Alternative Photo ID

CaveDiving

If you need an ID for why do you have to copy the passport? Why just not make a scan of your driver license and laminate that? It would already by right size etc?

I would just be careful when outside USA. If you require a 'government issued' for ID purposes some countries may not take a photocopy.

If you are required a Government 'ISSUE' it does not mean a 'COPY'.
I've often wondered about (but never tried) using an expired driver's license. It IS an original government issued document, not a copy, even though it is no longer valid to drive with. I think I'll try that on some cruise ... but also have a current ID too just in case someone does notice and object! :) Edited by catl331

OK... here is a good 'possibility'....

How much does it cost for a Driver's License?

No reason why you can't your DML... if I have the right place... just ask for two.... both originals or if I loose a license I need to ask for a new one. Valid for ten years? How much? $30?

Hey, I lost my license. When getting the replacement the person said, "Do you need a new photo?" Without I really thinking I just said, "No matter. Just what is fastest." It was... all computer so in a second I had a replacement.... and with a photograph that was at least eight years.... younger!!! ;-) This was in Bermuda. My license dated 1974. I have not driven a car from the day I got the license!!! I'm a biker. Well... scooter. :D

While a reduced size laminated copy of the first two pages of your passport might look neat, I am not sure it would be useful for some of the times you need your passport or a copy of it. For example, if you want to change money at a Chinese or Japanese bank in those countries, you need either your passport or a copy of it. They then make a copy of it for their records. I have always been able to use a copy of my passport that I always carry in my wallet as the ship often holds our passports onboard. Folded, it is as small as a credit card. Also useful to have with you when booking a flight online. If you need a copy while cruising, I have found that the front desk would be pleased to make a copy for you.

While a reduced size laminated copy of the first two pages of your passport might look neat, I am not sure it would be useful for some of the times you need your passport or a copy of it. For example, if you want to change money at a Chinese or Japanese bank in those countries, you need either your passport or a copy of it. They then make a copy of it for their records. I have always been able to use a copy of my passport that I always carry in my wallet as the ship often holds our passports onboard. Folded, it is as small as a credit card. Also useful to have with you when booking a flight online. If you need a copy while cruising, I have found that the front desk would be pleased to make a copy for you.

HECTOR!!! Interesting ship. What did you do on board? Better ports than when with HAL! ;-)

Stephen

We have not had an issue using the passport credit card in any port as ID and also use the passport in US airports. Seems like only US airports will not accept the passport cards - which is weird as they come from the state department.

I am confused: was your US passport card accepted or not accepted at US airports?

HECTOR!!! Interesting ship. What did you do on board? Better ports than when with HAL! ;-)

Stephen

The HECTOR was a Navy Repair Ship. I was the Electronics Repair Officer. The ports were "interesting" such as Vung Tau where we repaired Vietnamese Navy ships and Da Nang where we repaired U.S. Navy ships and Hong Kong where we had R&R and a chance to spend the extra tax free money we earned in a war zone. I think I enjoy my time with HAL more.

The HECTOR was a Navy Repair Ship. I was the Electronics Repair Officer. The ports were "interesting" such as Vung Tau where we repaired Vietnamese Navy ships and Da Nang where we repaired U.S. Navy ships and Hong Kong where we had R&R and a chance to spend the extra tax free money we earned in a war zone. I think I enjoy my time with HAL more.

Thanks. Must have been interseting 'duty'... and I see you were also on similar repair ships.

Of course I was Merchant Marine (UK) and most of the ships I had had great ports and trade routes... cargo ships, reefer ships, and 'some' tankers... nah... hate tankers. Reefers were best.

Again, thanks. You should: shipsnostalgia dot com 85,000 members.. worldwide... mostly seafarers. Interesting and definitely nonPC!

Stephen

I am confused: was your US passport card accepted or not accepted at US airports?

When the passport cards first came out, we would run into TSA peeps who didn't know what they were. (Builds confidence!) That hasn't happened in several years though. The TSA is familiar with the cards now and we've never had a problem, even in small regional airports.

When the passport cards first came out, we would run into TSA peeps who didn't know what they were. (Builds confidence!) That hasn't happened in several years though. The TSA is familiar with the cards now and we've never had a problem, even in small regional airports.

Thanks for the explanation!

On our last cruise we had our first exoerience with using an Enhanced Drivers License on a cruise out of Florida. On our way to JFK just hours before things would shut down due to a snow storm my partner announced that he did not have his passport. Turn back home and miss the flight?! Luckily I remembered I encouraged him to renew with an EDL. They did not even bat an eyelid at embarjation or debarkation. Phew!

The Seattle cruise port will not accept a copy of passport as proof of citizenship. This is from personal experience.

I also believe that they will not accept an altered Gov't issued Id either. It has to be an original.

You can use a passport card, but you cannot use this to fly out of International country. Only a passport book is acceptable when flying out another country into the US.

I would suggest checking with US Custom Border Patrol or the country Custom Border Services that you are visiting before going, or you may be denied boarding the cruise.