Argostoli on your own

Dennis75

We were in Argostoli on June 2nd and our ship actually docked instead of tendering as originally stated on our itinerary. Argostoli was completely devastated in a 1953 earthquake and rebuilt thereafter, so we knew we wanted to see the island and not stay in Argostoli.

We had prebooked a taxi excursion with Constantinos Aravantinos with Caesars Taxi. The cost was 60 Euros per hour, with a minimum of 2 hours. Anything after 4 hours was 40 Euros per hour. He had a very nice Mercedes and he was extremely knowledgeable and caring. We did the Melissani Lake/Cave first and arrived there about 10:15, which apparently is prime time because the sun is shining on the water. The boat ride is very short, but the blue clear water is just amazing. The cost was 7 Euros per person. We then told Constantinos to just take us around the island within a 4 hour timeframe and let him choose the itinerary. We went through Sami (did not stop), some ruins, a viewpoint of Myrtos Beach (the water was so blue that my pictures will never capture how beautiful it was), stopped along a road to see a bridge where Germans killed many soldiers by shooting them on the bridge and then letting their bodies fall off and down a cliff to wash out to sea (he said no one ever stops there and I actually found it quite moving), then on to the Mazarakata Tombs (we were the only people there) which was a small area but still interesting, to a castle but it was closed on Monday, and then finally to a wine tasting at a monastery winery (Robola wine). The tour actually lasted almost 5 hours but he insisted in only charging us for 4 hours since that is the timeframe we requested.

There is a thread that outlines some other options:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1361921&highlight=argostoli

• Like 1

We also did a taxi tour...we were there June 1. Loved Kefelonia!! Our taxi tour was kefelonia taxi and was 35 euro an hour. Our driver was great! We visited the caves and Melissani Lake then went to have lunch and also tour of the island and the views. I think a taxi is the way to go; not much to walk to.

We also did a taxi tour...we were there June 1. Loved Kefelonia!! Our taxi tour was kefelonia taxi and was 35 euro an hour. Our driver was great! We visited the caves and Melissani Lake then went to have lunch and also tour of the island and the views. I think a taxi is the way to go; not much to walk to.

We were just there on May 22nd and I do have to agree with that. Small town, not much to see, but the food was good.

Now I wish we took a cab to where they filmed the move Captain Corellii's Mandolin (Sami?) and saw the monument to the Italians in WWII.

There were cabs available near the dock and nobody was pushy, unlike Corfu. Also sounds like the cabs were significantly cheaper.

Edited by Ron98GT

We just walked into town and did some shopping there. I bought some great necklaces there. GET the latte with ice cream in it... OMG the BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I heard from someone on our trip that they did the caves and said it was really good.

• 3 weeks later...
We were in Argostoli on June 2nd and our ship actually docked instead of tendering as originally stated on our itinerary. Argostoli was completely devastated in a 1953 earthquake and rebuilt thereafter, so we knew we wanted to see the island and not stay in Argostoli.

We had prebooked a taxi excursion with Constantinos Aravantinos with Caesars Taxi. The cost was 60 Euros per hour, with a minimum of 2 hours. Anything after 4 hours was 40 Euros per hour. He had a very nice Mercedes and he was extremely knowledgeable and caring. We did the Melissani Lake/Cave first and arrived there about 10:15, which apparently is prime time because the sun is shining on the water. The boat ride is very short, but the blue clear water is just amazing. The cost was 7 Euros per person. We then told Constantinos to just take us around the island within a 4 hour timeframe and let him choose the itinerary. We went through Sami (did not stop), some ruins, a viewpoint of Myrtos Beach (the water was so blue that my pictures will never capture how beautiful it was), stopped along a road to see a bridge where Germans killed many soldiers by shooting them on the bridge and then letting their bodies fall off and down a cliff to wash out to sea (he said no one ever stops there and I actually found it quite moving), then on to the Mazarakata Tombs (we were the only people there) which was a small area but still interesting, to a castle but it was closed on Monday, and then finally to a wine tasting at a monastery winery (Robola wine). The tour actually lasted almost 5 hours but he insisted in only charging us for 4 hours since that is the timeframe we requested.

There is a thread that outlines some other options:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1361921&highlight=argostoli

I finally put together some pictures of our tour in Argostoli. It also has Corfu at the end.

• 3 weeks later...

We hired a taxi for 4 hours for €120. It was great. We did both caves and got to them just before the groups. When we exited the water cave there was a LONG line. One person on the ship said they stood there for an hour. We walked straight on to the boat.

We had a lovely day.

We hired a taxi for 4 hours for €120. It was great. We did both caves and got to them just before the groups. When we exited the water cave there was a LONG line. One person on the ship said they stood there for an hour. We walked straight on to the boat.

We had a lovely day.

Sounds identical to our experience! I think the taxi drivers know the timing. Did you use Kefelonia Taxi?

• Like 1

Sounds identical to our experience! I think the taxi drivers know the timing. Did you use Kefelonia Taxi?

We will be there in September and would like to know as well. Thanks.

• Like 1

I don't know the company. We originally wanted to hire a car but there weren't any. So we walked back towards the ship and taxis were there.

This was one of my favourite days on our cruise. The views are spectacular. Do yourself a favour and don't just visit Argostoli. This is some of the best scenery I've ever seen (and I've travelled A LOT).

First photo is in Melissani Cave

The views over Myrtos beach is unbelievable. The photo doesn't do it justice.

IMG_0095.jpg.f339b018eeab58bc63ac7cdc9bff1bcf.jpg

IMG_0112.jpg.20239691b54efd9f3cb546c33c05f521.jpg

I don't know the company. We originally wanted to hire a car but there weren't any. So we walked back towards the ship and taxis were there.

This was one of my favourite days on our cruise. The views are spectacular. Do yourself a favour and don't just visit Argostoli. This is some of the best scenery I've ever seen (and I've travelled A LOT).

First photo is in Melissani Cave

The views over Myrtos beach is unbelievable. The photo doesn't do it justice.

Can you dive or snorkel at the Melissani cave or the island in general... I know, I should probably post on the Scuba area, but I'm asking specifically about this island, Argostoli.

Steph, you recommend a cab over renting a car? We are trying to watch our spending and saw that you can rent a car pretty cheap... Are the roads pretty good or more like Amalfi coast?

Can you dive or snorkel at the Melissani cave or the island in general... I know, I should probably post on the Scuba area, but I'm asking specifically about this island, Argostoli.

Steph, you recommend a cab over renting a car? We are trying to watch our spending and saw that you can rent a car pretty cheap... Are the roads pretty good or more like Amalfi coast?

The cave is very small...can't imaging there is diving. However; Argostoli does have diving as I saw a PADI shop.

I know there have been suggestions to rent a car in Argostoli that I've read before. I never have a desire to do that...but the roads aren't near as curvy as Amalfi! They compare to any mountain roads I've been on in Colorado. We really did love our driver and he was able to go much faster and do so safely than we would have....therefore we saw a ton! He also knew the cruise ship schedules and avoided all the crowds.

I don't think you can divce in the cave but I'm sure there are places to dive, given the amazing visability.

As I mentioned, we tried hiring a car. There don't seem to be many. One guy on the cruise tried to hire one beforehand with no luck. They do have heaps of motorbikes and quad bikes if that interests you. 25Euro's I think.

If you can get 4 people it's the same for a taxi. The thing I find with driving yourself is you miss things. The cabs know when and where to go to avoid the bus queues etc. And you get to sit back and relax.:D

I don't think you can divce in the cave but I'm sure there are places to dive, given the amazing visability.

As I mentioned, we tried hiring a car. There don't seem to be many. One guy on the cruise tried to hire one beforehand with no luck. They do have heaps of motorbikes and quad bikes if that interests you. 25Euro's I think.

If you can get 4 people it's the same for a taxi. The thing I find with driving yourself is you miss things. The cabs know when and where to go to avoid the bus queues etc. And you get to sit back and relax.:D

Thanks to you and Steph for answering my questions. We are also motorcycle riders and I was wondering if any of the Greek isles would be a good/safe ride. I'm thinking Argostoli might be it! Did you see anything that looked like a real motorcycle, or was it just the little scooters or ATVs? Thanks!

Was there just a couple weeks ago and enjoyed a relaxing day at Makris Gialos/Lassi Beach. Argostoli is quite beautiful. (Here's a page with info on local beaches: http://www.kefaloniaguide.co.uk/blog/kefalonia-ithaca-beaches/argostoli-lassi-beaches-shores-bay/ )

To get there, we took a taxi from just outside the dock/tourist info office (right across the street) near where the Shore Excursion buses were. Most passengers had been told to walk into town to find a cab, but a police officer informed us that the taxi waiting area was right there. Within minutes, we had a cab. The set price is 10 Euros one way (you can share this with other passengers, which we did on the way back). Took about 10 minutes (on a Sunday). Taxis were waiting as you exit, as well, so there were no problem for us to get back (we had been a little concerned because it was a Sunday, but it all went well).

Although the local tourist office had told us the next local bus would be another hour or so, many passengers somehow found an alternate bus to get to the beach (think it cost 1.30 Euros each way). Those interested should contact the local tourism office for a schedule. They caught the bus in town (which is not far from the dock).

From the drop-off point, you will walk down a shaded path to the beach. The beach is clean and beautiful. There is a restaurant on the premises. I believe it was around 7 Euros total for 2 beach beds and an umbrella for the day. The showers and toilets were free.

We had a wonderful day there. Enjoy your time in Argostoli!

Edited by syesmar

Thanks to you and Steph for answering my questions. We are also motorcycle riders and I was wondering if any of the Greek isles would be a good/safe ride. I'm thinking Argostoli might be it! Did you see anything that looked like a real motorcycle, or was it just the little scooters or ATVs? Thanks!

I think any of the islands would be OK. We rode around Naxos on a bike but had a small car in Santorini.

Argostoli would be great. The scenery is lovely.

They had 4 wheel drive ATV's, scooters and dirt type bikes. I can't remember any bigger bikes but there may have been. There were a lot outside the shops though (just no cars). The closest one to port didn't open until 9.30 but a bit further up they opened up earlier.

• 1 year later...

Our ship docked in Argostoli in mid-September and we had reserved a car through Ainos Travel, also known as Escape Car Rental. Everything was smooth. We had a very nice VW Polo, it was easy to find the representative at the port, and there was no paperwork. We returned the car to the dock with no problems. Highly recommended. We drove to Assos and Fiskardo and found them both to be lovely, especially Fiskardo. The mountain roads have some switchbacks, but they are in good repair and driving was very easy. I highly recommend the company and renting a car if your ship docks in Argostoli. We stopped in Assos, drove up to Fiskardo and had lunch, then drove back along the east coast via Sami, and got back to the ship well before departure. I think renting a car for the day is a great option in Argostoli.

• 7 months later...

Hi all, just wanted to resurrect this thread.

We are first time cruisers and just had 1 question:

How much time does it take to get off the ship and into port on Argostoli? We're renting a car and I want to give him a time to meet us at the port to pick up the car. The ship docks at 12 according to the schedule and the previous day we are coming from Mykonos.

Does the ship generally dock early?

Can you get off in 30 minutes or so?

Ship leaves at 7pm. What time should be tell him we are returning the car?

( That was 3 questions, oops )

We're on Royal Caribbean, if that makes a difference.

Hi all, just wanted to resurrect this thread.

We are first time cruisers and just had 1 question:

How much time does it take to get off the ship and into port on Argostoli? We're renting a car and I want to give him a time to meet us at the port to pick up the car. The ship docks at 12 according to the schedule and the previous day we are coming from Mykonos.

Does the ship generally dock early?

Can you get off in 30 minutes or so?

Ship leaves at 7pm. What time should be tell him we are returning the car?

( That was 3 questions, oops )

We're on Royal Caribbean, if that makes a difference.

Sounds like you're doing the same itinerary as us but we leave June 4!! I hope someone responds to our posts!!

• 3 weeks later...

"]we arrived at noon, and since we'd just left another Greek island, people started wandering out within 15 minutes of arrive. Then it is a 5 minute walk down a well maintained pier.

Can you get off in 30 minutes or so? If you dock, and do not need to clear customs, you should be fine.

Your all aboard time might be earlier than 7. Be sure to check. I would give yourself at least a 30 minute cushion, though it might be good to know how many other people would be returning cars around the same time. That could impact your logistics.

It's a super easy port. People are super relaxed as well, on that island. We rented from cephalonia car rental and basically she said she'll try to meet us at 6:30 but if she's not there just leave the keys under the mat and the doors unlocked.