Questions about Splendour and Canada/New England

NOSaints1

What's your thoughts on this ship and intenerary, what you like about this ship and intenerary, we're thinking on doing a couple of days before. We want to stay in Times Square how far is the port from Times Square and what airport is better to fly into. We're thinking on Oct 2015 cause we booked on a cruise for this Nov on the Valor.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm a native NYer. I did the Canada cruise as a (late) teen with my friend's family. My first cruise. Loved the cruising experience. Nova Scotia was lovely. I don't think I'd do it again now that I've done it once. I went last week of august & was chilly. I bought a sweatshirt in one of the ports. At night higher decks closed due to ice. And yet we still experienced rough seas coming home due to a hurricane coming for nova Scotia. But take my opinion with a grain of salt as I prefer warm weather cruises & vacations in general. It was still a fantastic cruise.

Airport wise I have plenty of experience with both laguardia & JFK- I'm 30-40 mins from both. Personally I choose LGA whenever possibly. Its domestic only while JFK is international. Distance wise from where I live its honestly the same except you head north for one south for the other. I suspect JFK may be closer to the port as its southern. Either airport there will be a bit if travel to times square & Manhattan.

I cannot comment on splendor as ive never5 been.

We live in Ontario and would be nice to see some of our beautiful Provinces. My sister in law did it last year and loved it. Except when they went the Government was shut down.

We live in Ontario and would be nice to see some of our beautiful Provinces. My sister in law did it last year and loved it. Except when they went the Government was shut down.

If you're looking to explore Canada then I absolutely say GO!! I remember St. John visiting histoically rich sites. i wish I could remember exactly what we did in NS. I remember it was a beautiful place tho. I also remember as a NYer being impressed at how personable the locals were.

NYC is amazing. I take it fir granted. Times Square is fun. Definitely visit! Not sure who you're traveling with but there's a huge awesome toy store. Bundles of places to eat.

Edited by Drose716

We've been on the Splendor to the Caribbean and have done the Canada itinerary three times on three different ships. We really enjoyed the Splendor, so much so that we booked it again for this October. We liked the crew, food and overall fun vibe of the ship. While we enjoyed Canada, you do tend to have a quieter cruise than on warm weather itineraries. We've done it in June, July and September. Weather was pretty warm during the day all three trips, but cool at night. Sail away out of NYC in October can be pretty chilly, so definitely watch the weather reports prior.

The port is close to Times Square by taxi, but time on that depends on traffic. As for the airports, I would choose based on most convenient, best priced flight. I've flown in/out of Newark airport more than LGA or JFK combined but they are all probably close in price if hiring a car service to the city. Not sure about other transportation options from the airport. The East Coast departures board probably would have better info on this from people who have done it as well as hotel recommendations.

NYC is an awesome place to visit. Tons of things to do and see so your plan of spending a couple of days pre-cruise is a must-do. Hope it works out for you!

We live 2 1/2 hours north of NYC and the 5-day Canada cruise was our first cruise - 10 years ago next week, in fact. We were hooked.:p We have now done 7 Canada cruises. Saint John and Halifax are two of the friendliest ports you'll ever visit. And the sailaway from NYC is the best ever - Manhattan on one side, Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island on the other (lots of other things to see on that side as well), and then sailing under the Verazzano-Narrows Bridge. New York Harbor is amazing - I've never grown tired of it.

I agree with others - fly into the airport that has the best pricing, if you're going to spend a couple of days in Midtown Manhattan ahead of time. If you stay in Times Square, you're about a 10-minute taxi ride to the port.

What's your thoughts on this ship and intenerary, what you like about this ship and intenerary, we're thinking on doing a couple of days before. We want to stay in Times Square how far is the port from Times Square and what airport is better to fly into. We're thinking on Oct 2015 cause we booked on a cruise for this Nov on the Valor.

I live in NY and do this cruise every year (have been doing it since 2000 or so) Atlantic Canada is a beautiful part of Canada (must admit I find most of Canada different and yet all wonderful, have been to Vancouver, Yukon, Montreal, Quebec and Toronto)

There are so many choices of what to do in the Port(s) its best to check out ports of call area of the forum for some great info. I find the area very clean and noncommercial with lots of history. There are lots of great parks and natural beauty.

I have walked from the Times Sq area to the Port, in fact if you stay at a hotel West of Times sq near 50 th st its very easy to walk, depending how much luggage you have. The walk across town is long blocks, but one can take the bus (M50) on 49 st to a stop across the st from the Pier. A taxi will get you to the ship in no time.

Any of one the 3 airports are easy to get to the city from, so do which ever one is easier. There are buses from Newark that go to the Times sq area, and lots of transportation from JFK & LGA.

This summer will be my first time on the Splendor.

Only thing I don't like about NYC is the Yankees. Haha, so this is all good info, so what is the ship like ? Does it have a heated pool or covered pool.

There is a roof which can be closed over the aft pool.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Done Splendor twice. Last time last October to Bahamas. Very well managed, no complaints. Did the Canada cruise 10 years ago on NCL Very different than going south. Mostly an older crowd. the ports are worth doing something. Airport? Newark is the same distance from the pier as LGA so you may want to check prices.

I loved the Splendor but when I did my Canadian cruise (5 day) we did the Victory. We went in July. We were in fog all the way up and all the way back. I found the seas very rough. The outer decks were closed both ways because of high winds. We did find it relaxing because we read and took naps and played cards but we wore pants and sweatshirts all the time. Our day in Canada was very nice and unusually warm.

We are driving in the day before and are going to stay near Times Square at either the Mayfair or Sheraton (I think). We have stayed in North Bergen, NJ (when we traveled with the kids), which is a less than 10 minute bus ride to Times Square.

If you go to Google maps and plug in the address of the hotel you are looking at and the pier address, you can get a really good idea of how long it will take (via car and walking).

I've done the Glory twice and in two weeks first time on the Pink Ship. Both times there was Fog but it would burn off most of the days. One sea day we were socked in by the Fog. On the behind the fun tour we spent very little time on the bridge because of the fog and the attention the crew needed without distractions.

Maritime Law with visibility less than 1/2 a nautical mile requires a crewman be stationed at the wheel, yes the actual wheel not the joystick, of the ship when in heavy fog so they can make that last minute turn if they don't see something. There were also extra watch standers on the radar and with binoculars and the Fog Horn sounding one long every 2 minutes.

In any case the ports are fun and we had a great time, hence even though a 4 day I'm going again.

I live 45 minutes from NYC and would love to try the Canada 5 day next year. I am worried about the crowd as I would be traveling with kids and not sure if there would be many onboard in August when we usually cruise. We always head south to cruise. Would be nice to take a short drive, park, and be onboard for a change!

I also live in Ontario, but was born many moons ago in Atlantic Canada. NF.

I have so far only cruised in the Caribbean but for the first time I am looking to do and or try something different, and for me that means either this itinerary on the Spendor, or to try a totally different cruiseline, either Caribbean or Canada and New England itin.

Even though I was born on east coast Canada, I have not been there in over 15 years, so would love to combine a cruise (which i always love) and the destinations. Also I am very much interested in visiting Boston and Portland.

So....2015, September on Splendor is of great interest to me.

I would love it...( I know I am dreaming here ) if we Canadians(east coast) had our very own cruise port, say in Montreal, Quebec City, or even Halifax. To me it would not matter which cruise line or ship, just one that cruised from May through October. We could drive to port or take the train, or fly to Halifax, decent airfare there. I know I am dreaming LOL. But I would love to see this option some day. I would love any itinerary that took us to Gaspe, PEI, west coast Newfoundland, Maine, Mass, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick....so much to see and do. I know I am dreaming. ;):p

Edited by SMSACE6

Only thing I don't like about NYC is the Yankees. Haha, so this is all good info, so what is the ship like ? Does it have a heated pool or covered pool.

I feel the same about the Yankees, but I am a Met fan ;)

We thought the food was very good and the entertainment ok. Desserts were the best I think I've had on Carnival. In fairness we didn't attend most shows, but we found some of the sea days to be lacking things to do. Comedy shows were pretty good and really liked the El Morocco lounge and the drinks there. We did think the cruise director, Malcolm, and his staff were fun at the activities we did attend.

I would love it...( I know I am dreaming here ) if we Canadians(east coast) had our very own cruise port, say in Montreal, Quebec City, or even Halifax. To me it would not matter which cruise line or ship, just one that cruised from May through October. We could drive to port or take the train, or fly to Halifax, decent airfare there. I know I am dreaming LOL. But I would love to see this option some day. I would love any itinerary that took us to Gaspe, PEI, west coast Newfoundland, Maine, Mass, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick....so much to see and do. I know I am dreaming. ;):p

I will dream along with you... I'm in NB!

I agree! Come and visit the lovely Maritime provinces!

I can assure you. We do not have ice in August....and hurricanes do not come from here...they come from the south Atlantic and move up the Atlantic coast of North America....so I am not sure where the OP was on that cruise but it wasn't here!

Late September and early August see lots of whales in the Bay of Fundy....fall colours peak in early to mid October. Saint John, NB is one of the oldest cities in North America and there is lots to do within walking distance of the pier.

I did the 7 day Canada/New England cruise on Carnival Glory the third weed of Sept in 2012. The ports were Boston, Portland, St John and Halifax. I enjoyed each port. I am not much of an excursion cruiser but I did each port on foot with a tourist map and had a great time. Each port was unique and I enjoy exploring on foot on my own. There are a lot of historical sites at each port to explore along with shopping, restaurants and bars.

I have been on Splendor out of NYC to Port Canaveral and the Bahamas. Splendor is a fine ship and perfect for NYC cruises especially if it is on the cool/cold side and they will cover the Lido deck with the sliding roof.

I hope you enjoy your cruises.:cool: