Port of Miami Questions

MrsChef

I will be driving from Tennessee to Miami in November for my cruise on the Conquest. I don't like to fly and certainly don't like the prices. For those who make the trip via car- do you rent a car so you can drop it off and not have to pay the $20/day parking or do you drive your own vehicle and pay that fee?

I've also seen where there are other parking services near the port for much cheaper. What are the pros/cons of parking off of the port at one of these locations?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Here's my suggestion. I have worked with a major cruise for over 6 year at the Port of Miami. Having to face a $20 a day parking fee by parking just across the ship is not a nice way to end a cruise. Downtown Miami is extremely crowded and there is off-site parking but have had no need to use them. Hertz, Dollar, National, and Thrifty offer free shuttles for renters that both drop off and pick up for their locations. The only off-site company I can bring to mind is PREMIER ... I have seen departing guests having trouble reaching them for pick-up. Do a little online research. Hope I have given you a little clue as to your upcoming cruise. Lee

I'm assuming your staying in a hotel the night before the cruise? Some hotels have a park and cruise special where they let you park your car in their lot while you are on your cruise.

Yes we are planning to stay at a hotel. I will look into this, thank you.

Here's my suggestion. I have worked with a major cruise for over 6 year at the Port of Miami. Having to face a $20 a day parking fee by parking just across the ship is not a nice way to end a cruise. Downtown Miami is extremely crowded and there is off-site parking but have had no need to use them. Hertz, Dollar, National, and Thrifty offer free shuttles for renters that both drop off and pick up for their locations. The only off-site company I can bring to mind is PREMIER ... I have seen departing guests having trouble reaching them for pick-up. Do a little online research. Hope I have given you a little clue as to your upcoming cruise. Lee

So the rental car agencies would take me to the port after I drop off the rental car? And pick me up from the port as well?

I am renting a car from Budget in central Florida & they show that they have the drop off/shuttle service at the Port. Do you happen to know where this is? I haven't been to the Port of Miami since I worked on the Carnivale & Mardi Gras many, many years ago.

Thanks for the info.

How much is the drop off fee compared to the parking charges?

Bill

I checked with Budget and it appears that I can pick up the car in Lakeland (central Florida) and drop it off a the Port without a drop off charge - or at least it doesn't show an extra charge & the total for the day is right around $50 total.

Any suggestions on a particular hotel with the park and cruise?

Looking at some of them online I see they will take you to the port, but I haven't read where any mention picking you up afterward. Do you have to take a taxi back to the hotel when you return from the cruise?

I have parked, off site, at "Safe Cruise Parking", in Miami without any problems. It's about 1/2 the price of port parking, and has worked out O.K. so far. Nope, not as convenient as port parking, but once again, not far from the port, and no problems. ;)

"SKY"

I checked with Budget and it appears that I can pick up the car in Lakeland (central Florida) and drop it off a the Port without a drop off charge - or at least it doesn't show an extra charge & the total for the day is right around $50 total.

Yes you are correct. No drop off fee if you rent within the state of Florida and drop off in Florida.

Mrs Chef is driving down from Tennessee though. Not sure if there are any free drop offs if renting from one state and dropping off in another.

I think the best thing for MrsChef is to do what others have advised, which is doing a hotel stay and free parking.

Bill

Bill

Looking at some of them online I see they will take you to the port, but I haven't read where any mention picking you up afterward. Do you have to take a taxi back to the hotel when you return from the cruise?

Budget options popular on these boards include La Quinta East, Springhill Suites Medical Center and Comfort Suites North; all include a "free" shuttle to POM - and all reuqire you to taxi back to the hotel (figure about $25+).

I second that. Whenever I have checked on car rentals if you pick up in one state and drop off in another there is a fee of about $300, so in this case you would be charged twice. So better to keep the car and park it.

Hilton Downtown Miami park & cruise package with breakfast is $329

Doubletree Biscayne Bay park & transportation to the port $304

Hampton Inn Coconut Grove park & transport to the port $185

I would assume you would need to take a cab back to pick up your car.

However you can probably get a room for much less on LMT so I don't know if it is really worth it to get the parking package. If a one way rental is a reasonable price it might be your best bet.

Edited by Marie51

Yes you are correct. No drop off fee if you rent within the state of Florida and drop off in Florida.

Mrs Chef is driving down from Tennessee though. Not sure if there are any free drop offs if renting from one state and dropping off in another.

I think the best thing for MrsChef is to do what others have advised, which is doing a hotel stay and free parking.

Bill

Bill

I like how your incredibly huge signature says july 2014 on the picture.