best direction around the horn

otto2

I prefer starting in Buenos Aires because I always recommend arriving a few days before the start of the cruise and I would spend the extra time touring Buenos Aires.

Otherwise, the direction to me is unimportant.

Keith

I prefer starting in Buenos Aires because I always recommend arriving a few days before the start of the cruise and I would spend the extra time touring Buenos Aires.

Otherwise, the direction to me is unimportant.

Keith

I agree. We did Infinity from Buenos Aires, which allowed us five days pre-cruise there.

Also, we arrived in Ushuaia in the early morning, so we had a full day there.

Ushuaia is the most important port on the cruise, in my opinion. You want a full day there.

Check the timing of each port in either direction, especially Ushuaia.

Also, suggest a great book about Ushuaia. The Uttermost Part of the Earth.

Is there such a thing as a best direction... either Buenos A. to Chile or the reverse?

Thanks

It is really a matter of timing. You can do a search on this board to get a lot of reviews. Also, check out the YouTube videos of both calm and stormy seas that you would encounter.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by Duane T

Check out your estimated time to sail around the horn. We went from Valpariso to BA and passed through quite early in the morning (8-9am on the schedule, but it was earlier than that on approach). The reverse trip was set to arrive there in late afternoon. Also, the scenic glacier/Amalia glacier timing can make a difference. Once again we were there in early morning(7-8am but there are lots of glaciers to see on the approach) and had some haunting pictures based on the sunrise and sunlight. The time of day can impact what you are seeing. We did have a very full day in Ushuaia(noon-8 pm)