In Case of an Emergency

wrecks

This is a great suggestion! Let's pass it along!

Paramedics/Emergency Rooms will turn to a victim's cell phone for clues to

that person's identity. You can make their job much easier with a simple

idea that they are trying to get everyone to adopt: ICE.

ICE stands for In Case of Emergency. If you add an entry in the contacts

list in your cell phone under ICE, with the name and phone number of the

person that the emergency services should call on your behalf, you can save them

a lot of time and have your loved ones contacted quickly.

It only takes a few moments of your time to do.

Paramedics know what ICE means and they look for it immediately.

For more than one contact name ICE1, ICE2, ICE3, etc.

ICE your cell phone NOW!

Please pass this one along.

I am an emergency room nurse and I am sorry to say that we are just to busy to try and figure out a cell phone! What I recomend is a small written note with your name and emergency contact. I can't tell you how many wallets / purses have no id in them.

I copied my drivers licence cut it out...wrote emergency numbers on the back and it is smaller than a penny

I am an emergency room nurse and I am sorry to say that we are just to busy to try and figure out a cell phone! What I recomend is a small written note with your name and emergency contact. I can't tell you how many wallets / purses have no id in them.

I copied my drivers licence cut it out...wrote emergency numbers on the back and it is smaller than a penny

Here in the UK the Ambulance Service has actually launched a campaign asking people to use ICE - so they obviously do have the time to figure out mobile phones!

Here in the UK the Ambulance Service has actually launched a campaign asking people to use ICE - so they obviously do have the time to figure out mobile phones!

Yes I saw this on the Morning News a week or two ago and they were interviewing one of your emergency workers. I thought what a good idea. I was trying to remember what ICE stood for when I was telling my husband about it this week and this thread popped up. There are many people that have cell phones and that do not carry I.D. Since they still have to try to contact next of kin. It would be easier than looking up phone numbers and tracking the loved one down. The ICE contact would also be able to call them back easier.

I agree that learning the details of each cell phone, beyond the first few selections, can be time consuming, but here's good news:

I believe:

All cell phones start out with, or have button labeled, "Menu".

On the "Menu" is always a selection called "Contacts" or something like it.

Scroll to it and Select (Enter)

Scroll down to a contact named ICE and select it.

There's the info you need! :)

Try it 3 times on any phone and you'll be able to do it on any other phone in umder 10 seconds.

I think your note idea is important, too. And I think after you get confidence in the ICE solution, you will find it even faster than searching through a wallet and unfolding a bunch of pieces of paper.

Thanks for your service as an ER nurse. You guys are the greatest. My wife's sister worked as ER nurse for years.

But what about those of us who don't have a Mom or Dad? My husband is in my phone as "Dennis", my daughter is "Rachel" and my sister is "Gill". Any emergency worker would have no idea who they were.

I now have my husband's number stored as ICE.

But what about those of us who don't have a Mom or Dad? My husband is in my phone as "Dennis", my daughter is "Rachel" and my sister is "Gill". Any emergency worker would have no idea who they were.

I now have my husband's number stored as ICE.

Exactly. Then the ER folks can just scroll to ICE. And they call the person YOU have designated as your ICE contact.

It's a real good idea, folks. Create a new contact called "ICE" and assign it the number of who you would want to be called In Case of Emergency.

(BTW, mine says "ICE - wife" just so the ER folks know who they're calling.)

If you want, make others, called ICE2, ICE3, etc. for them to call if your main ICE is not available. Good in case you and your spouse BOTH get knocked out by the same champagne cork! ;)

This info was circulated soon after the 7/7 bombings here in London. Soon after that some wicked people circulated an email saying "don't ice, it's a scam". That led to the Emergency Services having to waste their time assuring us all via TV/radio etc that it was genuine. I think it's a great idea.

Sue

I think the idea of having info in your wallet is sound, however I would be dead on the side of the road by the time the emergency workers found info about me in my mess of a wallet!

As far as the ICE on the phone goes, a reason I think it would be good for me is that I dont necessarily answer numbers I dont recognize on the caller ID, whereas I would for sure answer the phone if dh was calling, even if it was a aid worker on the other end.

Thanks for the tip!

Casey

I have added several ICE to my cell -- ICE - Mike; ICE - Home, ICE - Glenda. It will help the EMT to know who they're calling. I did see an article in our local newspaper this week stating what a previous EMT poster said -- they are too busy trying to stablize or work on the person and don't have time to scroll through all the numbers in the cell phone.

We have a lady at work, though, whose son was in a terrible car accident and the paramedics contacted her by using her son's cell phone. Whatever...you should still have emergency contacts and numbers readily available for paramedics or police in emergency situations.

This info was circulated soon after the 7/7 bombings here in London. Soon after that some wicked people circulated an email saying "don't ice, it's a scam". That led to the Emergency Services having to waste their time assuring us all via TV/radio etc that it was genuine. I think it's a great idea.

Sue

I also received the email saying that ICE was a scam & that the word ICE is a HOT WORD that can be used to infect your phone with a virus.

I dont use the word ICE for this reason & have listed my next of kin as "emergency Contact"

Its a sad world that people will take advantage of a terrible situation for their own sick gain

All I know is that I read an article last week in the Chicago Tribune - saying that police are urging people to ICE their phones - I don't think they would have printed this article if it was a scam. If it was I believe they would have printed a retraction. To my knowledge it is legitimate until I hear otherwise - I have ICED my phone.

Kaye

• 2 weeks later...

this is a copy of the email we received at work shortly after the original ICE email went out

Subject: RE: FW: ICE

ITS A HOAX !

Be very careful with this one - although the intention is great it is unfortunately phase one of a phone based virus that is laying a path for propagating very quickly. Passing it on is part of the virus interestingly, such is the deviousness of the people who write these things. We have already seen the "second phase" where a program is sent as part of a ring-tone download that goes into your address book and looks for something it recognises - you've guessed it, an address book entry marked "ICE or I.C.E." or whatever. It then sends itself to the "ICE list", charging you for the privilege.

I find that Snopes.com is a very handy website for investigating the validity of urban legends and other stories that circulate on the internet. Here's the info they have about the ICE program:

http://www.snopes.com/crime/prevent/icephone.asp

Everytime I get an e-mail that has information about an alleged crime spree, scam, hoax or virus, or seems at all dubious to me (i.e., it's been forwarded 15 times, it includes a story that seems fictional), I immediately go to snopes.com to find out if it's true or not. Usually they're not true, but sometimes the least belieavable ones turn out to be true, like the one about the woman whose cat got its head caught in a garbage disposal.

Archived