Princess desserts

hoppelk

My favourite is cherries jubiliee. Years ago they used to have "swans chantilly". It is a puff pastry in the shape of a swan with cream inside. Wonderful. I don't think they make this anymore. Anyone remember this.

I had the swans chantilly last September on the Golden - delicious! :)

. Years ago they used to have "swans chantilly". It is a puff pastry in the shape of a swan with cream inside. Wonderful. I don't think they make this anymore. Anyone remember this.

I had the chantilly swans on the Golden last July. Not only is it a great dessert, I believe it is also on the lowfat menu.

I also vote for the souffles and the Love Boat dream

"..and going into the third turn we have Souffle in the lead by a length with Cheesecake on the inside making a bid and Love Boat Dream running hard on the outside followed by Creme Brulee and Cherries Jubilee; falling far behind are Non-fat Imitation Unsweetened Tofu Yogurt and Just Coffee Please." :D

I am SO luving this thread! :)

All of you are making me very hungry, I think I'll head down to the lakefront for an ice cream cone! :-)

I like the souffle's too, and is it creme brulet, very, very good! I'm a chocoholic so if I can't find something I'm always up for the Love Boat Dream cake!

I've seen posts about the deserts being bland and boring, which amazes me as they seem great! Can't wait for my 21 days onboard the Sea Princess to get here!

Susie

One night they always have a dark chocolate and white chocolate mousse pair. I can't remember the official name for it but I always order it. It is very rich so I usually can't finish it. I also add my vote to the previous votes for the ice creams and sherberts. They have an interesting variety and they are wonderful.

On the Star, Transatlantic cruise last October I was delighted with the sugar free desserts. They where available at lunch in the restaurants but I had to request them in the buffet.

Reading this thread it sounds like most passengers disembark "ship-shaped" rather than "ship-shape!"

Enjoy your cruises while you can It is IMHO the best way to spend a vacation.

Thank you for all the dessert suggestions. We have made a list and are determined to try them all in the 10 days oin the Coral. Ice cream along with these desserts is a great suggestion, also.

Just returned from the Regal and they made cherries jubilee and banana fosters in the dining room, both great. I agree all the souffles are excellent. Unfortunately the love boat dream was only served on the final night. It's my favorite. They also had an awesome dessert table in the buffett area at lunch a few days with too many great desserts to mention.

One night they always have a dark chocolate and white chocolate mousse pair.

That is SO good!!!! Oh, so good! Yumyumyum!

I also add my vote to the previous votes for the ice creams and sherberts.

Also agree. Definitely an unusual selection of ice creams! They had nutella ice cream on our last trip, which I hadn't seen before. The creamy quality of the ice creams is very consistently good, and the level of flavor and sweetness of the fruit sorbets is perfect.

I guess it depends on who the pastry chef is, but on our August 2004 sailing aboard the Sapphire, the souffle was inedible. We tried it on several nights (based on the ravings of others on cruise critic) and found each time that they were undercooked and not good at all. Maybe just a bad week.

I heard except at dinner or on the buffet line, Princess charges for Ice Cream.. Anyone else know about this? We are going next June on the Island and my teenage sons would normally have icecream 3 or 4 times a day on a cruise ( not to mention dad would too!!) Can you buy one of those cards for ice cream like you do soda?

Florida Tourist,

If you want ice cream between meals, or other than late afternoon, you do have to purchase it at the ice cream stand outside of the Horizon Court. The cones and cups are priced as an upscale ice cram store would be. I think it was about $ 3.00 the one time we had a cone on the Island. You can order ice cream with lunch or dinner in the dining room at no extra charge, and on our Island cruise to Hawaii, there was ice cream in the Horizon Court from about 3 oclock on, through the evening dinner hours. It was delicious, and two flavors at a time were presented, some very interesting, and some familiar...........all good! :) No ice cream cards..........that's an interesting idea though.

Have a nice cruise!

For chocolate cake lovers, there's the Sacher torte which on my last cruise was moist and very flavourful, better than the original at the Sacher Hotel in Vienna.

There"s also the Opera Cake which is to die for!

As someone else mentioned, it will depend on the ship and the pastry chef. The souffles were fair to good, nothing special. There were two desserts that did stand out:

The Baked Alaska - excellent with the chocolate sauce

The Triamisu in Sabatini's - The entree (veal chop) and tiramisu were very good. The balance of the food was just OK.

The very worst Princess desserts were the cheap sheet style cake I found on the Sapphire Princess buffet last summer. I hope this has changed!

I always get the cheescake in the dining room as it is excellent. Also agree with the souffles everyone describes.

One of the legendary tales of my cruising experiences had to do with getting strawberry ice cream on one of the inaugural cruises of the Brilliance of the Sea (another excellent ship ). In the second week of the cruise, I asked for strawberry ice cream. Seems there had been a run on this, and the ship had none left. I really didn't care and changed my order to vanilla.

But, obviously this must have embarrased someone on the dining/kitchen crew, as for the remainder of the trip everyone from the chef to the matre' di apologized to me for not having strawberry ice cream. Finally, on the very last night of the cruise, the chef came to my table, asked for me, and made a big deal of presenting me with a bowl of strawberry ice cream. Seems they had found an extra tub when doing their inventory.

I happen to think all desserts on the cruises are usually very appealing, with the exception of the cheap sheet cakes found last summer on the buffet line.

I heard except at dinner or on the buffet line, Princess charges for Ice Cream.. Anyone else know about this? We are going next June on the Island and my teenage sons would normally have icecream 3 or 4 times a day on a cruise ( not to mention dad would too!!)

If I recall correctly, the Princess Grand had free ice cream offered somewhere near the Horizon Court buffet but only at a certian tiem of day - I think between 4 and 6 PM? perhaps someone else can confirm this and also advise if they also do this on the CB.

I thought the cheesecake was good and will be sure to try the creme brulee on my next cruise. But I'm in hte camp of "the souffles aren't so great". If I had never had a great chocolate souffle I'd probably love the ones they serve on the Grand but they just aren't chocolately enough and don't have the same texture as the really good ones I've had in several restaurants (admittedly - those were $10 - $12 desserts made in limited quanitities so perhaps it's just not apples to apples).

Thank you for all the dessert suggestions. We have made a list and are determined to try them all in the 10 days oin the Coral. Ice cream along with these desserts is a great suggestion, also.

Now, there you go!!! We did that on the Star Princess in 1999. Our waiter called them emergency desserts! We got everything each night and just kept passing the plates around! YUM!!! The Raspbery creme brulee is to die for - that one I didn't share!!! :D

Gayle

On the Island Princess in April we did not care for the desserts. They all looked much better than they tasted. Most things had very little flavor in our opinion. We ended up with cheesecake most nights. The cruise was great however, and we would not let the desserts hurt our cruise. It was our first time on Princess.

Archived