Coba Ruins - The Mystery of the Mayan Civilization

Has anyone booked this excursion before? My fiance and I would like to book it for our Honeymoon Cruise. We will have close to $500 OBC ready for us, and would like to use that when we book the excursion. I know that we cannot use the OBC until we are on the ship.

Do you think the excursion will sell out before then?

I was on the FOS last month and Tulum (the other major Mayan ruins tour) was completely full by the time we got to Cozumel. However, there was availability earlier in the week. You should be fine to book when you get on board...you can do it on the TV when you get to your room or fill out a form and drop in the box at the shore excursions desk.

I'm not trying to talk you out of this, but just so you know: the ferry ride to the mainland can be extremely rough depending on the sea conditions. I would strongly advise you to take seasickness pills even if you don't think you'll need them. The best place to sit on the ferry is in the back on the lower level.

Has anyone booked this excursion before? My fiance and I would like to book it for our Honeymoon Cruise. We will have close to $500 OBC ready for us, and would like to use that when we book the excursion. I know that we cannot use the OBC until we are on the ship.

Do you think the excursion will sell out before then?

My son and I went years ago and enjoyed it. But our experience is not recent so maybe others can give a better update. And yes the waters between the mainland and Cozumel were very rough - lower deck was the better choice if that would bother you! :D

The risk you run by waiting is - as already mentioned - that it could be booked by then. If you are planning a beverage package you could wait until you are on board to buy that and use the OBC for that instead.

See you on the Roll Call and on board.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

My DH and I went to Coba a little over a year ago. I loved it...I love all the really old historical ruins and the Mayan "technology". I was in Macho Picchu last summer. I did not climb the pyramid, even though it was allowed at that time. I was shaky about the coming down holding on to a slack rope. There was information that they were possibly going to stop public climbing because of the erosion. We were not impressed with the actual bus tour booked through RCCL. The AC on the bus was broke...the lunch was not until 4pm...which was right before we had to move quickly to the ship. At the end of the day, the trip was worth it for me to see the really historically cool ruins..

Edited by Betho
different font

If it is something you really want to do, then you should book now. When I've had obc, I was able to use it towards tips and things I purchased on the ship. It shouldn't be a problem to use all of your obc.

We loved Coba. When we got home we even watched Apocalypto. The ruins in Mexico never interested us but just wanted to try something different. We are more of a beach day/bar crawl type in Mexico but this was truly a memorable day.

My DH and I went to Coba a little over a year ago. I loved it...I love all the really old historical ruins and the Mayan "technology". I was in Macho Picchu last summer. I did not climb the pyramid, even though it was allowed at that time. I was shaky about the coming down holding on to a slack rope. There was information that they were possibly going to stop public climbing because of the erosion. We were not impressed with the actual bus tour booked through RCCL. The AC on the bus was broke...the lunch was not until 4pm...which was right before we had to move quickly to the ship. At the end of the day, the trip was worth it for me to see the really historically cool ruins..

I climbed the pyramid when we went to Coba and am glad I did.... Once in a lifetime experience. But, I stopped a few times climbing up. I told my DW that it was to take some photos. But, it was really to catch my breath.... It was steep... I ended up sliding down on my butt.....

The AC was broke on the bus we took up there also. Must have been the same bus.... :rolleyes: It was hot and everyone got off the bus with sweat lines on their shirts....

When we gathered in the theatre to go to the ferry, they told us to take seasick pills and even were handing them out as we left the theatre. We had taken ours a bit earlier and it is a good thing we had. The first thing they did on the ferry was hand out little green plastic baggies. By the time we got off the ferry about half the passengers had left their breakfast in those baggies....

As we crossed back to the island on the ferry, we watched all the cruise ships pulling away. Only our ship was left because we got back about a half hour after the time they were supposed to leave. Our group waved at all the folks watching us from the ship as we walked up the pier and got on the ship. As soon as we got on the ship, they closed the access door, pulled in the lines and pulled away from the dock... We were very glad we were on a RCL excursion.... :)

I guess I will book it when I get paid next week. We really don't want to miss out.

I'm sure we will have no problem spending the OBC!! :cool:

You don't have to pay for this up front they will add it to your seapass

You don't have to pay for this up front they will add it to your seapass

....only if it is available to book on board as excursions are charged to your credit card at the time of booking. Her concern is for it being sold out on board which is when she could use the OBC.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

The bottom line is that if one REALLY wants to go on this excursion, it is best to book it now while it is available. If you don't mind not going on it, wait until you go up to the excursion counter to find out if it is sold out, that is the way to go. Basically your choice... For us, we wanted to see it since we had not seen anything like it before, so we booked it a couple months before boarding.

It sounds awesome and it is what my fiance really wants to do, so we will book it soon.

We were hesitant about the long travel time to the actual ruins, but my friend just did this exact excursion and he and his wifey said it is totally worth it.

• 4 weeks later...
DH and I have booked Coba for our August cruise and are looking forward to it! Well, I guess DH is more excited that me (I am not too thrilled about all the travel time). We did Tulum in the past and enjoyed seeing the old ruins.

Let me know how you like it!