formal nights on Grand RT Hawaii--When?

lrm

We would like to know which nights have previously been formal attire nights on the Grand Princess 15 day RT Hawaii? We want to celebrate our anniversary on one of those nights.

You might want to say what sailing date you're going. If there's holidays involved, sometimes one of the three formal nights will be moved to that day (we've been on three two-week Hawaiian cruises during the holidays, and one of the formal nights has been on Christmas Eve or Christmas and another on New Years Eve on all of those cruises).

You can't prebook the specialty restaurants, unless that's changed in the last couple of years, before your cruise. But when you get on board, you'll be able to go to your cabin immediately, drop off your carry ons, and then go to Sabatini's (if that's where you want to celebrate) and book your dinner. Usually there's not a problem booking a dinner there for the night you want, unless there's many other couples wanting to celebrate the same night and get there before you.

We are not going during any holidays (March 2015)--and do not want to eat in the specialty restaurants.

I thought maybe someone who has been on the Grand recently could tell me when the formal nights were.

The Grand has been sailing in Alaska recently, not Hawaii.

You might do a search here to see if someone posted any Lives or reviews from their Hawaii cruise over the winter (but I'm not sure she sailed the same routing -- didn't she do the SFO departures in 2013-14, not LA as she will this season?). Otherwise, you'll just have to wait until the season starts again in the fall to ask someone . . . Or just wait until you're on board. The first-day Patter (daily newsletter) will list the formal night schedule for the cruise. Since you can't book any dining in advance anyway, there's really no need to know beforehand.

When we sailed on the Grand in November/December of 2013, the formal nights were the first full sea day (second night of the cruise), the night before we reached the islands, and the first full sea day after we left the islands.

Edited by always_cruisin

Did Grand out of San Francisco on Feb. 18, 2014. First Formal Night was on the Day 3, the next was after Hilo on Day 10 and the last was on Day 13, the day before Ensenada. Happy Anniversary.....

We are not going during any holidays (March 2015)--and do not want to eat in the specialty restaurants.

I thought maybe someone who has been on the Grand recently could tell me when the formal nights were.

If your sailing is RT LA, your first formal night might be the second full day at sea. That's how it was in 2014 on the Star.

On the return, they might be (as others have said) the first full day at sea after leaving the islands, and the last full day at sea, the day before arriving in Ensenada.

Enjoy!

Aloha :)

No guarantee but formal nights are usually on sea days. With the 15 day Hawaii it is impossible to say. Lots of sea days.

Formal nights depend on the itinerary and the Captain. The Captain decides which nights will be formal so even if it's the same ship but with a different Captain, the formal nights might be different.

You'll know exactly which nights are formal when you board as they will be listed in the "Welcome Aboard" Patter.

As you can see, it really depends on when the staff (the captain or the food and beverage manager or similar position) and that decision will be based on itinerary, sea days, (and as I said, if applicable, holidays) and maybe other factors. What the formal nights on the Grand was on a March 2014 sailing may or may not be the same as next March. And if you want to celebrate your anniversary in the MDR on a formal night, it will be one of three possible nights...and you will find out on the first day of your cruise by looking at the Patter. If you want to have an ultimate balcony dining experience, you can book that for whatever night when you board.