Beware over 18 allowed in O2 club

jenndun

Actually ...no,your daughter's admission has nothing to do with being a high school senior. She is able to get in because she was still 17 when she starts the cruise.

Age Policy

Carnival’s policy is to group children together according to their age. Our Youth Program age policies are in place so that we can provide participants with age appropriate activities and so they can mingle with other minors of similar age. The age is determined according to the child’s birth date which is provided from documentation received at embarkation.

Exclusivity – 15-17 year olds Only

Club O2 is designed specifically for 15-17 year olds, which means no kids and no adults. The lounge creates a safe and comfortable environment for our teen guests, with activities teens enjoy doing with their peers. There is no smoking or alcohol allowed in these lounges. It is all about fun and

entertainment.

Again,I am not denying that there are instances when 18 and 19 year old adults are hanging around Club O2, I am simply saying that by design Carnival tries to make this a place for 15-17 year olds Only.

Actually, what we were told is that even at 18, IF you are still a senior in high school you can participate in Club O2. Our son turned 18 in January, had we cruised in say, February, he could have participated because he was still in high school. Straight from two different Carnival PVP's, and the counselors there, I would assume that is a company wide policy as well.

IF a 15 year old girl talking to an older boys is that much of an issue, I can only assume it has something to do with the parents not preparing a young girl for attention from boys. My son is 18, he talks to 15 year olds, his younger brother's friends. No, he doesn't date them-he is leaving soon for the miliatary-but I'm not worried about his intentions, because we are aware of his actions, we taught him to respect young women, or we hope we did!

Actually, what we were told is that even at 18, IF you are still a senior in high school you can participate in Club O2. Our son turned 18 in January, had we cruised in say, February, he could have participated because he was still in high school. Straight from two different Carnival PVP's, and the counselors there, I would assume that is a company wide policy as well.

Hm ,sounds like we are getting different answers from different sources. I did call Carnival and they told me that they are strict and go by the ages and if one is 18 whether in high school or not they won't be let in.

Hm ,sounds like we are getting different answers from different sources. I did call Carnival and they told me that they are strict and go by the ages and if one is 18 whether in high school or not they won't be let in.

If they are able to provide a school issued form of identification, they will have no problem getting approval to go to Club O2. If they don't have proof, it will be at the discretion of the counselors. If they're no longer in school, they're not allowed to attend. You can't rely on information from a Carnival CSR, especially when inconsistencies are shown whenever someone calls them. And yes, a PVP is just a glorified CSR.

If they are able to provide a school issued form of identification, they will have no problem getting approval to go to Club O2. If they don't have proof, it will be at the discretion of the counselors. If they're no longer in school, they're not allowed to attend. You can't rely on information from a Carnival CSR, especially when inconsistencies are shown whenever someone calls them. And yes, a PVP is just a glorified CSR.

That's what we figured. On our second cruise a young lady had just turned 18, but was still a senior and they let her participate.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

At "the door", based on my kids encounters, a HS kid can get in. It's not an issue.

There are shades of grey in the world. There are shades of grey on Carnival. A few days/weeks or even months here or there doesn't flip a switch on a person. It's not a law, consider it a guideline.

Edited by fuddrules

Did you just erase your young men and raging hormones post?

Cause, I have to say, please don't tell me that ANYONE here assumes it's only boys with raging hormones.

That's exactly right, don't forget the old men :D

I agree with Mrs CruisinCritter getting contact with the other parent. I went through this type of crap with my daughter's friends. The mother was totally oblivious to what was going on, she was a single working parent and the daughter was a master liar. Problem is I had the goods on her when it was too late and it was the hardest thing I ever had to do but I'll never regret doing it.

But when you do it, don't accuse the girl to her parents. Just tell her you need to give her the info, while it may be nothing, it could be important and you would feel terrible if you couldn't do anything to prevent it. Than tell her everything you can.

OP..... I agree with you , I would try and get ahold of the parents of this young lady to fill them in. No matter how she met this guy it sounds alarming that he would drive such a distance to visit her. Young girls are often victims of this kind of thing so do what you feel needs to be done.

Just out of curiosity, are you sure he is actually going to drive out? Boys will say all kinds of things for the attention of a young girl, especially in a situation where they are competing for attention. Add to that , this sounds like someone they met on the cruise not a close friend. IF that is the case and you don't know the entire story perhaps you are jumping the gun a bit. Add to that how do we know it isn't the girl perusing him. Lord, I've seen some of these young girls with my older boys.

Situations like this always irk me. We get one side of the story and assume it's the boy that's the bad guy! Just look at some of the comments here.

Not saying he isn't pursuing her, just saying don't put it all on the boy. Kids are much more progressive than I think parents realize

Just out of curiosity, are you sure he is actually going to drive out? Boys will say all kinds of things for the attention of a young girl, especially in a situation where they are competing for attention. Add to that , this sounds like someone they met on the cruise not a close friend. IF that is the case and you don't know the entire story perhaps you are jumping the gun a bit. Add to that how do we know it isn't the girl perusing him. Lord, I've seen some of these young girls with my older boys.

Situations like this always irk me. We get one side of the story and assume it's the boy that's the bad guy! Just look at some of the comments here.

Not saying he isn't pursuing her, just saying don't put it all on the boy. Kids are much more progressive than I think parents realize

It's probably a bit of each. I just hope she becomes aware of what's going on. It could be all talk on the guy's end, but as a parent I wouldn't want to take a chance. It's needs to be stopped before it's started or all hell could break loose.

That's what we figured. On our second cruise a young lady had just turned 18, but was still a senior and they let her participate.

Thanks for the info,important to bring a high school ID then !

I've seen some of these young girls with my older boys.

Even if this is the case the girl is jail bait for him and he should know better and if he doesn't he needs someone to help him not to make a life changing mistake if he were to go along with getting involved with her.

This is what I do know...yes, they will let older kids (adults) in. My son was 19, a sr. in high school.

Do I believe the OP's daughter. Absolutely. Why? Because she showed genuine concern for her new friend's well being by alerting her mother.

Do 15 yr old and 20 yr olds date? Sure. should they? Heck no!

At those ages, they are worlds apart...or they should be. And remember this, 20 you are not a child...you are an adult! OP said almost 20, that means 19...still, one should worry about someone of that age willing to make such a long drive to meet a teen girl to "date". It's a bit unreasonable.

I would certainly contact the parents plain and simple.

This may be completely innocent, or this could be grooming.

My daughter was the victim of an aggravated sexual assault. I spent quite a while learning how these people work. This could be completely innocent, or not. I'm a gambler...but NEVER willing to gamble with a child's well being. Are you? I would notify the parents and if unable to do that, I'd call the police simple as that. Maybe I'm biased, or maybe I just have a little more insight and personal knowledge on it. At 15, I put the gray hairs on my mother's head. I know what a 15 yr. old can do. It scares me. OP, please follow your gut!

This is the correct information. Well put!

This is also true.

My DS just turned 19. On our last cruse we took him (he was 17) and his BFF (who was then 18). I had a key to their cabin. I went in one morning because I had left some makeup in the DS's backpack, which I had forgotten about until I needed it. What do I see on top of their dresser but a note from a couple of girls asking the boys to come by their cabin later so they could "hook up". I was PO'd! I tore up the note. Not an hour later, I pass by the boy's cabin on the way to the pool...and taped to the door is another note from another girl telling them she and her girlfriends were having a party in their cabin that night and for them to stop by at 11p. That note got dumped by me also. I had told the boys that since the BFF was 18, he had better not be fooling around with underage girls. He said he knew that as his mother had drilled it into his head. They didn't have to worry about messing with younger girls because a 20 yr-old and her 25 yr. old girlfriend were wanting to hang out with them. These kids are so much more advanced than I ever was. But like I said in another post...age doesn't determine a person's level of maturity. Like I also said I met my DH at a birthday party when he was 18 and I was 24. I didn't find out his age until we had been dating for about a month. I was way more immature than him as I had been brought up very, strictly by my parents (I wasn't allowed to move from home until I was 22). 40+ years later...we're still together from the day we met we've been inseparable.

Parents have to teach and be vigilant at all times. You just have to stay on top of things.

Edited by mousey

This is what I do know...yes, they will let older kids (adults) in. My son was 19, a sr. in high school.

Do I believe the OP's daughter. Absolutely. Why? Because she showed genuine concern for her new friend's well being by alerting her mother.

Do 15 yr old and 20 yr olds date? Sure. should they? Heck no!

At those ages, they are worlds apart...or they should be. And remember this, 20 you are not a child...you are an adult! OP said almost 20, that means 19...still, one should worry about someone of that age willing to make such a long drive to meet a teen girl to "date". It's a bit unreasonable.

I would certainly contact the parents plain and simple.

This may be completely innocent, or this could be grooming.

My daughter was the victim of an aggravated sexual assault. I spent quite a while learning how these people work. This could be completely innocent, or not. I'm a gambler...but NEVER willing to gamble with a child's well being. Are you? I would notify the parents and if unable to do that, I'd call the police simple as that. Maybe I'm biased, or maybe I just have a little more insight and personal knowledge on it. At 15, I put the gray hairs on my mother's head. I know what a 15 yr. old can do. It scares me. OP, please follow your gut!

I understand what you are saying, being a survivor of sexual assault as I prefer to call myself ( as opposed to a victim) I learned one thing- not every predator is the same. You don't learn how they work! You pick up on the signs , but every single one is different, every single one has their own MO .

I'm not saying this girl is lying to her mother. But that doesn't mean the friend isn't lying to the girl. Older boy=status at that age .

Nor does it mean that the kids aren't just wasting some time and chatting. It also doesn't mean the parents don't already know about it and for some reason are ok with it. There are too many variables, and mom is only hearing one side from someone else that is only hearing about it from one side.

I'm not saying don't talk to the parents, BUT why are we so quick to say this boy is a horrible human being? Is go with immature and possibly stupid which is a problem all in itself.

Honestly, I'd talk to the girl myself. Get a feel for the situation that way. If she still has a bad feeling tell the young lady that if she won't tell her parents , you will and then follow through. All I'm saying is go about it without preconceived notions that one has all the answers and you know exactly what's up, because it doesn't sound as if the OP or her daughter knows the situation in it's entirety.

Hi

I understand what you are saying, being a survivor of sexual assault as I prefer to call myself ( as opposed to a victim) I learned one thing- not every predator is the same. You don't learn how they work! You pick up on the signs , but every single one is different, every single one has their own MO .

I'm not saying this girl is lying to her mother. But that doesn't mean the friend isn't lying to the girl. Older boy=status at that age .

Nor does it mean that the kids aren't just wasting some time and chatting. It also doesn't mean the parents don't already know about it and for some reason are ok with it. There are too many variables, and mom is only hearing one side from someone else that is only hearing about it from one side.

I'm not saying don't talk to the parents, BUT why are we so quick to say this boy is a horrible human being? Is go with immature and possibly stupid which is a problem all in itself.

Honestly, I'd talk to the girl myself. Get a feel for the situation that way. If she still has a bad feeling tell the young lady that if she won't tell her parents , you will and then follow through. All I'm saying is go about it without preconceived notions that one has all the answers and you know exactly what's up, because it doesn't sound as if the OP or her daughter knows the situation in it's entirety.

Hi

I've been following this thread and maybe I'm wrong but I don't believe I've seen anyone call the boy a "horrible human being". A 19 year old is considered a adult and he/she could get into legal trouble by "dating" a 15 yr. old. You seem to be hung up on boys being labeled but I've seen posts stating that girls are the predators. There are male/female predators out there and I think it would be wise for the OP to contact the girls parents. My feeling is "better safe than sorry".

I've been following this thread and maybe I'm wrong but I don't believe I've seen anyone call the boy a "horrible human being". A 19 year old is considered a adult and he/she could get into legal trouble by "dating" a 15 yr. old. You seem to be hung up on boys being labeled but I've seen posts stating that girls are the predators. There are male/female predators out there and I think it would be wise for the OP to contact the girls parents. My feeling is "better safe than sorry".

I'm not hung up on anything. What I am is a parent and I've seen it go both ways. And since this is a he said/she said kind of thing, yeah I think the OP's post is a tad misleading. My 20 year old son can't just walk into Club O2, something more is going on. Simple as that. The OP makes it seem like a 30 year could waltz in and start partying. And yes-sarcasm again- but hopefully you get the point about a misleading subject

But my questioning stems from the idea that this girls parents need to be warned and something horrible is going in-sarcasm, in case it wasn't clear-and there have been a few posts saying boys this age can be predators, etc, etched. All kids at any age over five can be bullies/predators. My point was don't limit it to this being the boys fault.

And to be clear-just because I respond doesn't mean I'm hung up on anything. It's summer, my kids sleep in and this is a way to amuse myself- probably just like everyone else here

Edited by Xina143

We were on the Magic earlier this month. Had a great cruise. My 15 year old had a blast with the O2 club. Made friends that she is still talking to. I never worried much since it was 15-17 in O2 club and supposedly supervised. I found out last night that one of the boys she meet in the club and was still texting and talking to was actually turning 20 soon. I asked where on the ship she meet him and she explained that he was in the O2 club every day hanging out with them. He told them he didn't like people his own age so he'd go hang out with them. According to her there was another guy the same age hanging out part time in there with them. The scary thing is he is supposedly dating another 15 year old he meet on the cruise and making plans with her to go see her. My daughter decided to tell me about it when she found out the other girl she meet and talks to daily is dating him and planing on meeting up with him as soon as she can. It's very scary to think about. I just wanted to let everyone know our experience so your not as trusting of the O2 club as I was. I should have been more aware of the ages of the kids my daughter was hanging out with. I'm not sure what carnival's policy is on age limits or how they enforce it but it was not enforced on our cruise.

I think you should have a talk with your daughter about slowing or ceasing contact with the so called friends on line and spend more time with her "in life" friends she has daily contact with. Stop investing your time getting involved with something you have no control over and don't even know if it's real.

What do I see on top of their dresser but a note from a couple of girls asking the boys to come by their cabin later so they could "hook up". I was PO'd!

Just curious how you know this was from young girls and not a couple of Cougars or Twilight Moms?

I think you should have a talk with your daughter about slowing or ceasing contact with the so called friends on line and spend more time with her "in life" friends she has daily contact with. Stop investing your time getting involved with something you have no control over and don't even know if it's real.

REALLY! Why are you giving the OP crap? Her daughter is doing the right thing and coming forward with this info. Daughter did nothing wrong. Parent wants to help another parent and this is what you have to say. Guessing you don't have kids or you just don't give a crap about anyone elses kids.