Epic Photo Review – Specialty Dining - Menus - Freestyle Dailies - Deck Tours

megacruiser

Mega,

Again, let me extend thanks for an incredible review. A dear friend and I are booked on the Epic in may as a mothers day treat to ourselves followed by a week in Tuscany. Your insights have given me an awesome afternoon perusing all your photos and helpful hints. Once again thanks

Following! Immensely helpful... Thank you. First time cruising via NCL Epic Solo Studios 12.28.14 New Years Cruise... Hoping for a fun group of solo cruisers!

Many thanks. I absolutely loved my Studio and the Lounge with complimentary espresso (etc) coffee machine. Hope you have a great time.

Regards

megacruiser

Mega,

You mentioned you were traveling on the Getaway in January. We are on the Jan 3 - 10 sailing. Are we lucky enough to be traveling with you?

Thanks for a great review!

Hello and thanks for the feedback. I'll be on the January 24th sailing; unlucky or lucky escape perhaps...:)

Can't wait... Have booked the UDP and trying to decide between the UBP and the Chef's Table. Weird choice you might think, but I don't like the thought of paying twice for one day's alcohol; they should give a discount for those on UBP...

Don't know if this has been raised before or what others think about this?

Regards

megacruiser

Just off the Epic and sadly they did NOT offer Chefs table on our cruise. WHAT? Oh, and beware, there is relatively no lobster to be found on this ship. WHAT?

The main dining room food is sub par and usually tasteless and cold, in hindsight we should have done UDP. Cagneys is pretty good (although Carnival's steak restaurant has it beat) and we also visited Teppanyaki.

At Cagneys we were willing to pay for another dinner to get a lobster tail...after hearing it was about a 2 oz tail and being talked out of it by the waiter, we didn't spend the $$ (they use that tail in a pasta dish). Teppanyaki has a small lobster tail as part of one of their dishes too...but if you expect to have a normal sized lobster tail as part of your normal cruise experience, you'll be disappointed as there aren't any.

If we take NCL again we'll have to do the UDP - the main dining room food is just not enjoyable.

Just off the Epic and sadly they did NOT offer Chefs table on our cruise. WHAT? Oh, and beware, there is relatively no lobster to be found on this ship. WHAT?

The main dining room food is sub par and usually tasteless and cold, in hindsight we should have done UDP. Cagneys is pretty good (although Carnival's steak restaurant has it beat) and we also visited Teppanyaki.

At Cagneys we were willing to pay for another dinner to get a lobster tail...after hearing it was about a 2 oz tail and being talked out of it by the waiter, we didn't spend the $$ (they use that tail in a pasta dish). Teppanyaki has a small lobster tail as part of one of their dishes too...but if you expect to have a normal sized lobster tail as part of your normal cruise experience, you'll be disappointed as there aren't any.

If we take NCL again we'll have to do the UDP - the main dining room food is just not enjoyable.

I was looking for lobster too! I missed out on the one and only seafood night. I did take advantage of the Prime Rib.

Also agree that The Manhattan Room was mediocre, we ended up going to Taste more often as we got better service there.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Many, many thanks for your incredibly thorough and well-written review. It was a pleasure to read.

We will be sailing on the Epic on 12/7 from Miami and are staying in a 2 bedroom villa in the Haven. First time Epic and Haven cruiser, although I have previously sailed NCL's Jewel and (Mediterranean) and on RCCL's Adventure of the Seas (Southern Caribbean) in regular balcony cabins. The Haven will surely be a treat to experience!

Once again, kudos on the amazing review and beautiful photos.

KSU

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just got back from a 7 day out of Miami, FL USA aboard the Epic.

Your review was spot on. Thank you again for taking the time to share your story with us.

I would like to add that there is a charge to visit the Ice Bar, $20.00 but they give you a choice of 2 drinks.

All the best

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks for all the feedback. I will be on the Getaway, two weeks from today... Can't wait to see how it compares to Epic. It will have to go a long way to beat the entertainment on the Epic. I will do a comparison of the two ships when I write my review...

Kind regards

megacruiser

Coffee Machine and Bar

EpicStudioLounge-4_zps79b6f408.jpg

Breakfast Time

EpicStudioLounge-5_zps9ef526b8.jpg

Seating, Meeting and Notice Boards...

EpicStudioLounge6-1_zps16c0b8c6.jpg

... and from the reverse angle

EpicStudioLounge7-2_zps03d99f8e.jpg

Next to come, the rest of Day 1 - POSH Club and Sailaway, Cirque Dreams Dinner Show and Shanghai’s Chinese Restaurant…

Writing these long reviews can be a soul-destroying experience if there is no feedback. So if at any point you decide to follow this review, I would really appreciate if you hit the reply button and type the word “Following”. This way I get an idea of how much interest there is.

Many thanks

megacruiser

I was so so glad to have been directed to your Studio Review! I was initially hesitant about the studio size,etc but I was tired in having to always pay a single supplement to travel solo and refused to take anymore cruises. I appreciate the pictures of the Lounge area and the recognition by NCL that solo/single travelers want to meet others in a similar situation and not have to be the "third wheel" sitting with other couples and families! ( no offense but just is not the same!) Thanks again. I board the Epic on Jan 18th.

Ron ( DocRonSD) from Palm Springs, CA