How much time do you really spend in your cabin?

How much time do you spend in the cabin?  

235 members have voted

1. 1. How much time do you spend in the cabin?

• 9-10 hours a day/night
    • 7-8 hours a day/night
    • 5-6 hours a day/night
    • Who needs sleep?
    • I'm only there for sleep ( and the occasional shower!)

For us it's alot more than most- so we like to book larger staterooms, ideally suites- but at least a regular size balcony room.

How do we accumulate most of our 'in cabin' hours??

Well, on sea days we tend to sleep in- port days though we rise early- we generally take a nap midday. We don't hang around the pool for very long on sea days- so we are in and out of our room between activities that interest us. On port days we generally don't spend more than 2 to 4 hours off the ship. Often we take more than one shower- in the morning before going into port and again before dinner to refresh... this takes a fair amount of time when you have 3 people doing it. Also we have a daughter who isn't always thrilled with the kids club and since kid friendly activities in the later evening hours are very limited on most ships- we tend to head back to the room on most nights by 10:30pm.

The time really adds up for us!

I picked 7 - 8 hours a day or night. We usually just use the cabin to change, shower, or sleep. With my next cruise I have a balcony and a JS so I have a feeling I might be in the cabin more than usual. With 5 sea days, I can enjoy sitting outside with no crowds.

I picked 7 - 8 hours a day or night. We usually just use the cabin to change, shower, or sleep. With my next cruise I have a balcony and a JS so I have a feeling I might be in the cabin more than usual. With 5 sea days, I can enjoy sitting outside with no crowds.

5 sea days! = Relaxation :)

Robyn, I actually love sea days more than port days. I was looking at a Carnival cruise in the southern Caribbean from San Juan and out of 7 days there were only two at sea. I take a cruise to relax and although I love seeing new ports, I would rather spend my time out on deck, reading a book, eating until my hearts content, and watching the world go by.

Robyn, I actually love sea days more than port days. I was looking at a Carnival cruise in the southern Caribbean from San Juan and out of 7 days there were only two at sea. I take a cruise to relax and although I love seeing new ports, I would rather spend my time out on deck, reading a book, eating until my hearts content, and watching the world go by.

I know what you mean. Being that our past cruise was our first cruise, I didn't know what to expect - I found the sea days to be SO relaxing - no rushing to go anywhere or see anything. I found the port days to be pressure filled in the sense that we HAD to get up at a certain time, get off the ship...etc, etc. We are doing the Southern Route this time ( Aruba, Curacao, St. Thomas, St. Maarten) pretty port intensive but the DH really wants to do this one! I have been to all of these islands, DH hasn't been to Aruba.

I think the next cruise I book will have at least 3 sea days - nothing like sitting by the pool with a tropical drink and a "can't put down" novel :)

You're going to have a great time!

Some times the better half doesn't feel well and we might be in the cabin an entire day, port or not. We're in a GS so the digs aren't too bad! To be honest I enjoy the sea, a good book, the salt air, sunshine, two fingers of Chivas, and if no one is around a good cigar. The balcony gets a real work out with us as we some times have room service and take dinner there. This is our 30th cruise and I can remember when we barely saw the room always on the run, now a little down time is GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill

I chose 5-6 hours. Just enough for a little sleep and to shower and change. I always feel I can sleep, read or sit around at home. Although I do like to lay around the pool on sea days and just relax for a couple of hours.

when on Celebrity in a AFT CC with 200 sq ft blacony. We invite folks we were with on an excursion to shower, put on comfywear & come join us for dinner out on our verandah with no dress code. We had the Housekeeping Manager as Host with a 4 chair large table all nicely dressed like the dining room. Menu shown, order taken & all food arrives at the same time, but we ave soups or salads, then main entre, then desert with Baileys in a carafe of coffee for all.

Unforunately even FOS has no really large anything. So we are doing a D1 with large stateroom & 51 sq ft balcony. We were thinking of Jr Suite but it doesn't sound that much bigger other than a tub with shower. So we will sleep, shower & dress there, enjoy drinks by ourselves watching the wake after shows in the evening to unwind & sleep well with the door open.

Our sea days are mostly spent in our cabin....you know, there are just some things you're not allowed to do on deck or in public venues. ;)

Plus, by the time we've spent a couple entire days busy and involved in activities when we're in ports, we really look forward to some down time. Napping, reading, watching in-cabin movies.....basically becoming vegetables!

I spend a fair amount of time in my cabin. I like to take naps and sometimes I just need some down time from all of the people around. I am happy with an ocean view cabin--don't need anything bigger and just laze around. I CAN'T lay around or read or etc. at home due to the hours I work so really look forward to the down time. I have found that if I try to do too much--especially if it is warm-- I get sick. That is how I missed Costa Rica on my Panama Canal Cruise.

Had a balcony once, got ugraded to one the second time, 3d time an inside cabin. Balcony was ok, loved the insider. Nice and dark for sleeping.

Since we only sleep, shower/dress, etc & .... well you know:D . We don't need any more room.

When we are on vacation we are doing things, if we want to relax there are lots of nice and quiet nooks and crannies on a ship.

My husband and I like nice cabins and do spend time in them. The best was the aft suite on the Grand Pincess..our balcony was huge. WE ate out there, we took naps out there..it was heaven. Had a small room once,,,booked late. REally hated it..

Many people make their cabin choice based on the idea that they won't spend much time in there anyways ....

I'm interested to see how much time people actually spend in their cabin?

For a long time we ABSOLUTELY HAD to have at least a balcony cabin!!!!

That was fun for a while! Never thought we'd ever consider going down. Then, we realized that we were only using our balcony to dry water shoes, etc. ... never actually enjoyed sitting out there the way we did when we first started getting balconies. :rolleyes:

Happy Sailing! OCruisers :)

I spend the absolute minimum amount of time in the cabin. 3-4 hours a night... back to dress for dinner. On a 9 night cruise, I'd estimate a grand total of 40-45 hours. When I got home after this last cruise I slept almost straight through from 2 in the afternoon to Monday morning.

Now THAT is a vacation!!!

To those people who say "why book a nice cabin, we're never in it..." my husband always responds...well if you had a better cabin you might

It depends on what you're looking for om your vacation. I can't stand the thought of being in a cabin when there's all that stuff to do on the ship... I just can't get back out there quick enough. You could give me the biggest suite on the ship. I'm not on a cruise to hang in my cabin.

Well, let's see. 7-8 hours a night sleeping, another hour getting ready for dinner, a nap or movie on sea days so there's another couple of hours at least. So maybe as many as 10 on sea days and as little as 8 on port days.

Archived