Chef's Table on Splendor worth it for non-drinkers?

kylenyc

Anyone recently been on the Splendor's chef table? My understanding is the wine flows. However, I'm not a big wine drinker so is the chef table $75 good for just the food and experience? I've been to a chef table on NCL so don't need another galley tour.

Edited by kylenyc

Thanks guys. We'll I'm guessing that just because the Chef's Table menu is the same fleet wide, I imagine the experience and execution differ depending on the ship, head chef etc which is why I'm curious about Splendor in particular. We'll most likely do it.

We did Chef's Table on Inspiration in August 2012. I know - different ship - long time ago. But we enjoyed it so much, and we are not drinkers. The chef was an interesting speaker, the company was enjoyable, and the food amazing. We enjoy The Food Network and we felt like we were in the middle of a show. The food was so artfully presented and we enjoyed every one of the 7 courses. So, although I know this doesn't directly apply to your ship or sail dates, I thought it might interest you. And, as another FYI, a Celebrity Summit cruiser on these boards said that the cost for the Chef's Table on their cruise was $279. I was looking forward to doing that on our upcoming cruise in lieu of the specialty restaurants and his report of the cost dashed those hopes. So I think our $75 (at that time) Carnival experience was completely worth it.

We did Chef's Table on Inspiration in August 2012. I know - different ship - long time ago. But we enjoyed it so much, and we are not drinkers. The chef was an interesting speaker, the company was enjoyable, and the food amazing. We enjoy The Food Network and we felt like we were in the middle of a show. The food was so artfully presented and we enjoyed every one of the 7 courses. So, although I know this doesn't directly apply to your ship or sail dates, I thought it might interest you. And, as another FYI, a Celebrity Summit cruiser on these boards said that the cost for the Chef's Table on their cruise was $279. I was looking forward to doing that on our upcoming cruise in lieu of the specialty restaurants and his report of the cost dashed those hopes. So I think our $75 (at that time) Carnival experience was completely worth it.

$279 on Celebrity? Does the chef do cirque style acrobatics and serve everything with gold foil and diamond crusted mahi mahi? ::gasps::

Thanks I hope I don't have to trample over people on the way to be first in line at the reservation desk. :p

Edited by kylenyc

$279 on Celebrity? Does the chef do cirque style acrobatics and serve everything with gold foil and diamond crusted mahi mahi? ::gasps::

Thanks I hope I don't have to trample over people on the way to be first in line at the reservation desk. :p

Wow..I wonder if that is something other and more than the Carnival deal...

The wine and food must be VERY exclusive...just shocked...and it is just a bit much period..that is a very fancy excursion with lunch and wine price to me.

Whew:eek::eek:.

Looking forward to a Carnival one sometime, most folks like it..unless they just are not that foody or not much for sitting long for dinner types and are just happy with most of Carnival's items and newer casual food places and Lido, MDR, and Steakhouse options...sarah

$279 pp is about average if the dinner is on par with high end Los Angeles, New York, or Chicago restaurants.

$279 pp is about average if the dinner is on par with high end Los Angeles, New York, or Chicago restaurants.

The Carnival chef table would be among the most expensive meals I've ever had. So I guess don't know what high end is :D. At $279 pp on Celebrity, I could eat instead at Peter Luger Steak House (on the bucket list) and have a feast at City Island Lobster House... and still have room for a few of the many groupon restaurant dot com deals floating around like $49 appetizer, dinner, cocktails for two at a french restaurant in midtown. I guess Imma not sailing Celebrity any time soon. :eek:

One day I might bring myself to go to momofuku for $125 pp for dinner or start small and find out what a $30 bowl of noodle soup tastes like cuz I'm a big Mind of a Chef fan. :D

Wow..I wonder if that is something other and more than the Carnival deal...

The wine and food must be VERY exclusive...just shocked...and it is just a bit much period..that is a very fancy excursion with lunch and wine price to me.

Whew.

Looking forward to a Carnival one sometime, most folks like it..unless they just are not that foody or not much for sitting long for dinner types and are just happy with most of Carnival's items and newer casual food places and Lido, MDR, and Steakhouse options...sarah

Yeah we're definitely doing the steakhouse hopefully more than once. The menu looks very appealing.

Edited by kylenyc

That sounds like a pretty expensive option to us...not sure if the food and experience is actually worth it, I'd rather spend $40 on a fresh whole lobster in one of the ports lol

We plan to do that in St. John, NB!!

Edited by kylenyc

The Carnival chef table would be among the most expensive meals I've ever had. So I guess don't know what high end is :D. At $279 pp, I could eat at Peter Luger Steak House and have a feast at City Island Lobster House... and still have room for a few of the many groupon restaurant dot com deals floating around like $49 appetizer, dinner, cocktails for two at a french restaurant in midtown. I guess Imma not sailing Celebrity any time soon. :eek:

One day I might bring myself to go to momofuku for $125 pp for dinner cuz I'm a big Mind of a Chef fan. :)

Yeah we're definitely doing the steakhouse hopefully more than once. The menu looks very appealing.

One other thing is that Carnivals CT is fairly small, only 7 courses. The smallest on land I've had is 12 courses and the most is 52 courses.

I don't know how many courses Celebrity's is but, it should be more than 7 for that cost.

Btw... I just googled Celebrity's chef table, I believe it's $279 per couple not per person, 5 courses, wine pairings, and includes a cookbook. Whew... that makes a bit more sense. Still way more than Carnival.

Thanks guys, I'm getting pretty excited (and hungry).

Edited by kylenyc

Btw... I just googled Celebrity's chef table, I believe it's $279 per couple not per person, 5 courses, wine pairings, and includes a cookbook. Whew... that makes a bit more sense. Still way more than Carnival.

Thanks guys, I'm getting pretty excited (and hungry).

Yes, I think you are right about what is included. When I first looked at it there was a link on the Celebrity website, but I can't find it anywhere now. But the Carnival Chef's Table we went to also included wine and a photograph, just not a cookbook.

It worth it if you are not a drinker. The food it the best on the ship. The way I look at it, even in the best times you really can not drink that much wine at the chefs table if you want to enjoy the food

A few questions about the Chef's Table:

Is this something I can book before we get on the ship? When I called to put my deposit down the lady on the phone mentioned emailing someone to do that but she never provided the email address.

If not is this something that I should pay extra to get on board early so I can book it right away?

What day of the cruise is it normally held on? We are on Victory for a 4 day to Key West and Cozumel.

I know you can't take cameras when you do the behind the scenes tour of the ship but can you have a camera for the kitchen tour part? My husband runs a kitchen for a large nursing home and I think he would really enjoy this.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by jentstl
forgot to add question

You can book in advance. You just email the steakhouse of the cruise your on or you can email John Hearld and he will take care of it. You don't need to rush to get on the ship if you don't book early. Just go to guest services when you get on and they will handle it.

Thanks SPKEMO! I used my friend Google and found the email to send my request and have already received a response back. Just waiting on the shipboard staff to respond.

A few more questions for you brilliant people:

- I see that this sells out a lot so could I be SOL for a Sept 25th sailing?

- Do they provide you tip envelopes for the staff that waits on you that night?

A few questions about the Chef's Table:

Is this something I can book before we get on the ship? When I called to put my deposit down the lady on the phone mentioned emailing someone to do that but she never provided the email address.

If not is this something that I should pay extra to get on board early so I can book it right away?

What day of the cruise is it normally held on? We are on Victory for a 4 day to Key West and Cozumel.

I know you can't take cameras when you do the behind the scenes tour of the ship but can you have a camera for the kitchen tour part? My husband runs a kitchen for a large nursing home and I think he would really enjoy this.

Thanks in advance!

You can request it ahead of time here:

http://johnhealdsblog.com/ask-john

Thanks SPKEMO! I used my friend Google and found the email to send my request and have already received a response back. Just waiting on the shipboard staff to respond.

A few more questions for you brilliant people:

- I see that this sells out a lot so could I be SOL for a Sept 25th sailing?

- Do they provide you tip envelopes for the staff that waits on you that night?

You will be fine. Sell outs usually take place once you get on board.

No tip envelope. You pay for the CT after you're finished with the meal on your sign and sail card. You can just tip off that or, bring cash and tip directly. Either way it goes into a pool and gets distributed.