Tipping Question - AGAIN!!

We reserved a cruise 7 months in advance and were told that since early and late dining were not available, we would have to take MTD and therefore HAVE to pre-pay the gratuities. I told the TA to put us on a waitlist for early dining, but was told we still had to pre-pay. What a coincidence...a few months later, our waitlist status was lifted.

We have always tipped at least the minimum amount suggested, but I still didn't appreciate having to pre-pay. I would rather use my OBC for the gratuities. Have others experienced this with RCCL or other cruise lines?

If you've cleared the waitlist, why would you still have to pre-pay? If you are not on MTD you do not have to pre-pay & can use your OBC for the daily service charges, no problem...

I just read on here a post about having the tips removed and paying at the end may cause not so great of service by the steward. Really??? Has anyone actually experienced that? I would feel to be the opposite honestly. Do a great job and get a wonderful tip at the end. If they do a not so great job then I would think at that point people would try to stiff them. Im wondering if anyone has actually experienced this??

I just read on here a post about having the tips removed and paying at the end may cause not so great of service by the steward. Really??? Has anyone actually experienced that? I would feel to be the opposite honestly. Do a great job and get a wonderful tip at the end. If they do a not so great job then I would think at that point people would try to stiff them. Im wondering if anyone has actually experienced this??

You really seem fixated on this issue. You started a whole new thread to which I just responded AND have posted the question twice here. Just pay the recommended amount upfront either before you sail or onboard And don't worry about it further. If you find the staff goes over and above - which they tend to do for little ones - then give extra cash at the end - problems solved. Personally, I feel kids should pay more since they tend to make much bigger messes than most adults. It's all part of the cost of cruising, so just consider it as such - the staff considers it part of their paycheck.

You really seem fixated on this issue. You started a whole new thread to which I just responded AND have posted the question twice here. Just pay the recommended amount upfront either before you sail or onboard And don't worry about it further. If you find the staff goes over and above - which they tend to do for little ones - then give extra cash at the end - problems solved. Personally, I feel kids should pay more since they tend to make much bigger messes than most adults. It's all part of the cost of cruising, so just consider it as such - the staff considers it part of their paycheck.

I accidently posted the question on here when I was reading others responses. I did not mean to do that....sorry. Not even sure how I did it cause as you can see, I even put a title on the one on this thread. I tried to delete but could not figure out how. I am not fixated on it. I saw on a previous thread about the steward thing so it got me curious and I went to look back on my old thread I had started to see what people said again. I plan on taking off auto gratuities and paying at the end (no Im not trying to stiff anyone. That is just how I want to do it) so I wanted some opinions from people that do take off the auto gratuities is all.

On one ship, the waiter had commented how all his passengers had pre-paid the auto gratuity. I think he was calmer, as he knew he would be paid. No tension of "will they stiff me???"

Early on this process, I did "buck the system", and do it my way. Now, it is just the way it is done. Some cruise lines fight to keep them "On" your account, unless you have specific complaints.

I don't want anyone to worry they will work for free for me, and I will run off the ship. Just auto tip and add a little extra if you feel service was exceptional!