Parking in NYC

christinalvt

Hello,

Has anyone had any experience parking at MTP 57 parking garage on 57th st in NYC while on a cruise? Through the Best Parking app, I found that it is $175 (including tax) for 7 days, and is only 8 blocks from the pier. I just wanted to know if anyone had any experience parking here, and if it was good or bad.

Thanks!

Christina

I haven't parked in that particular lot but a few words about NYC parking lots.

1. The rates posted online apply to REGULAR size cars-generally Chevy Malibu size or smaller. Full size pickups, large SUV's, large vans-always an added surcharge so you may not save any money at all. Sometimes even large cars-Towne Cars, Chevy Impalas and full sized Cadillacs, etc. etc-can incur extra charges depending on the lot.

2. Quite a few of the lots in NYC are "stack" lots, meaning they put the cars on lifts to maximize space. It can sometimes take a LOOOOONG time to unstack so if the weather is nasty or you are in a hurry, it could be a very miserable experience. The lot behind and just west of the Ritz Carlton, Battery Park, took almost 40 minutes to get my rental out a couple of years ago. I was kicking myself for not paying the few extra dollars (about $20) and parking in the Ritz Carlton garage which connected directly to the hotel. I was going to a business meeting and I was very stupid trying to save the money.

3. As someone already mentioned, taxi to and from a parking lot eats up a lot of your savings. And if someone is dropping you off with the luggage, going to park the car, then walking back, the REVERSE when you disembark can be a total nightmare. TOO many cars, toooooo many taxis, toooo many people all trying to get out of Dodge and you are trying to get luggage loaded off the street at the port.

Most people will suggest you save a few dollars on something OTHER than parking. There is just nothing like walking off your ship, getting in the elevator to the top of the pier and getting in your car to leave. You can take your time, not get honked at, not be told to move the car. MUCH more pleasant experience.

Thanks for all the info, but the savings would be substantial, about $100, and I wouldn't need a taxi because it's only a few blocks from the pier. I just wanted to know if anyone had any bad experiences at that lot.

Christina

️ You know you're a cruise addict if:

You know what DOtD and OBC mean.

You enter your bedroom at night and look for the towel animal.

You are reading Cruise Critic, and your cruise isn't for months, or you don't even have one booked (yet!)

one comment about the "stack lots" that greatam mentions. Those are pretty much exclusively outdoor lots that have these systems. I've parked in about 50 different indoor garages in NYC and none of them have stack systems. My advice to avoid those is to do a Google Street View of potential parking locations to see if they are garages or lots.

And FWIW my 4Runner never incurred oversized charges

one comment about the "stack lots" that greatam mentions. Those are pretty much exclusively outdoor lots that have these systems. I've parked in about 50 different indoor garages in NYC and none of them have stack systems. My advice to avoid those is to do a Google Street View of potential parking locations to see if they are garages or lots.

And FWIW my 4Runner never incurred oversized charges

That's why I love the Best Parking app, it tells you whether it's an outdoor or indoor lot, includes all taxes, and tells you the extra fees (SUV, etc).

Christina

️ You know you're a cruise addict if:

You know what DOtD and OBC mean.

You enter your bedroom at night and look for the towel animal.

You are reading Cruise Critic, and your cruise isn't for months, or you don't even have one booked (yet!)

Questions about the parking at Pier88 are asked very often on these boards...

I always answer with " use the Pier parking " !

Depending from where you plan to park near the pier, your savings are from 40$ to 90$ for the week...

You will want to drop off passengers and luggage first...so wait in traffic to access terminal and do the queue to drop off area. Then exit terminal...again in traffic...go to parking lot/garage...either walk or taxi to terminal...again in traffic and queue to drop off level...

Same goes for exodus... you will waist like 2 hours in total and taxi cost. Ok you might want to walk MTP57 is almost a full avenue and 9 street for Pier88...what if weather is inclement ?

I always park at the Pier, and no I am not rich, I do appreciate a 90$ savings..but not on parking and the convenience of being in my car 10 minutes after I left the ship...I will save $$ elsewhere...

Have a safe cruise !