Bit of a blog – Legend of the Seas - Ultimate Scandinavia & Russia – June 18th 2014

Another tourist information place

DSCN1143.jpg

One of Estonia’s principle writers, Eduard Vilde (1865-1933) lived in Tallinn

DSCN1144.jpg

Starting to head up the hill, direction Toompea

DSCN1145.jpg

At least there are stairs..... those cobbles.....

DSCN1146.jpg

DSCN1149.jpg

DSCN1150.jpg

We have seen this building from the road, the canal and now we are to go in. The Yosupov Palace.

There is much on the web about this stunning palace, the most important piece of history though, IMO, is the fact that Grigory Rasputin was murdered here in 1916. There is a small charge for photographs to be taken inside and I avail myself of this opportunity.

Question on the photography permit - I have been advised by my tour group that the cost is $6USD, however, it must be paid in Rubles and that there would be a stop at the ATM to obtain. Frankly, I don't think I want to pay the $5USD foreign ATM charge to my bank to get $6USD worth of rubles.

I had thought I wanted to be able to take pictures here, but after looking at yours (thank you for posting) combined with the payment hassles are making me reconsider.

Any thoughts?

I used rubles to buy snacks when out and about and souvenirs and would have paid for lunch with them too. Credit cards are accepted at most places. I was the only one in the group to buy the photo permit and really glad that I did.

Young enterprise selling strawberries and cherries

DSCN1156.jpg

I have to have a bird somewhere in my blog. It's in the rules.

DSCN1158.jpg

DSCN1159.jpg

I now have no idea how to get down so leave the crowds and go by instinct

DSCN1161.jpg

DSCN1163.jpg

Aleksander Nevsky Cathedral

DSCN1168.jpg

Edited by NorbertsNiece

I head back to the pier again taking a bit of a circuitous route. There's that balloon again.

DSCN1212.jpg

DSCN1214.jpg

DSCN1215.jpg

There's a nice market...... it is also accessible from the other side where the Tourist Information stand is. I buy 2 amber rings here.

DSCN1216.jpg

Back on board..... chocolate mousse has had a name change

DSCN1217.jpg

Our neighbour is off....

DSCN1218.jpg

Loving the pics! We leave in a month for a similar itinerary :) I read several Russian history books....the Romanovs and Peter the Great. Still need to read Catherine the Great. Can't wait to see these sites come to life in front of my eyes.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

As in the best Japanese restaurants presentation is paramount

DSCN1239.jpg

This.

Delicious.

Izumi Spider Roll

DSCN1240.jpg

DSCN1241.jpg

I actually get up out of my seat to compliment the chef!!

DSCN1242.jpg

Something is happening.....

DSCN1243.jpg

Mixed seafood rock

DSCN1244.jpg

Question on the photography permit - I have been advised by my tour group that the cost is $6USD, however, it must be paid in Rubles and that there would be a stop at the ATM to obtain. Frankly, I don't think I want to pay the $5USD foreign ATM charge to my bank to get $6USD worth of rubles.

I had thought I wanted to be able to take pictures here, but after looking at yours (thank you for posting) combined with the payment hassles are making me reconsider.

Any thoughts?

We were in SPB last month, not on this cruise but with Celebrity and DH paid with $ and it was $6. The official person didn't have change so make sure you have the right money. Given that we are British, I had some $'s with me but no $1 notes but thankfully we had some Americans in our tour group who gave us the extra $1 as they weren't going to accept anything less than $6!

The view from my window

DSCN1256.jpg

The first centrum show is still running and I catch all of the 2nd..... recommend it highly.....

DSCN1254.jpg

DSCN1259.jpg

Live music accompanies the above the ground action

DSCN1268.jpg

Barely a ripple

DSCN1270.jpg

Thanks for hanging in there and reading along. Your positive comments have spurred me on. Just Stockholm to go now.....

Yes and yes..... wait for Tallinn.......

It was worth the wait!! Checking out the link you posted!

Edited to add: I'm looking at their website now- wow! Thank you so much for posting the link!

Ruth

Edited by happy trailer

You could order it from the bank before you go.

I used rubles to buy snacks when out and about and souvenirs and would have paid for lunch with them too. Credit cards are accepted at most places. I was the only one in the group to buy the photo permit and really glad that I did.

Thanks for the feedback on the Photo Permit for Yusupov Palace. I'm leaving shortly and have already picked up my currency for the other countries.

Because I was under the mistaken impression I could just pay SPB Tours for the Photo Permint, along with my tour charge, in USD and reading that I really didn't need rubles for anything else, I decided not to order any.

I read a later post that someone was able to pay with USD. I think I will wing it and have exact change in USD and if they take it great, if they don't, I'll still have plenty of pictures of my time in SPB :)

Thanks again!

Edited by RenoDuck

Thanks for the feedback on the Photo Permit for Yusupov Palace. I'm leaving shortly and have already picked up my currency for the other countries.

Because I was under the mistaken impression I could just pay SPB Tours for the Photo Permint, along with my tour charge, in USD and reading that I really didn't need rubles for anything else, I decided not to order any.

I read a later post that someone was able to pay with USD. I think I will wing it and have exact change in USD and if they take it great, if they don't, I'll still have plenty of pictures of my time in SPB :)

Thanks again!

Yes, you can pay SPB Tours with USD or euros or rubles. But they don't have change. We just did the 3-day deluxe tour with them and it was marvelous!