Permission form needed if one parent takes child on a cruise?

kay1864

you certainly dont have to have one... but I would definately not want to piss off a customs agent by playing your 'cards'. they have higher cards and could keep you for many hours in lieu of security and I doubt there would be a single thing you could do.

one group I would not mess with is customs agents. Just my opinion.

People have been asked for a letter. that IS a fact. As far as I have heard here custom agents have questioned and believed most, if not all people that have posted here. I would rather have the letter. its really not that hard to get or provide proof of the situation instead of 'playing cards' with the agents

No customs agent has ever, ever asked anything about who the child was with me. We have 2 different last names. She is 8. You say it "IS" as fact that people have been asked for a letter---who has been--except for the lady above at the airport--who then took her boyfriend (NOT the childs father) to get a letter saying is the father.

Thousands and thousands of people travel every single week--alone with their children, Most people have never even heard of bringing a letter. This just doesnt happen--why scare people into thinking they will be stopped and hassled.

I am leaving on July 5th for my 7th cruise--just me and my daughter--no letter needed. She has a passport card--that is what she needs. I am her mother, that is all they need.

Do you really think some notarized letter holds ANY weight---as was stated above--the lady got a guy who is not the father to write a letter saying he is. Now anyone can do that---NO notarized letter proves anything--its not proof in anyway shape or form.

I am not sure that Customs Agents are even responsible for knowing whos child is whos. They check citizenship requirements and ask you about stuff you have bought or are bringing back. If I am wrong on that, I would like to see that in an official writing. I have googled it and cant find anything from them that says they ask for some letter for kids. I am a facts person, not a scare mongerer. Why make people think they have to jump through these hoops (especially if there is no other parent even to be found--ei, they took off)

Edited by bingomamma19

I am not trying to scare anyone. Why are you trying to drive people away from what Carnival recommends?

And I have been on this site for many years and have read cases where the letter was asked for. I hope they post here on this.

is it rare.. yup. is it likely you will be asked for it... nope. COULD you be asked for it... Yes.

you certainly dont have to have one... but I would definately not want to piss off a customs agent by playing your 'cards'. they have higher cards and could keep you for many hours in lieu of security and I doubt there would be a single thing you could do.

one group I would not mess with is customs agents. Just my opinion.

People have been asked for a letter. that IS a fact. As far as I have heard here custom agents have questioned and believed most, if not all people that have posted here. I would rather have the letter. its really not that hard to get or provide proof of the situation instead of 'playing cards' with the agents

OH I agree with you 100 %. Never went on a cruise with all my kids (2 from my first marriage , 2 from DWs ) and now they are all adults so it isn't an issue for us .

But we did take DDs best friend with us on the Miracle a few years back and immediately. As soon as they saw the friend had a different name than ours they asked for the parental forms (which we had) , and in no time we were on our way.

I have taken my nephew on 7 cruises, and I always have a notarized letter. Carnival has never asked for it maybe because we have the same last name. In Cozumel, they have asked for it several times. Also, last year while debarking the ship back in Miami, a customs agent searched all of our bags, and asked for the notarized letter and looked at it in detail.

WE are taking our grandchildren on a cruise on July 6, the Dream from New Orleans. We were told we needed a letter from our son (who has primary custody) but it need not be notarized. Do we need to it notarized?. Dennis

It is recommended

Do they check every single person, every single time? NO......But they do check and a lot more than one of the posters seems to think. And there have been many posts on various threads throughout the years saying so It is something that is better to be safe than sorry and have , than to not have.

WE are taking our grandchildren on a cruise on July 6, the Dream from New Orleans. We were told we needed a letter from our son (who has primary custody) but it need not be notarized. Do we need to it notarized?. Dennis

I dont want to get into semantics with some on this board so I will say that if you feel inclined to take the letter (remember its recommended not required) , then it should be notarized.

I have taken my nephew on 7 cruises, and I always have a notarized letter. Carnival has never asked for it maybe because we have the same last name. In Cozumel, they have asked for it several times. Also, last year while debarking the ship back in Miami, a customs agent searched all of our bags, and asked for the notarized letter and looked at it in detail.

Exactly where in cozumel was you asked for this letter?

How would anyone is cozumel know who was traveling with who? How would they even know who were traveling with minors not accompanied by both parents? At the aiport, yes, they know, but I would like to know who is doing the asking and where they are stationed.

Our first cruise my sister took her daughter and knowing about my problem she had the letter. We must have spent 2 hours looking for someone to show it to. Noone wanted to see it. She never took another letter because we were told then it was only needed if you were staying in mexico.

I have just been on the phone with border control. They had no answer when I asked why people were being asked for it on their return. The USA has no requirement for such a letter. When I asked what would happen if you did not have the letter or had it but was unable to locate it, I was told the parties may be questioned to find out the traveling situation. But I think I was just getting government speak because she went on and on about child abduction but when I asked why it mattered if you were returning to the country and shouldn't that be checked upfront, I confused them. So basically, no real answer. If I can remember, i am going to call again tomorrow and try to talk to someone else.

I read the document and noticed that it says "sole custody." Would this still be necessary if you have joint custody? Thanks!

This is the letter I use since her father has sole custody, if the child is under joint custody agreement you could change the wording and have a second signature line for each parent.

I also carry a copy of his divorce decree to prove he has sole custody.

tammi

You say it "IS" as fact that people have been asked for a letter---who has been--

I have taken my daughter's best friend on 2 carnival and one NCL cruise. On all 3 I have been asked for the letter at check in (now she has a different last name) and they all took copies of my notorized letter as well as her father's divorce decree showing he had full custody.

I will be taking her with us in 10 days on the Freedom and have my notorized letter in hand with copy of divorce decree. I want to be prepared if they do ask again and not put our cruise at risk and not being able to take her.

I guess it is a personal choice, I for one would rather be over prepared and not have any issues if they ask.

Tam

Just returned from RCI "Oasis of the Seas" out of Port everglades in Ft. Lauderdale, Fl.

When embarking the RCI Agent did not ask for any paperwork other than our passport for my DD with the same last name. No questions regarding her mom or anything about any paperwork from her. I did have a notarized travel release with me.

My DW has a different last name than her DD and when we showed the agent just the passports she immediately got up and went to her supervisor without even asking us anything. Then came back with the supervisor to whom we showed a color photocopy of her birth certificate to. She then had to put in an okay for us to travel in the computer. It was not a hassle at all, but if we did not have the copy of her birth certificate she would not have been able to board.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sorry didn't finish

We sailed to Labadee Haiti, Falmouth Jamaica and Cozumel. We did not have to show any ID other than our Sea Card at any port. They did tell you to take picture ID At all ports of call. In Cozumel you must show your Sea Card at 3 different areas before boarding. All have security checkpoints with X-ray machines and metal detectors.

Just returned from RCI "Oasis of the Seas" out of Port everglades in Ft. Lauderdale, Fl.

When embarking the RCI Agent did not ask for any paperwork other than our passport for my DD with the same last name. No questions regarding her mom or anything about any paperwork from her. I did have a notarized travel release with me.

My DW has a different last name than her DD and when we showed the agent just the passports she immediately got up and went to her supervisor without even asking us anything. Then came back with the supervisor to whom we showed a color photocopy of her birth certificate to. She then had to put in an okay for us to travel in the computer. It was not a hassle at all, but if we did not have the copy of her birth certificate she would not have been able to board.

Yes, she would have been able to board--she has a valid passport. If anything, they may have asked what the relationship is, then moved along. I never travel with my dd's birth certificate---she is 8 and has her fathers last name--not same as mine. Never an issue. No letter, no bc. Just the passport card, as is one of the requirements to travel.

People are going to start thinking they need a passport, birth certificate, notoraized letter, family photos and a formal family tree etc. just to go on a cruise with their child. It is your child, you have a right to go on vacation with your child.

Edited by bingomamma19

Yes, she would have been able to board--she has a valid passport. If anything, they may have asked what the relationship is, then moved along. I never travel with my dd's birth certificate---she is 8 and has her fathers last name--not same as mine. Never an issue. No letter, no bc. Just the passport card, as is one of the requirements to travel.

People are going to start thinking they need a passport, birth certificate, notoraized letter, family photos and a formal family tree etc. just to go on a cruise with their child. It is your child, you have a right to go on vacation with your child.

Agreed it is our right to travel, but may also be their right to refuse passage. Just sharing my experience from last week at this port, with this cruise line. Others may have different experiences which is why we are all sharing our own. If you find this information useless just disregard.

I was asked when I sailed on RCCL and they made copies. I made sure to have a permission form from my kids dad (we are divorced) and also my son's friend that he brought. I also had a notarized form giving us permission to make emergency decisions for the friend if necessary.

When I took my daughter to Canada I also took a form from her dad. We are sailing on Disney in Feb and although she will have a passport I will again have the form. It is not hard for me to get as we are on good terms and I would rather be safe than sorry.

These were my experiences only. I have never taken my kids on a Carnival cruise so I can't speak for them.

It is your child, you have a right to go on vacation with your child.

what happens if you dont. What happens if a father takes his daughter to Mexico or somewhere else instead of taking her to her mom? what happens if a mother doesnt let a childs father see then when they are supposed to.

How is a customs agent supposed to know IF you have a right to go on vacation with your child without the child's other parent?

If there was a kidnapping, would you be the first to say 'where was the customs agents when we needed them?'

Not everything is cut and dry and if they recommend that you have a letter, I dont think that is such a hard thing to follow.

what happens if you dont. What happens if a father takes his daughter to Mexico or somewhere else instead of taking her to her mom? what happens if a mother doesnt let a childs father see then when they are supposed to.

How is a customs agent supposed to know IF you have a right to go on vacation with your child without the child's other parent?

If there was a kidnapping, would you be the first to say 'where was the customs agents when we needed them?'

Not everything is cut and dry and if they recommend that you have a letter, I dont think that is such a hard thing to follow.

Again, how is a note --notorized or not--going to PROVE you are the absent parent when it is shown to someone. Anyone can write a note and say they are the kids mom or dad. How is a customs agent going to prove who wrote the letter?

But if that makes people feel like their kid is safe from being kidnapped, ok.

Also the post I was replying to said the cruiseline would not have let the kid on with her mom if they didn't have a copy of the birth certificate along (even though they had a valid passport for her) there was no parental note. So how does that make sense. Ever heard of needing a valid passport AND a birth certificate--how is that going to stop a parental kidnapping?

Again, how is a note --notorized or not--going to PROVE you are the absent parent when it is shown to someone. Anyone can write a note and say they are the kids mom or dad. How is a customs agent going to prove who wrote the letter?

But if that makes people feel like their kid is safe from being kidnapped, ok.

Also the post I was replying to said the cruiseline would not have let the kid on with her mom if they didn't have a copy of the birth certificate along (even though they had a valid passport for her) there was no parental note. So how does that make sense. Ever heard of needing a valid passport AND a birth certificate--how is that going to stop a parental kidnapping?

you can look at this as ridiculous and outrageous if you choose to and poke all the holes you want. People have been asked for the letter and without it , things can get more difficult. so whats what big deal? why are you so opposed to doing what they recommend?

All I said was this is what happened to us:

RCI - Port Everglades, Ft. Lauderdale, FL

At boarding the attendant did not even say a word when she saw a different last name for our DD. She got up and brought back her supervisor. We handed the copy of the birth certificate to the supervisor who okayed her to board. I am not 100% sure what would have happened if we did not have that with us. I have heard of people being refused boarding without the required documentation.

So it is my opinion that if you can get the paperwork, get it. Cover every possible scenario and you will always be able to board. If they don't ask for it, great. If they do, hand it over. Nothing would be worse then watching your ship sail from the departure dock.

My daughter is divorced and has joint custody. However there is a court order stating father can't see child until age 18. Court order also states mom does not need fathers permission to travel outside of US. Is this enough with passport, birth certificate, marriage and divorce decree? It is not possible to get notarized letter from father as no contact in last 5 yrs per court order. I know we may not be asked for anything but just trying to be prepared in case they do ask.

Edited by Minnie42