Best nt for alternative restaurant?

I am going on the Voyager 9 nt carib sailing later this month and wondering which nights are best to miss in the main dining room? I'd like to make a reservation for the alternative restaurant upon boarding and would appreciate any recommendations as to which night is their favorite among those who have previous experience.

I like to dine in the main dining room on the first formal night (I'm guessing it is the second day- 1st full day, which is also a sea day for this itinerary) and of course the first and last nights of the cruise- but am curious about the other 6 nights.

Any specifics someone cares to share about themes or food offered in the main rm would be great too.

Thanks in advance!

I like to dine in the main dining room on the first formal night (I'm guessing it is the second day- 1st full day, which is also a sea day for this itinerary) and of course the first and last nights of the cruise- but am curious about the other 6 nights.

For this cruise, I suggest changing your routine. One of the highlights of sailing Voyager out of Cape Liberty is to be out on the top most observation point as the ship travels under the Verrazano Narrows Bridge (4,260' span; 693' towers angled 1 5/8 inches apart at the top to account for the curvature of the earth). The seasonal expansion of the cables, coupled with Voyager's front tower height, leaves only about 16 feet of clearance as you pass under the bridge. It's much more impressive seeing it than reading about it here ;) People actually cheer when it clears (would they boo if it hit?) and it's a great time to toast the upcoming cruise as it gets underway.

What does this mean for main seating dinner? Even the 15 minute first-night delay to 6:15 does not give you ample time to leisurely make dinner in the dining room if you're doing the top-deck sailaway right (my last two cruises (see below) had us passing under the bridge around 6:45ish) -- so why not go to Portofino's the first night instead?

It's less crowded than it will be later on in the cruise, you'll see crew members there as they too take advantage of the 'slow' night, plus you'll each get a glass of champagne and a piece of art (8x10 print) as a special gift.

Just go to Portofino's as soon as you board and make reservations for that night. Enjoy!

You make a great point about missing the sailaway- didn't think of that!

I have sailed fr NY a few times before- but some in my travel party have not... and none of us on a ship this large. Even if viewed several times, it always leaves me in awe.

Food for thought.

Thanks for taking the time to give such a thoughtful response.

Good idea. Do I remember correctly that you don't need a reservation at Portofino's on the first night?? thanks.

In June, I went to Portofino's right after we got on board and had no trouble getting any time I wanted.

In July (the infamous Bermuda NORTH cruise) I went after sailaway and had to wait until 9:45 for a table for four.

You may not need a reservation, but if you have the time to make one earlier in the day it'll help you get the time you want.

We were also on the 9 day cruise. We ate in Portofinos on Tuesday night which is Caribbean night in the main dining room. The food and service in Portofinos was wonderful!!

We were there too. Tuesday is perfect but reserve it as soon as you board. That night goes fast.

Archived