XCaret, Xel-ha, or Chaakanab???

tispwisp

This is our first visit to Cozumel and we are weighing all options. We are thinking about doing either XCaret, Xel-ha, or Chaakanab. Is there one preferred over the others? Are they all about the same? Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks so much!

Our family loved Xcaret because there were so many varied things to do - from watching or swimming with dolphins to snorkeling to just hanging out at the beach. Our favorite thing to do though was to float/swim in the underground river. A spectacular experience. Especially if its extremely hot outside - the underground river is chillingly cold.

Xel-ha was good but we found it to be much more spread out. We did not go to Chaakanab.

I HAVE BEEN LOOKING IN TO GOING TO XCARET AS WELL; BUT IT SEEMS THAT i HAVE TO GO ON MY OWN, BECAUSE THE TOURS THAT OFFER XCARET DEPART TO EARLY AND RETURN TO LATE:( WHICH WOULD MAKE ME LOSE MY SHIP ( MIRACLE 12/18/05 )

I WONDER IF ANYONE HAS GONE ON THEIR OWN FROM cOZUMEL???:confused:

I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE SOME INFO.

ISLANDER 1763

I HAVE BEEN LOOKING IN TO GOING TO XCARET AS WELL; BUT IT SEEMS THAT i HAVE TO GO ON MY OWN, BECAUSE THE TOURS THAT OFFER XCARET DEPART TO EARLY AND RETURN TO LATE:( WHICH WOULD MAKE ME LOSE MY SHIP ( MIRACLE 12/18/05 )

I WONDER IF ANYONE HAS GONE ON THEIR OWN FROM cOZUMEL???:confused:

I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE SOME INFO.

ISLANDER 1763

The Miracle does offer the excursion to Xcaret. It leaves shortly after arrival and returns well before you depart (the ship usually leaves at 10 local and the excursion returns to the pier at about 3 local). So, you have about 6 hours to do what you want in Cozumel afterwards.

I do not recommend doing it on your own do to the expense of getting there and the unreliable ferry schedules. Nothing like missing your ship due to wandering off on your own...just saw it happen Friday night with a passenger on the Miracle! And don't forget you have the added assurance and insurance when you book through the ship just in case an emergency does happen.

Thanks for the info. Caro. I have been looking all over the tours that Carnival offers in Cozumel, and can't find anything to Xcaret:( . I don't seem to convinced to stick with going to Chankanaab park. I wish there was another option available to go??? What else can you recomend?:o

Islander 1763

Thank you very much; I followed the link you posted; It shows on the general excursions offered in Cozumel:D . The problem that I have is when I go to the web page to book the excursion for my sailing date(12/18/05), it is not shown as offered???:( I wonder if this is because it is not available for the date of my travel (12/18/05) ? or ???? I do not know the reason. I will give Carnival a call to find out What is going on.

Islander 1763

Thank you very much; I followed the link you posted; It shows on the general excursions offered in Cozumel:D . The problem that I have is when I go to the web page to book the excursion for my sailing date(12/18/05), it is not shown as offered???:( I wonder if this is because it is not available for the date of my travel (12/18/05) ? or ???? I do not know the reason. I will give Carnival a call to find out What is going on.

Islander 1763

The only reason I can think of is that your ship will be arriving late that day or leaving early for some reason. Xcaret is open 365 days a year. The other alternative is Xelha...not as fun in my opinion but cool. But that is also a mainland tour and requires the same amount of time. So if Xcaret isn't offered for the reason I mentioned, Xelha won't be either. Nor will Chichen Itza, Tulum or any of the other mainland tours.

We are on the 8/21/05 Miracle. The Xcaret excursion, as well as a different Chankubub excursion was offered. After the latest hurricane, both excursions dropped off the Carnival site. Since we had planned to do Xcaret, I called Carnival to see why it was no longer there. They said Carnival had determined the damage from the last hurricane was significant enough that they discontinued the Xcaret trip for the time being.

We've decided to go to Tulum, and then to the minigolf in Cozumel. We'll just have to go back to Cozumel again to visit Xcaret, and all the other great spots there. Sounds like a good land vacation destination.

Caro, what were the circumstances of the Miracle passenger who missed the ship? Would love to hear the story behind it.

Thanks for the update Idlewood4.

It's sad. I hadn't realized that the hurricane had done so much damage. Xcaret is such a beautiful and serene eco-park staffed by wonderful and friendly people. Hope they get it up and running again soon.

After the latest hurricane, both excursions dropped off the Carnival site. Since we had planned to do Xcaret, I called Carnival to see why it was no longer there. They said Carnival had determined the damage from the last hurricane was significant enough that they discontinued the Xcaret trip for the time being.

Caro, what were the circumstances of the Miracle passenger who missed the ship? Would love to hear the story behind it.

Well, there are about 200 passengers from Carnival ships at Xcaret today! Yes, tours were not run for 2 weeks after the storm. But everything was back to normal as of August 1st. You can book the tour on board with NO problem. Xcaret is not discontinued!!!!! Carnival is running it strong.

I am not sure what the story was last Friday night with the passenger. I left the pier as the ship pulled away. Was on my way home and saw a man walking about a mile from Puerta Maya with some shopping bags staring in disbelief as the ship was pulling out. I imagine alcohol was involved!!!

You can book the Xcaret excursion from Calica/PDC only. Its not offered from Cozumel for some reason. booked it from PDC,but really wanted to do it from Cozumel.

Cant book any ruins tours from Coz either.I know it takes longer from Cozumel,but I cant do everything from PDC,so was hoping to do one or the other from Coz...

Maybe the cruise line isnt offering the mainland Xcaret and Xel-Ha packages because that is the vecinity that Emily went ashore. Did they receive damages along the lines that Chankanaab did? or were they worse?

Also there is a company called Fantasy Tours that offers those tours to cruisers and I believe you can find them at

http://www.shoretrips.com

Island Jim,that cant be possible if they have tours going from PDC.They just do not have the ferry ride tour over from Cozumel.

If there was so much damage they would not be doing one from PDC unless it has something to do with the Ferry.Which I guess it could.

Maybe in another month or so it will change.Sure hope so!

Maybe the cruise line isnt offering the mainland Xcaret and Xel-Ha packages because that is the vecinity that Emily went ashore. Did they receive damages along the lines that Chankanaab did? or were they worse?

No as I have posted numerous times over the past 8 days, Xcaret is fine. The only reason you would not be able to do a mainland tour while you are here is if you are not in port long enough. If Tulum is being offered, then Xcaret will be available too since the tour time is the same, the tender you take over to the mainland is the same.

BTW,thanks for the thread to the tours,will check that out.

Now that I think about it,I bet it does have something to do with the ferry.I seem to recall a few ppl saying NOT to do a tour outside the ship because the ferry was not as reliable as it has been in the past.Since your in Cozumel,have you heard anything about the ferry? With 13 hrs,I would hope that I could make it back to the ship before it leaves.

Thank you again IslandJim ! Dot

Please tell me why you don't like Chankanaab. My daughter wants to swim with the dolphins and this looked like the best place to do it -- Royal Swim. I saw that there is a place called Atlantida. My kids are almost 17 and 18. I don't care about the dolphins and would book this independently. I am more into snorkeling and would love to find some nice seashells. Any suggestions that you may have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Miracle 12/18/05`

Carnival is offering the tour to Tulum; but not to Xcaret???:confused: When I go to Carnival's web page, You can see Xcaret offerd as well as Tulum But when you open the page where you can book the tours in Cozumel, only Tulum is offered??? :confused: .

The only tour I want to do in Cozumel is to go visit Xcaret; again it looks like I need some help:o

Islander1763

Please tell me why you don't like Chankanaab. My daughter wants to swim with the dolphins and this looked like the best place to do it -- Royal Swim. I saw that there is a place called Atlantida. My kids are almost 17 and 18. I don't care about the dolphins and would book this independently. I am more into snorkeling and would love to find some nice seashells. Any suggestions that you may have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I don't like it because I don't have kids and prefer a more natural, tranquil setting. There is so much else to do at Xcaret including snorkeling. Unfortunately, no shells here really. Some pieces of coral and things but the waters and beaches of Cozumel are protected by a marine park. You are not allowed to take anything from the water or sand. Both Dolphin Discovery and Atlantida offer the same type of dolphin programs - great for kids.

Miracle 12/18/05`

Carnival is offering the tour to Tulum; but not to Xcaret???:confused: When I go to Carnival's web page, You can see Xcaret offerd as well as Tulum But when you open the page where you can book the tours in Cozumel, only Tulum is offered??? :confused: .

The only tour I want to do in Cozumel is to go visit Xcaret; again it looks like I need some help:o

Islander1763

I 100% guarantee that you can do Xcaret when you arrive on the Miracle in December. I don't know why it isn't showing up on the list of shore excursions for your trip. I called Chip McKee last week to inform him that Xcaret excursion was omitted. He assured me that it would be taken care of. If it doesn't show up online, you can book directly on the ship.

Once again I thank you for the info. I will be looking forward to visiting Xcaret in December. :) Do you have any sugestions as what to do in Xcaret as to take advantage of the day there? Do you know if the tour also gives you enough time once you return to Cozumel to do some shopping ?

Islander1763

Archived