Train From NY Penn Station To Baltimore Airport

Dave4120

Try the Hampton Glen Burnie on Richie highway..

IIRC another CCer said they have a package....and they are not too far from BWI...pretty sure they have shuttles to pier and airport...

Sent from my Galaxy S3, somewhere in the galaxy

I might have glanced at that Hampton. I will look again and see what it says. I stand corrected when I said the Holiday Inn Express was $164 and The Best Western Plus was $135.

The Holiday Inn Express is actually $189. Seems a bit high for any HI Express whether it includes cruise shuttle or not... Don't you think?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

That Hampton Inn on their website shows FREE shuttle within 5 miles of hotel and FREE shuttle from airport and Amtrak near airport to,hotel and back.

It does not show or mention anything, or, any packages that include shuttle service to the cruise port... Unless they have it, but haven't listed it. I suppose a phone call would do the trick to find out.

Yes...that Hampton in Glen Burnie has a cruise package.

Best Western Plus.....Elkridge.......$135

Hampton Inn...Glen Burnie............$149

Holiday Inn Express...Hanover.......$189

Only Hampton does not have an in room refrigerator.

WOW...tough decision...might have to roll the dice. Might come down to the area and what restaurants are close to each hotel if the quality of the hotel and rooms are almost equal.

not a BW fan..ever.

The HIE rate is high..may be due to the package...

Another CCer is staying at the Hampton Inn.....there are a few stores and places to eat from what I saw on google maps...and I think a target and some other things as well.

There is not as much right by the HIE, but if the shuttle would go to Arundel Mills...you have more options...

I would rank them Hampton Arundel...Hampton Glen Burnie...HIE...and BW...if rates were all say within 10-20 bucks or so....

Sent from my Galaxy S3, somewhere in the galaxy

Not to confuse you anymore but have you checked on the Wingate near BWI? I remember them having cruise packages there, as I'm acquainted with the former Sales Manager at that property. It's very clean and they also include free breakfast. That's another consideration and probably explains the difference in pricing, along with geography.

I do not recommend going all the way East to Glen Burnie when you have those other options. It isn't the nicest area but not the worst. However, the joke with locals is no one goes there unless you have to. Stay in BWI zone, Hanover or Elkridge for a much better experience. Trust me. I've lived in this area for 8years.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I will check out the Wingate....never thought about them.

I apologize to everyone for making a huge project over a lousy hotel room for the night.

We won't even arrive to any hotel until about 5:30-PM which only gives us time to check in, eat dinner, and pretty much get to sleep.

I don't think we will do any shopping, so, I just pick a hotel and so be it. Lol

Anyway, will look at the Wingate.

Maybe this is why some people just train in to Penn Station in Baltimore, get a hotel around the inner harbor, then just can it from train station to hotel, and from hotel to cruise port and back to train station, even though it might cost a bit more.

Maybe that way is easier and not as stressful????

I believe the motivation to stay in a hotel outside of the city is usually cost per night is lower and shuttle to port is included at certain hotels. Also, because there are tons of airport hotels why should anybody leave that area if they are flying in unless they also want to sightsee. If you are good with navigating cities, taking cabs and want to see beautiful downtown Baltimore at night, then pay a little extra and stay near the Inner Harbor. Many great restaurants to choose from. The ride the next morning to the port will be quick. Key Highway is rarely backed up, even during morning rush hour.

It does seem a little silly to come out to the suburbs unless you just want a quiet, relaxing night with a nice dinner.

However, we all have been in situations where waiting on that FREE shuttle takes longer than expected. Happened to me in Ft. Lauderdale last year and we waited over an hour after flying all morning. I needed to stay on a schedule and ended up wasting $ on prepaid water taxi tix when we only rode on it for less than 30 minutes because they closed early. Point is, be prepared for the unexpected if you take the shuttle from the airport/train station to the hotel. Port shuttle shouldn't be an issue.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Obviously, several choices for each couples needs and personality.

I do know that we do not want to fly. We just came back from New York City to Syracuse, NY and loved the train. Less hassle.

At least we have the option of taking the Amtrak to Baltimore Penn Station or Airport, depending upon where we want to stay, and how we want to handle hotel and cruise port transportation.

All the research is kind if exciting. Probably a big letdown once I finalize all this.

Sometimes I wonder about hotel desk people. Now the Hampton BWI Airport Hotel just called me back and said they made a mistake and since they share there shuttle with 4 other hotels, they do not provide any cruise port shuttle service, nor offer any cruise and park packages.

This must be a change since I stayed there in March. I'm surprised at this as they have multiple shuttle vans that they used in March. One van ran between the hotel and the airport terminal and Amtrak station. The other was used to shuttle folks to places within a short distance of the hotel (restaurants and such) and on cruise departure day this second van was usd to transport people to the cruise terminal.

I apologize that the info I gave has turned out to be incorrect. As Meg has mentioned there are other Hampton Inns in the Arunndel Mills area and Glen Burnie. Good luck in your continuing search. If I feel I can be of help I'll chime in or feel free to ask other questions of me. :)

Hello...you did not supply incorrect information. I will call again and I bet they tell me there is a shuttle. It's somewhat comical that different employees either have a grasp on all hotel information, or, they don't.

What baffles me is that hotel employees don't actually 1) know what is offered and 2) can't read the property's website....

Of course, if the site is wrong, then management needs to get it fixed...ugh.

The Wingate was decent when I stayed there, though I haven't been there recently.......that may be a good choice...

What baffles me is that hotel employees don't actually 1) know what is offered and 2) can't read the property's website....

Of course, if the site is wrong, then management needs to get it fixed...ugh.

The Wingate was decent when I stayed there, though I haven't been there recently.......that may be a good choice...

And it's even worse when some of us wind up knowing more about what is offered than the employee's......:confused:

When I checked the Wingate last night, it showed on the website, a Cruise and Park package. When I looked earlier this morning, it wasn't on the website anymore. I then emailed the hotel to ask about it, and the very nice manager told me they did indeed have it for $149,but I should call the hotel to book it over the phone.

When I checked the Wingate last night, it showed on the website, a Cruise and Park package. When I looked earlier this morning, it wasn't on the website anymore. I then emailed the hotel to ask about it, and the very nice manager told me they did indeed have it for $149,but I should call the hotel to book it over the phone.

That is one thing I did find to be unique when I was looking for my hotel back in March. These park and cruise packages were not on the hotel website's. I noticed that you could only get info and pricing on these packages by calling the hotel directly and making a reservation.

My cousin stayed at the Hampton Inn on Elkridge landing Road and used the shuttle from the port. The hotel has interior rooms(there are some Hamptons that have outside rooms) The hotel will also drive you over to BWI Rail station. The station, however, does not have checked luggage available. or redcaps.

We just took Amtrak from Newark in April to/from BWI and only problem we had was boarding the train at BWI with lots of luggage(travelled with friends and had 8 bags total including carry-ons). We boarded at one car and the storage area apparently was full but instead of carrying the luggage down the row, to the next car, the conductor made us get off the train with the bags :eek:and re-board at a different car and then complained to the engineer why the train was late.

Hopefully we will be fine at the same Amtrak station as we will only have 2 bags and one small carry on. For our tastes anyway, the train is more relaxing that all of the hoop-la we have tog o through with flying.