Appeal of Megaships?

I've been curious, particularly recently after reading that the cruise lines are expecting Bermuda to widen the channel at St. George's and dredge the harbor to allow their megaships to berth there, what is the appeal of them?

Now, I have sailed on two ships at over 100,000grt and I can't say I despised them in the least, but my question is why does a ship that is tremendous, among the largest in the cruise market have so much appeal with the average customer? What do they have that the smaller- mid-sized ships don't. Please enlighten a passenger ship enthusiast from a mass market cruiser's perspective.

Hmm, ice skating rink is one thing that comes to mind.

Definitely, lots more variety and options. If you want to have fun with your kids, there is plenty of areas to do that, but there are still lots of adult areas if you don't want to be around kids.

I liked that I had all the amenities of a huge ship but that there was always a quiet space to sit and chat. I don't know how they do that.

I also think the entertainment budget escalates when the guest count does. Their shows were incredible and not as cheesy as I was expecting.

we love the big ships because there are more things to do- love the promenade, mini golf, in-line skating, rock climbing wall, ice show, and everything else the voyager class offers - sure we will love the freedom of the seas too-

less oil, gas, whatever staining the water since one ship carries 4000 folks to spend money there. Sooner than 4 ships with 1000 each.

That's what the cruise line loves, not so much the passengers. ;) Of course, it's nice to save fuel- though I wish I had some exact figures on the fuel consumption to see how much of a difference it makes, but I don't.

I personally don't care for some of the new amenities. Ice skating made for a good show, but it will never be a selling point on a cruise for me. I live in NJ- I can ice skate for free in the Winter, or pay a small amount to go to a rec center. The latter goes for rock-climbing, too, but cruise ships of just about any size can accomodate a rock climbing wall. The Promenade (which I did like, though again- not a selling point) has been featured on some smaller ferries in the Baltic, too, I believe. Same goes for minigolf, doesn't need loads of space. Even all of this is fine and dandy with me overall, I can understand have some megaships as the icing on the cake for the cruiseline's fleet- but I do not understand why now they're being built almost exclusively. The smallest major newbuilds on the way are Pride of Hawaii, Queen Victoria, Noordam and a pair of 90,000grt MSC ships. I think in the cruise lines attempts at attracting new customers, they're abandoning their previous clientele, in a way. Some of the simple pleasures of cruising that once were are being cleared away somewhat to make room for things to attract first-timers and a new breed of guests. Royal Caribbean is a particular offender, their brochures seem to completely downplay the fact that you're on a ship at sea! Though if I seem like I'm going on a rant, I will say I enjoyed Mariner of the Seas. Carnival Triumph wasn't quite as nice- but OK, I suppose.

I personally am not a fan of mega-ships, and think that any ship that is too large for the Panama Canal is too damned big![/Quote]

So I'm not alone?! :)

We did the Mariner, and while we had a nice cruise, we are now back to the Radiance Class of ships. We much prefer that size, you still have to rock climbing wall, min. golf, etc. And I really have no desire to go on the Freedom unless someone gives me a free cruise. I just like the ones that can transit the canal also.

Conte Biancomano

I think in the cruise lines attempts at attracting new customers, they're abandoning their previous clientele, in a way. Some of the simple pleasures of cruising that once were are being cleared away somewhat to make room for things to attract first-timers and a new breed of guests. Royal Caribbean is a particular offender, their brochures seem to completely downplay the fact that you're on a ship at sea!

I'm with you! I don't care for the mega-ships (just a personal preference). Way too many people. I prefer the mid-size ships. If I want to go ice-skating or to a movie, I'll do that at home! I'm on a cruise and I want to know I'm at sea!!!!!

And RCCL's brochures have been a major disappointment to me for the past few years. Not enough pictures of the ships themselves--I want to see the ship, not a picture of some kid swimming underwater..........

again, just my $.02 worth! ;)

I like them because it is a different ship. I don't want to have to cruise on the same ship (or it's sister ships) all the time. I have done several smaller ships so now I just wanted to try a big one.

My opinion, I think the bigger ships are a draw for people with children. There is more to entertain the kids with.

Originally posted by Conte Biancomano:

The Promenade (which I did like, though again- not a selling point) has been featured on some smaller ferries in the Baltic, too, I believe.

The central promenade was created by the shipyards in Finland and originally introduced on Silja Symphony and Silja Serenade in the early 90's. These are 3000-passenger ferries operated on the Stockholm-Helsinki route. Details at: www.silja.com These ships are just like a regular cruise ship except they have a car deck.

BobK/Orlando

just off: Sea Princess

I have done the

Viking Serenade 2 times

Adventure 1 time

Enchantment 2 times

Brilliance 1 time

Empress 1 time

Navigator will be done twice in September of 2006

I love each and every ship I have sailed with RCCL and I believe they each have something unique. But, I LOVE the promenade on the mega ships.

I think the things I like best about the mega-ships are more about improved design over older ships than features like the skating rink or mini golf. I love the Promenade on the Voyager class ships. The design of the pool areas and sun decks were better on the AOS than the other ships we've been on. As someone said, it's a huge ship, yet there are cozy areas for chatting, sunning, virtually anything you might want to do while on vacation.

On the other hand, there are a lot of islands which cannot be accessed by these mega-ships, and I think that should be preserved as much as possible.

That's what the cruise line loves, not so much the passengers. ;) Of course, it's nice to save fuel- though I wish I had some exact figures on the fuel consumption to see how much of a difference it makes, but I don't.

In regards to fuel consumption, I recall the Captain of the Grandeur of the seas (a 74000 grt. ship) saying that the ship got 75 feet per gallon of fuel...

Even the V8 in my pickup gets better mileage than that... but not by much.

In regards to fuel consumption, I recall the Captain of the Grandeur of the seas (a 74000 grt. ship) saying that the ship got 75 feet per gallon of fuel...

Even the V8 in my pickup gets better mileage than that... but not by much.

Well, I remember thinking the Song of America was SO BIG...... Funny to remember. And yes, any ship, any where, any time. But I still do prefer the Radiance, Billiance, Serenade and My favorite, Jewel of the Seas. But we all have things we like that are different and that's why we all agree, we love to cruise. Right?

Of course. My gripe with the cruise lines is that in accommodating the people who want mega-ships complete with everything you'd expect in a North American recreation center and then some, they're just catering to them and not to the guests who prefer smaller ships and do not (always) want such amenities. They're not even building smaller ships to gain access to the smaller ports- like Bermuda- and the fact that they expect the government of Bermuda to make changes to accomodate berthing such ships at Hamilton and St. George's is rather ridiculous. That's what's annoying me so much about mega-ships.

Regarding Siljia Symphony & Serenade, they're 58,000grt and they can accomodate the multi-story promenade. (I like the traditional indoor and outdoor promenades just as much, if not more.) They're smaller then the Fantasy or Legend of the Seas, and they're still able to feature such a space. Just something I thought I'd note.

Archived