Dream or Elation.. With 6 & 3 year olds

brittknee

We're trying to decide between the two ships during Mardi gras next year. We will have a 6 year old and 3 year old with us so I'm a little hesitant with the 7 day cruise, since this will be our first time cruising.. BUT I realllly want a cove balcony! So... Opinions between the 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks I forgot about the Dream having waterworks. I'll have to look at the height requirement for that.

I'm a little concerned with the 7 day being a bit much on the ship for them.

I've taken my kids on both, and have written reviews on both (if you're interested, I will post the links). My kids are a bit older (7&9), but I think they enjoyed the Dream more because of water works, and our cove balcony (you really can't beat the cove balcony!). Aside from that, we loved both ships for different reasons. You really can't go wrong either way!

i've never been on the Dream but I have been on the Elation 3 times and going on her for my 4th time this August. Love that ship. She is getting refurb in October/November for a 2.0 upgrade. Good luck and have fun!!!!

We were just on the Dream in March. My 5&3 year olds LOVED the Dream!! The waterworks is great. And the camp carnival on the Dream was fantastic! I understand the hesitation of 7 day for the first cruise but its a nice mix of sea and port days. And you can't beat having a balcony especially with the kids. Nice to be able to enjoy the balcony when the little ones are in bed. I highly recommend the Dream!

Thanks I forgot about the Dream having waterworks. I'll have to look at the height requirement for that.

I'm a little concerned with the 7 day being a bit much on the ship for them.

GD has cruised at 18 months. age 3 and age 6 she was busy the entire week. the 7 day is great -- the shorter one will be a huge party boat that time of year

just checked and the elation is doing 4/5 days-- if you do not take the dream take the 5 day cruise.

Edited by serene56

We were just on the Dream in March. My 5&3 year olds LOVED the Dream!! The waterworks is great. And the camp carnival on the Dream was fantastic! I understand the hesitation of 7 day for the first cruise but its a nice mix of sea and port days. And you can't beat having a balcony especially with the kids. Nice to be able to enjoy the balcony when the little ones are in bed. I highly recommend the Dream!

Yes, I agree about the balcony. Great place to escape to when the kids are sleeping! A great place to escape in general, really, like when everyone's taking turns with showering, etc. I've sailed twice without a balcony (my first cruise because I didn't know any better, and my elation cruise because we weren't paying for a suite!) and I will try to never sail without one again! Although it's a shame because I did love the elation.

Bluejay that cruise was our 7th one and first balcony! Realized what we were missing that's for sure! I think we are going to do the Elation for a short New Years cruise and the suites are so much more, I think we are doing ocean view. I will miss the balcony!!

We decided to cruise next year for Mardi Gras too. I was set on booking the Elation, for me, the wife and my 12 year old twin girls, until I showed them pictures of the Dream with the slides. Now we are booked on the Dream in 2 Cove Balconies (my 23yo son is coming too). Can't wait, hope to see you there.

We cruised out of New Orleans during Mardi Gras a few years ago. We are from Atlanta and have never been to New Orleans before. Be prepared for the traffic. We had planned on arriving at port around noon. My GPS said we had about 30 minutes to arrive. Traffic was stopped on the highway so I told my husband to get off the highway and we would try the back streets. BAD IDEA! We were one of the last passengers on board. I thought we would miss the ship. It took us almost 4 hours to go about 5 miles and 3.5 of those were trying to get back on the highway again.

Enjoy your cruise! We are on the Dream in January.

Did you really mean the actual week of Mardi Gras? If so, heaven help you! I would arrive the day before and stay in a hotel that is within walking distance of the port. That place is insane that week.

Anyway, having been on both ships, I would have to agree that with the extra water slides and all, plus the 2 extra days, that the Dream would be better.

Good Luck!

5 days on the Elation will feel longer than 7 days on the Dream, and I don't mean this in a good way! :o

Elation is literally half the size and 3 times as old as the Dream.

We picked the Fascination for our son's 1st cruise (because it was a shorter cruise on a small ship) and we ended up pretty bored and anxious to get off. Ever since, we've selected newer and larger ships, (including the Dream) with more things to do. Sailing on the Dream was a considerably superior experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tapi

I do have to agree with TAPI that the Dream may be the better experience, however, sailing on the Fascination is not exactly the same as sailing on the Elation. I have been on both ships and can honestly say that I really love the Elation. I understand that different families enjoy different activities and everything, but I wouldn't judge all cruises on the same class of ship in the same manner. In my experience, any five day cruise has been infinitely better than being at work.

I have been on the Elation with my entire family (wife and three daughters) and we all had a great time every time. It all depends on what you and your children like to do. In fact, with them only being 6 and 3, you may find that it is a bit harder to drag them around the larger ship and the Elation may be a better fit for you. You never know.

Again, not wanting to stir up trouble, but, if you do pick the Elation, I wouldn't want you to go in with the mindset that it could be a bad vacation.

Good luck!

Edited by Wheels87

Hands down, the Dream!! Took my lils on the Dream when they were 3 and 5! They had a blast. The Dream has an area of little slides for the shorter kids. DD spent hours upon hours on the little slides and water spouts. DS was tall enough for bigger ones 42" plus (I believe) and he had a great time!

I have never sailed Elation yet, planning to go without the lils this December! However, I do not think I would want to be anywhere near NOLA around Mardi Gras....but I do not like crowds. In addition, it seems clear to me that the Dream has more to offer kids.

My kids love to cruise and even after 7 days, they are always begging to stay on the when the week is up. I really don't think you will regret a 7 day Dream!!