Rendezvous Caye through RCI questions

GSRDPM

I have been searching through the threads here and have read some conflicting information.

My extended family (10 years old through mid 70s) will be on the Liberty of the Seas in November 2014 and our first of two ports will be in Belize. We are considering this excursion to avoid having to tender into Belize City first. Some of the grandparents will probably not want to snorkel and would rather just relax on the beach. I think only our ship as well as a the Crystal Serenity are the only ships scheduled to be in port that day.

A few questions:

1. How difficult is it to find an area with shade.

2. I understand that they give you some straw mats to place on the sand, but I have seen pictures of some chairs. How difficult are they to come by?

3. How long are you on the island?

4. Most importantly, I have read of two scenarios with regards to orders of activities. Once in which the snorkelers leave the boat before the boat reaches the island and another where the boat docks at the island and snorkelers leave from the island. Which is the order of events based on recent experience.

5. What time are you typically back at the ship?

Thanks!

I'm interested too--we will be on the Liberty in November as well, twelve of us ages 9-69, and need to find an excursion, or excursions, for all.

We've been there before and enjoyed the river tubing, but I think some will be most interested in snorkeling. The long tender ride and even longer water taxi to the Cays is what makes this difficult, if doing independently.

We seldom take cruise line excursions, but might for this one just because we can skip the tendering. But, I'd like more info, as it will get expensive for that many people.

We may split the groups up, of course.

Well we've done this through Carnival, so I'll answer what I can. There were palapas for shade and we did not have a hard time finding one. We also used one chair and the mats. We snorkeled for close to an hour they divided us into groups according to skill level. When we finished we had an hour (or maybe a little longer on the island). We snorkeled from shore. We were in the advanced group which snorkeled about 3/4 around the island. the intermediate group went around 1/2 of the island. and the beginners did a smaller portion of reef close to the beach. (this is where all of the groups ended). If you wished, you could stay and snorkel some more or just enjoy the beach. Our tour left around 10:30 and returned around 2:30 and we left and returned directly from the ship.

Well we've done this through Carnival, so I'll answer what I can. There were palapas for shade and we did not have a hard time finding one. We also used one chair and the mats. We snorkeled for close to an hour they divided us into groups according to skill level. When we finished we had an hour (or maybe a little longer on the island). We snorkeled from shore. We were in the advanced group which snorkeled about 3/4 around the island. the intermediate group went around 1/2 of the island. and the beginners did a smaller portion of reef close to the beach. (this is where all of the groups ended). If you wished, you could stay and snorkel some more or just enjoy the beach. Our tour left around 10:30 and returned around 2:30 and we left and returned directly from the ship.

Thanks so much for the response. A couple of questions if you don't mind...

About how long was the tender right from the ship to the island?

A few of our group are in their 70's and early 80's. Well they won't be snorkeling, they would like to come along potentially enjoy time with their grandchildren. They would probably spend time relaxing on the beach. I remember one time when we were in Belize several years ago, the transferring from the ship to the tender was somewhat complicated and involves traveling down a ramp , onto a pilot boat, and over another Bridge like ramp onto the tender. Do you recall if the transfer to the tender seemed simple or potentially difficult for someone that might have limited balance or mobility?

Thanks from me too. I realize you were on Carnival, but I would like to be on the island longer, given the expense and the boat ride. I don't think the RCI one is much different, though.

My DH and I are the oldest in our group at 68 and 69 and we will definitely be snorkeling as we have snorkeled a lot and luckily are very able yet. Five of the seven kids are great swimmers and do snorkel around our lake--not the same as the ocean, I know. The other two can swim but not as well.

As it gets closer to the cruise I think I will just put out to the group the different options and let them decide; snorkel trip, tubing/zipline, ruins, etc., and maybe have a couple of groups going different directions. I wish Belize had an easy area to just go to a beach, since a couple of the adults would rather just relax on a beach with a lovely drink; the rest of us are more active.

We did not have to take a tender. The tour left directly from the ship. The boat that picked us up was bouncing a little in the waves as we stepped from the ship to the boat. There was some staff from carnival and the tour boat that helped people and off. The ride to the island was about 30-45 minutes. On the ride out, they gave everyone their snorkel gear. On the way back, they served punch (sadly no rum:p)

Thanks from me too. I realize you were on Carnival, but I would like to be on the island longer, given the expense and the boat ride. I don't think the RCI one is much different, though.

My DH and I are the oldest in our group at 68 and 69 and we will definitely be snorkeling as we have snorkeled a lot and luckily are very able yet. Five of the seven kids are great swimmers and do snorkel around our lake--not the same as the ocean, I know. The other two can swim but not as well.

As it gets closer to the cruise I think I will just put out to the group the different options and let them decide; snorkel trip, tubing/zipline, ruins, etc., and maybe have a couple of groups going different directions. I wish Belize had an easy area to just go to a beach, since a couple of the adults would rather just relax on a beach with a lovely drink; the rest of us are more active.

Somehow had missed previously that the maximum age for participation in this excursion is 80. Two in our party are actually over that age. They have no intention of snorkeling but would like to take the excursion just to be able to watch their grandchildren and enjoy some beach time. They have no intention of snorkeling. I have called Royal Caribbean and have asked if they would be able to pay for an participate in the excursion if they did not snorkel. The person on the phone recommended that this question be asked on board at the excursion desk. I was wondering if anyone had any prior experience with this.

Another option would be to take the "Tropical Island Getaway" to Water Caye, but the limited reviews on that excursion do not sound very promising....

Somehow had missed previously that the maximum age for participation in this excursion is 80. Two in our party are actually over that age. They have no intention of snorkeling but would like to take the excursion just to be able to watch their grandchildren and enjoy some beach time. They have no intention of snorkeling. I have called Royal Caribbean and have asked if they would be able to pay for an participate in the excursion if they did not snorkel. The person on the phone recommended that this question be asked on board at the excursion desk. I was wondering if anyone had any prior experience with this.

Another option would be to take the "Tropical Island Getaway" to Water Caye, but the limited reviews on that excursion do not sound very promising....

We had this same problem - we are 67 & 68 and do a lot of snorkeling. Tried to sign up for a snorkeling excursion offered by RCCL in Roatan - the age limit was 65!! RCCL told us that it was not their policy but the policy of the excursion company and there was nothing they could do about it.

Guest Nellsmom58
We had this same problem - we are 67 & 68 and do a lot of snorkeling. Tried to sign up for a snorkeling excursion offered by RCCL in Roatan - the age limit was 65!! RCCL told us that it was not their policy but the policy of the excursion company and there was nothing they could do about it.

Hi Carla,

Saw your post and thought you should know Don was allowed to snorkel when we went snorkeling in Roatán this past New Year's cruise on Princess. Keep looking because, as you know he is well past that age limit! Have a great time!

Judy

Hi Carla,

Saw your post and thought you should know Don was allowed to snorkel when we went snorkeling in Roatán this past New Year's cruise on Princess. Keep looking because, as you know he is well past that age limit! Have a great time!

Judy

Hi Judy what's happening? It was only one particular excursion that had the age limit, first time we ever ran into such a young age limit...lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

Guest Nellsmom58
Hi Judy what's happening? It was only one particular excursion that had the age limit, first time we ever ran into such a young age limit...lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

Hi Carla! Hope you and Dave are having fun out there! We're planning ahead to Alaska next June :) We were seriously considering New Years again for my 60th, but after Easter I am not so sure about holidays out of Galveston. Cannot wait for retirement to cruise outside the holiday schedules. Don is ready! ;)

Hi Carla! Hope you and Dave are having fun out there! We're planning ahead to Alaska next June :) We were seriously considering New Years again for my 60th, but after Easter I am not so sure about holidays out of Galveston. Cannot wait for retirement to cruise outside the holiday schedules. Don is ready! ;)

Highly recommend retirement. We have 9 cruises booked. Just back from Alaska end of May. Had perfect weather and Mt McKinley was clear for 3 days!! Had a great time but think it is a been there done that trip for us. Join us on the Serenade repo Apr 11 for 13 days. New Orleans to Boston - no kids or "others" on this cruise...lol