blaming this on the elected government of San Francisco why again?

I live here, was around for run-up to the America's Cup debacle, and never recall the capacity of the terminal being a public policy issue (unlike the waterfront stadium and Washington Street development). But I'm sure you know something that I don't, and it's not just a knee-jerk reaction against them danged San Francisco liberals.

Shepp,

Very true, i am sure the "elected" officials of SF did not have much of a hand in developing or building the new terminal, all blame goes to the Port of San Francisco and the idiots that run it. I think (not sure) that the original plan called for two berths, but was scrapped due to budget cuts. Thinking being that pier 35 was to be improved and used as the secondary cruise ship docking area.

The park is lovely, but three times the size needed and could easily accommodate an extension for waiting passengers. Even temporary canopies of the type they have in LA for bus loading.

We, the liberals in San Francisco, are pretty sick of being the target for every outoftowner conservative that finds something wrong with our city. Come, visit, enjoy, sail, but leave the political criticism at home.

Nukesubsailor, you are mistaken The last passengers cleared Customs about 3pm, after the ship arrived at noon and debark starting about 12:45, that is the normal time it takes to clear a ship of 2600+ passengers. (2hours and 15 minutes) I was working in the customs area and the CBP personnel clocked out by 3:15 after finishing their paperwork. They would have finished earlier but there were 5 passengers who would not respond to calls for them to disembark and they could not close off customs till EVERYONE had cleared and left the ship. I do have a question for you though. Did the ship not have US pre-clearance in Vancouver? Did you not stop in Astoria?