Looking for Cruise Line with Special Handicap Feature

Hi!

This is my first post so I hope I am playing right:cool:

I am a TA and have a customer who needs a specific feature in a restroom on a ship.

She needs the handrail to be located in FRONT of the toilet, not a side handrail.

Anyone with expertise in this, I would be so appreciative!

Thanks in advance

I don't know of any unit like that, but if she brought a walker that had locking wheels or no wheels, couldn't she place it there as she sat and use it to get back up? Or how about a commode chair minus the pail?

:::thinking out loud:::

M.

Hi!

I am a TA and have a customer who needs a specific feature in a restroom on a ship.

She needs the handrail to be located in FRONT of the toilet, not a side handrail.

Thanks in advance

Hi!

Thanks in advance

Standard positioning of grab bars for Accessible Cabins, Hotel Rooms or any public washroom for that matter is one grab on the wall directly next to the toilet ( whether right or left depends on location of wall) and one behind the toilet. You are not going to find any cruise line that has a grab bar directly in front of the toilet as by definition of an accessible wash room needs to be "accessible" . Meaning that the area directly in front of the toilet has to be clear of any obstacle to allow clearance for of a walker, wheelchair or mobility scooter .

Though others have suggested using a walker or even a commode chair as a grab bar , this option may not always be the best practical safe option as much depends on the ability of the person to be able to support pulling themselves up on a walker that it not solidly stationary. Regardless if it has locking wheels it still could easly move on the title floor possibly causing the individual to fall. Also have to remember that depending on sea conditions you have to take into consideration that the individual may have to deal with movement of the ship that can further cause movement of the walker. In leu of no stationary front grab bars the safest solution if the person does not feel comfortable using or does not have the ability/balance to use a walker safely to assist in getting up than that person request assistance from someone else traveling with them.

Could your client need the rail in front of the commode to pull him/her to a standing position? If so, an elevated commode seat might be the answer. Then place a walker directly in front to assist in standing. Otherwise they will have to pivot towards the wall and use the handrail attached to it. I've never seen one directly in front of the commode.

The toilets in the cabins sit higher than most toilets in a normal bathroom. That said there is no such thing as a wall in front of the toilet.

Your client may be more comfortable with a portable commode, which sit high and can be placed next to her bed. She can tag it and it would be delivered to her cabin, just like luggage. Or can be camouflaged in a hanging bag.